Looking less than what you weigh?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    All this talk about US size 8! I'm a US size 8. I weigh a lot more than people think I do.
    lgz0cjnts3t1.jpg
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's always skewed and each person is different. Me & my sister in law both weighed exactly the same just after Christmas. Both were 11st 13. However; I am a UK size 10-12 and she is a UK size 14. Both roughly the same height give or take, she is a couple of inches taller maybe. I do cardio 3 times per week and do extensive weight lifting 3x per week. My sister in law didn't do any form of exercise. Our bodies couldn't look anymore different, but our weight was exactly the same.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I read all these posts....maybe I'm just a terrible judge too.

No, I think you are like that Stacy example people post from NerdFitness -- you look much thinner (er, leaner) than I did at the same weight (I'm 5'3), because of strength training. My former trainer was 140 and 5'3 and looked much smaller too (much like you, and that's a compliment).

And you ARE lean, I'm sure, if you know your BF%.

What I think is useless is for someone 50-100 lbs overweight and genuinely with a lot to lose, and they know it, to worry about whether they look their weight. No one knows what particular weights look like and people's perceptions are off in all kinds of ways.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No, i think most people who think they look less have no idea how a normal non-overweight body looks anymore. I've never seen someone who looks more or less than they actually weigh.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm short and people always think I way 120 max. I wish! I'm 140. Also, the fattest part of me is my stomach and I do a pretty good job at hiding it which is probably another reason people think I'm thinner than I am. I have pretty thin legs and arms so if I dress well, I look a size or two smaller. I remember many times going from weeks of wearing crappy outfits to dressing nice and everyone asks if I've lost weight! Clothes can make a world of difference.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    Options
    @jodietownsend03 Wow! You look awesome!
    @SierraFatToSkinny Damn! You kinda remind me of Jodie because you guys both seemed to have lost the weight in pretty much one area (Jodie in her hips, you in your waist). It's incredible! You guys look amazing!

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    This post reminds me of a pastor who told the story of being at a hospital and seeing a lady step on a scale to weigh herself. "Do you mind if I guess your weight?"
    She told him she didn't and when she discovered that his guess was just a few pounds off she asked, "How did you do that?"
    "Oh, it was easy," he said, "I used to weigh hogs."

When my weight was floating around 270, I had convinced myself that I really wasn't that much overweight. I think we all tend to do that. And most of our friends are too kind to say, "you look like a big fat hog." Instead, they say things like, "You could lose a few pounds, but you don't look bad." We look in the mirror and see one part of the body that we focus on. For me it was my belly, but we don't notice other things, like our legs or our arms, or our face. We may experience health issues, like shortness of breath, sore knees, acid re-flux, or a general tendency to fill ill, but we tend to say things like "I'm just not as young as I used to be" rather than saying, "I'm obese."

From experience I can say that I don't believe a person who is overweight is far enough removed from the situation to say that they don't look as heavy as they are. Once they lose the weight and get down to the weight they thought they looked like they were, they are much more likely to say, "I can't believe I thought I looked this weight!"
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    From my perspective, I've never looked less than I weighed. Other people either said nothing or made insulting remarks. Currently, people don't believe I've lost 180#. Yeah, okay, I'm totally lying.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    This post reminds me of a pastor who told the story of being at a hospital and seeing a lady step on a scale to weigh herself. "Do you mind if I guess your weight?"
    She told him she didn't and when she discovered that his guess was just a few pounds off she asked, "How did you do that?"
    "Oh, it was easy," he said, "I used to weigh hogs."

When my weight was floating around 270, I had convinced myself that I really wasn't that much overweight. I think we all tend to do that. And most of our friends are too kind to say, "you look like a big fat hog." Instead, they say things like, "You could lose a few pounds, but you don't look bad." We look in the mirror and see one part of the body that we focus on. For me it was my belly, but we don't notice other things, like our legs or our arms, or our face. We may experience health issues, like shortness of breath, sore knees, acid re-flux, or a general tendency to fill ill, but we tend to say things like "I'm just not as young as I used to be" rather than saying, "I'm obese."

From experience I can say that I don't believe a person who is overweight is far enough removed from the situation to say that they don't look as heavy as they are. Once they lose the weight and get down to the weight they thought they looked like they were, they are much more likely to say, "I can't believe I thought I looked this weight!"

It was actually incredibly freeing to admit to myself that I was obese and that yes, I looked the weight. Coming to terms with the fact that I had 50kg to lose helped me actually lose the weight.

I actually shocked people when started applying that word to myself. There seems to be something taboo about using it to describe one's self. Yet being realistic about where I was and where I need to go helped me get on the way there.

Oddly enough, 30kg later and my brain is once again lagging behind. Now that I'm at the weight I thought I was at (BMI 29), my brain is still thinking I'm at the weight I was actually at (BMI40). Leads to some funny situations in changing rooms when I pick up items several sizes too large just because my brain hasn't made the latest switch. :tongue:

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Tangential anecdote: When I was pregnant, I got an ultrasound. The tech looked at my chart before she started and actually gasped. She had assumed I was newly pregnant. I was actually fully loaded -- overdue by a week. We decided it was because I'm tall with broad shoulders and a larger chest. I'm sure also being overweight contributed as well, but she was too tactful to say so. The baby was just tucked right in there.

