First real exercise in 5 years

Options
I consider this a good success. I've been mostly just lazy for almost 5 years at this point. I would just lay in bed mostly and just go online and waste time. I'm also a full time student and part time worker, so I used that as an excuse to not exercise. I joined back here about 2 weeks ago and found out I was 317lbs at the time. I changed up my diet immediately, no more college junk food, and eating the really good stuff, fruits, veggies, chicken breasts, etc. I ordered an exercise bike with my tax refund and got it set up today, so I decided for once to go for a little ride on it. I pedaled as fast as I could for a minute, relax one minute, and repeat. I managed to do that for a little over 15 minutes, which I think was pretty good for someone who just laid around and did nothing. :)

Replies

• andst5001
    andst5001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Sounds like you're on the right track now. Good luck! :smiley:
  • Chihaku_Zeal
    Chihaku_Zeal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    andst5001 wrote: »
    Good for you! Sounds like you're on the right track now. Good luck! :smiley:

Thanks so much. Definitely felt the burn today for once. I think this was a good investment. Hopefully I'll get my endurance up and try to go for 20 or even 30 minutes.
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I commend you for starting this process, it's not an easy decision for sure. Times will be difficult and you will feel at some points that it's just not worth it. I advise you to keep getting on this site for support and to constantly check the success stories blog. It has absolutely helped me in my journey and I hope it does the same for you! I hope to see you succeed in all the goals you want to. Good luck and great job!
  • naomillion
    naomillion Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Nice! Keep pushing then you can only improve!
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • mandalunia
    mandalunia Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    keep going I swear it gets easier! Someday soon you may love it!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I consider this a good success. I've been mostly just lazy for almost 5 years at this point. I would just lay in bed mostly and just go online and waste time. I'm also a full time student and part time worker, so I used that as an excuse to not exercise. I joined back here about 2 weeks ago and found out I was 317lbs at the time. I changed up my diet immediately, no more college junk food, and eating the really good stuff, fruits, veggies, chicken breasts, etc. I ordered an exercise bike with my tax refund and got it set up today, so I decided for once to go for a little ride on it. I pedaled as fast as I could for a minute, relax one minute, and repeat. I managed to do that for a little over 15 minutes, which I think was pretty good for someone who just laid around and did nothing. :)

This is a fabulous start :) Now you just need to keep the momentum going (I know, easier said then done sometimes). It will get easier, and you will eventually get to a point whereby you WANT to go and do it, and do more and better then before. It will happen :)

I started out walking and the first mile I walked, carrying the equivalent of another person in weight, was awful. I was a wreck. But I went every day (and still do) then took up cycling again, and I've recently added cardio and strength training at the gym into the mix as well. I can now walk a long way (I think that the most in one day was 14 miles) without tiring and cycle between 15 and 30 miles daily. Strength training I'm just a beginner at but even there I've seen some improvement. I've gone from the biggest couch potato in the world (who's only exercise was out to the car) to being someone who feels like anything is possible. Even things I never thought I'd achieve.

Keep up the good work - you're worth it :)
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For indoor workouts (treadmill/biking/elliptical), maybe try planning on rewarding yourself while working out.

My gym has WIFI, so if have to run indoors due to weather, which happens fairly often here, I bring my Phone or Ipad and watch Netflix while exercising. I'm almost finished the

At least for me, if I don't have mental distraction, I'll just focus on the timer/distance meter.... not fun. When I'm outside, I don't have this problem.

Anyway, it sounds like you're taken the most important step, the first one. Good luck to your future success!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!