How to quit cigarettes

Options

Replies

• MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in 1994 - after almost 30 years of the habit. A few things helped me.

First I realized what a control freak I am, and that cigarettes were controlling way too many aspects of my life. I wouldn't go to a movie, because it meant 2-3 hours without one. I didn't want to fly anywhere because I couldn't smoke. I dreaded visiting certain relatives in the winter, because I'd have to go outside to smoke. I *hate* not being in control, so hated cigarettes for controlling me. BTW, I didn't tell anyone I was quitting, because I didn't want the pressure or recriminations in case I failed.

1) I set a date after which would not buy another pack
    2) I made my final pack last a LONG time which probably helped wean me off them a bit
    3) The only one around I could bum from was my boss. How many time can you ask your boss for a cigarette without it being very annoying?
    4) I took up needlepoint, knitting & crochet. Anything to keep your hands busy helps.
    5) Procrastination. If I wanted a cigarette I told myself to do something else for 15 minutes & then if I still *really* wanted one, I'd go buy a pack
    6) I cleaned the kitchen *immediately* after meals, so the old "after dinner smoke" trigger was removed
    7) Baby carrots were a somewhat useful substitute
    8) Almost forgot this one. I was spending about $20 a week on cigarettes. I started a savings stash into which I put a $20 bill every Saturday. Today that would be more like a $50 bill I guess? Seeing the money add up was a great incentive. After 12 months you'd have $600 to spend on something special for yourself :#

For the first 30 days or so it's pretty difficult. After that it becomes much easier. I never even thought about cigarettes after 90 days or so.

Good luck! It's well worth the effort.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I was hacking and coughing and had enough! I quite cold turkey NY Eve 1990 and never looked back. The first week was very rough, but I bought bags of oranges and the peeling, and segments helped my fingers stay busy. Plus all the vitamin C... so that was my trick! Good luck your body and life force will love you more....
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke-free for almost 8 years now. I used Chantix and it was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done! The one tip I will offer that I think helped me a lot is to try and break the psychological triggers before you quit. Driving was a big one for me, so a few months before I quit, I stopped smoking in my car. Then I made myself wait 15-20 minutes after a meal before I would light up. Once I broke those habits, it was far less traumatic to give up the cigarettes entirely. Good luck!
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend this book .....It helped me tremendously ..I have been smoked free for a little over 3 years
    Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking

YES!!! 100% agree! That booked helped me be smoke free 6+ years? Who knows - I stopped counting! DON'T FEED THE NICOTINE MONSTER! HA!!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 6 years ago. I cried for days, like I lost my best friend. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but the most wonderful thing I could've done for myself. I smoked for many many years and suffer from Anxiety, cigarettes acted as an anti depressant for me as well. Now I am a fitness junkie...I traded one addiction for another, but this one is actually good for me. I wish you all the best and feel free to reach out to me if you need extra support. I know how hard it is to quit!! :)
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm quitting one cig/habit at a time.

I first stopped smoking at work (this was especially easy because I did it when I started a new job). I did though keep my breaks and either chat with folks or walk during break instead.

Then I stopped smoking in the mornings which by the way makes my mornings 15 minutes faster!

I then stopped smoking while driving to work. Then I stopped smoking while driving to lunch. Then I stopped smoking after dinner. You get the picture. I do still smoke on occasion but I know I'm almost there.

Money is a big factor for me. I get more and more specific about my spending. I ran the numbers and that makes it easier not to light up more times than not. Put the money in an I-Want-Fund. I want a new car, I want to go to Australia. Whatever.

Also, the more I exercise/am-active the less I want to smoke.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I was a hardcore cigar smoker, and switched to cigarettes thinking I was going to be able to reduce and quit on my own. Didn't work!

In the end, I used Chantix and an electronic device called a QuitKey. During the week that I was ramping up the dosage of Chantix, I told the QuitKey whenever I smoked. Then after I got on a full dose level of Chantix, the QuitKey told me when to smoke and brought me down to zero in about 34 days. I stayed on Chantix for another month, then ramped down the dosage over about 10 days.

Worked like a charm. Never going back. Good luck to you...you CAN do it!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr's 'Easy way to quit smoking' clinic. I cannot recommend it enough. Best money I ever spent. They have them in a lot of cities in the US and even have them here in Ireland!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You really have to make up your mind. That's as simple as it gets. It's also hard.

Seriously, though, it is a decision. Don't make it anything more than that. YOU control YOU.

If you want to quit..Quit..I smoked since I was 13-14 years old..quit once for about 4 years..12 hours in divorce court and I started again...I am 58 now..quit cold turkey on my Birthday Sept 28th 2014.

did not change anything. I went down to the smoking area with my friends at work. I had about 1/2 pack of smokes left..I kept them for awhile..I simply made up my mind to quit and I quit.