I think people don't have a good eye for it. That said, some people are just more dense. My son and daughter are the same height and about the same slender size, but she is significantly heavier. We always joke that she's made out of lead.
  • ftbskinnynow1
    ftbskinnynow1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No, at 5'5" you do not look like you weigh 274lbs. You probably have dense bones or more muscle than the average person your height and weight. I have always weighed about 20lbs or so more than most people would guess. I don't really know why but I've lossed and gained weight a few times and I can say that I notice my body measurements are very similar to what I weighed when I was less heavy but exercised a lot less so I attribute it to muscle. You carry your weight well --that's a good thing. You're not delusional or skewed. Every body is different. Focus on your personal fitness goals and not on other people's perception or solely on the number on the scale.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Even my doctor thinks I weigh less. Its hilarious when they go to weigh me and I say " you are going to need that quite a bit more to the right ." I tend to have a flat tummy , small waist and carry my weight through hips, thighs, butt. Also I have friends that weigh a lot less than me ( I mean by 40-50 pounds) and we wear the same size clothes. The pants are loose on my waist but tight through thighs, butt and on them they are tight on waist but loose on legs and butt.
  • br1tt3rb33
    br1tt3rb33 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yess! This is a real problem. I am overweight for my height and my family does not agree and disrespects my food choices by always sending me home with desserts and junk food because I "don't need to lose weight". Okay. Firstly, any one who doesn't see me in my birthday suit doesn't know how disgusted I am with myself. Secondly, I know my BMI and I am overweight! I tried explaining to them I can't eat all this crap like they did and they're "fine". Well we have a more sedentary life style than you know, people over 80 years old did. And how dare they tell me they are fine and I need to eat MORE, when they have diabetes! I guess misery loves company and my own family wishes for me to suffer with them.. Because of this I have only lost 13 pounds and have 31 more pounds to go! I should already be at my goal weight but I am being held back by family and sometimes even friends. Everyone always wants you to eat, eat, and eat some more. Ugh!
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    Options
    br1tt3rb33 wrote: »
    Yess! This is a real problem. I am overweight for my height and my family does not agree and disrespects my food choices by always sending me home with desserts and junk food because I "don't need to lose weight". Okay. Firstly, any one who doesn't see me in my birthday suit doesn't know how disgusted I am with myself. Secondly, I know my BMI and I am overweight! I tried explaining to them I can't eat all this crap like they did and they're "fine". Well we have a more sedentary life style than you know, people over 80 years old did. And how dare they tell me they are fine and I need to eat MORE, when they have diabetes! I guess misery loves company and my own family wishes for me to suffer with them.. Because of this I have only lost 13 pounds and have 31 more pounds to go! I should already be at my goal weight but I am being held back by family and sometimes even friends. Everyone always wants you to eat, eat, and eat some more. Ugh!

I would just keep being belligerent. I know especially for non-assertive types this is difficult, but if you don't act like your life is on the line, they may never take you seriously. I had to do this with my family. My mom used to get frustrated by me weighing everything because it was "messing up" her system for serving dinner. I just kept doing it. Now, she admires me for being so dedicated. I even got her to start logging and losing weight! Keep pushing. Throw the sweets in the garbage right in front of them if you have to. Be aggressive.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you ask. There are a lot of people IRL who know me and think I weigh too little. I've had to stop talking to some people about how I'm still trying to lose those last few lbs. of fat because they just argue with me. This is based on appearance alone, which is only the parts they can see. I hide my belly fat pretty well, and that is where all of my remaining fat seems to be located. My arms are so thin that I can see veins regardless of how well I'm hydrated, but I still have this huge gut!

Recently, I had this conversation with my endocrinologist (I have type 1 diabetes and see an endocrinologist for that) as I'm trying to make changes to get rid of the remaining fat. He started to argue with me about whether I still needed to lose weight, obviously based on appearance. So he used my weight / height and did a quick BMI calculation, which showed I'm within the "normal" range, but at the high side. He still couldn't believe it because I apparently appear really thin. I didn't take off my shirt, but if I had, he would realize how fat I really am.

Though I have fat left to lose, it is all concentrated in an area that is covered pretty well. Everyone else seems to think I weigh too little. They are wrong, and I know something they don't - that there is a big chunk of belly fat.

Also, I believe the proliferation of obesity in the U.S. skews perception. Because a large majority of the population is overweight or obese, it has become considered "normal" and "healthy" to be overweight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    br1tt3rb33 wrote: »

take said dessert, get it home, put it in the bin... or take it into work the following day.. job done.

or just don't take it. your choice!

don't talk to your family about your weight, and then they wont have chance to comment.
  • br1tt3rb33
    br1tt3rb33 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have just started the throwing food away approach as of recent after talking with one supportive friend. She and I both have a hard time throwing food away coming from a childhood where we've known hunger. Other than that I don't know what to do so that I am not rude. I can't be aggressive towards certain family members and wasteful. I really struggle with choosing to throw food away. :/
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am still technically obese...my goal is to lose maybe 20 more poundsbjbeq1dhxe5z.jpg