I know it isn't easy, BUT life isn't easy..most things that stop us are excuses.

I need this to quit..or I have to stop this..or ..whatever..

Truth is..you don't need to do anything, except quit.

I wish you all the best.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This is a post I made a couple years ago now:

Quitting smoking is the easiest thing on earth. I've done it hundreds of times.

In all seriousness, I smoked from age 13. Some days, months, years I would be a pack a day smoker, some days, months years I would give up, or only have a few, or only when I was drinking.

I was 30 when I gave up my last pay every couple of days habit and it was only about a year ago (33) that I finally stopped stealing smokes off my friends when I was drunk. It finally just started tasting awful, so matter how in my cups I was.

I think for me the key was very similar to weight loss, that if you slip up, it's no reason to think "I've blown it" and go back to bad habits. Many a time I would want a smoke when I was partying, so I'd buy a pack and whaddaya know, keep smoking the next day and bam, I'm back in the habit.

Forgive yourself the slip ups but don't let them become excuses to give up givving up! Also forgive yourself if you gain some weight from snacking, chew the top off every pen in the house, become a gum cracker, develop an obsession with mints or any other distraction technique :)
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Another vote for Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit...I could Never have imagined how easy it was!

Oh yeah, it'll be 5 years for me next month!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    A thousand ways to quit. All share determination, hard work, failure, and never giving up.
  • Cheeryohs
    Cheeryohs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I quit 20 years ago. I was at the doctors office and picked up a Readers Digest and read a story about nicotine. I had already been trying to quit for about a year. I was only 25 years old and it was already taking a toll on my health. So this article drew my attention. It described what nicotine did to your brain as like a river that just gets deeper and wider, as soon as the water recedes slightly, as the time between cigarettes, the urge to fill it up kicks in and you have to smoke, which overflows and creates a deeper, wider, raging river.
    So....I decided I would try the patch again. I used that imagery for the 3 months I weened myself with the patch. I envisioned that river receding and that mud on the banks drying up. And every day it would do it again. After a month I imagined that dried up river bank growing grass. As that river got thinner, and more shallow, I imagined that new land growing grass and wild flowers as that river turned into a creek, then a stream, until finally it was just a beautiful meadow.

After the 3 months on the patch, I still had to continue with my new habits. Instead of smoking, I chewed gum, drank more water, brushed my teeth more. I chewed gum every day for a good 10 years. I haven't needed the gum for a long time now.

So creating new habits is key, but so is changing your thinking.
    You can do it!
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 8 years, what it took was just really wanting it badly enough. Patches, gum and most other things I tried failed.. you have to be ready to quit and REALLY want it and then it'll be easy. When I quit I also didn't diet at all, eating whatever you want in the first few days helps lol but also staying really active. I also didn't drink alcohol for the first few months because for me it was a huge trigger.. now I rarely drink and I'm actually super jazzed about that. I hope you succeed, it's a tough journey but it's worth it. :)
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is not easy! I smoked heavily for many years and attempted to quit many times. Tried the patches, gum, hypnosis and group therapy (gum and the patches several times each.)

What finally worked for me was Chantix, I've been smoke free for over four years now. It does require a doctor's prescription and it's not inexpensive, but it works for many people.

Whatever method you use to quit, please give it your best shot. Cigarettes will kill you!
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Smoker for 20 yrs here. Have given up and relapsed about 4 times. For me, it came down to actually, really and truly, WANTING to give up. Because YOU want to. Not triggers or other people telling you to, advertisements or affordability. I had to WANT to give up. I didn't the other times. I was doing it for everyone else. Good luck. Do it for YOU!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I MADE the decision to quit and quit. Never went back. I had dreams for about 2 months of smoking, but after that I was fine.
    You have to REALLY want to quit to actually quit. If you have ANY reservation, you won't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • margotlovesyou
    margotlovesyou Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I smoked 20 + a day for pretty much ten years, and then quit because I realised that I just really did not want to do it anymore. I think you need to look at them for what they really are, ie, little cancer sticks that systematically poison you and make you smell, out of breath and have glassy eyes, and not fun social props. I'd tried quitting multiple times in the past without actually wanting to quit, and that never worked. You have to just decide if you want to smoke, or if you don't. If you want to, just keep smoking. If you don't, just don't put them in your mouth. It's a midset thing, but totally doable! Plus I lost a lot of weight after I quit because I had so much more energy. Helps if you stop drinking for a few months too, as that's usually a trigger for smokers. Good luck :)
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My aunt was a smoker for 35 years. More than a pack a day... nonstop smoking. About 5 years ago she decided to "transition" to vaping. She didn't call it quitting. She just decided to vape instead.

Hasn't had a cigarette in 5 years.