Diet Coke dilemma

Options
1235»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    I feel guilty drinking Diet Coke but at the same time it doesn't have any fats carbs or proteins and only 2 calories what's the deal?

I literally asked my dietician about this hours ago. She said the worst thing about artificial sweeteners is that, for SOME people, they make them crave sweets. They have no redeeming features, but they don't hurt you. They don't affect blood sugar. They don't make you fat. If you want a Diet Coke, go for it.

Common sense is alive and well.
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Lmao wow you guys need to look at yourselves a bit. Why vilify a person for making a Mistake AFTER They already apologised and retracted the original statement? People that highlight where I say "cola dinks should be avoided if possible" but neglect to indicate that I stated that was my own opinion and nothing more. Anyhow I shall leave you to gloat and feel superior well done guys
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Drink Diet Pepsi. Dilemma over.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    I have heard, and I DON'T know this to be true, that for rats at least having fake sweetener in a soda can make your body crave the sweets it was expecting to get. Or at least it did in rats. Is this true?

No idea if this is true. Conversely, I find Coke Zero handy if I'm peckish. A really nice cold can. I use it to stop cravings. It feels naughty but it isn't. Win.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If it causes you no harm, don't feel guilty about it. I'm sensitive to sweeteners, so I can't drink it without discomfort, but I would if I could!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    whoffmann wrote: »
    To me, the challenge of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners is more of a psychological challenge. By using these artificial sweeteners regularly, I retain what a "sweetness habit", so that when I am tempted to indulge, I am more likely to cheat with a high-sugar food and get that sugar rush.

This is making me re-think my use of aspartame. (I put some on my yogurt/fruit/nut breakfast this morning, to my wife's disgust.) Whereas I don't find it has any particular direct effect, I can believe that it perpetuates a sweetness habit, as you say. I'll have to try cutting it out at some point and see what happens.

I agree wholeheartedly that sugar itself is incredibly habit forming. If I let myself get in the habit of taking candy from the office candy bowl, the day it is empty I feel violated.
  • gexking
    gexking Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    BUKTaYFmYZcmA.gif
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    gixercon wrote: »
    Haha whoa! ok it appears I read something about aspartame (from several sources) and didn't fact check, for that I apologise and retract my comment. It seems that the negative stuff has only been observed only in rats and never in humans and some people have cherry picked certain info to make it sound worse. The info on weight loss is not conclusive so until further study is done the jury is out on that as well. Caffeine is still worth avoiding if possible and personally I find it easier to fast without pepsi max than with so will continue to do so.

Thank you for recognizing the error of your wicked ways and fixing it - not too many people do that, you are a-ok in my books for it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A discussion yesterday with someone i had, we used me as an experiment when it came to diet drinks and honestly, if people are doing the whole "being good" thing and eating higher calories then they need and gaining weight then can we really blame the drink? They are picking that logic themselves and applying it as an excuse to eat X, Y, Z.. the diet drink itself is not being advertised in such a way that its actually telling people its okay to eat more cause they are being good by drinking it.. Its only being advertised as what it is... a 0 calorie soda. I've never understood why its not okay to point the finger at the people over compensating and eating more and gaining, lets just blame the soda..

It IS okay -- it IS the person's fault - certainly not the zero calorie soda.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    gixercon wrote: »
    Lmao wow you guys need to look at yourselves a bit. Why vilify a person for making a Mistake AFTER They already apologised and retracted the original statement? People that highlight where I say "cola dinks should be avoided if possible" but neglect to indicate that I stated that was my own opinion and nothing more. Anyhow I shall leave you to gloat and feel superior well done guys

Well in my case, I simply hit "quote" and responded to your post. I had no idea that you had retracted it until I read this, later. Lot's of people don't read an entire thread before they post. Who has that kind of time?? :p Anyway - nice to see the retraction. Thumbs up for you. :)
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    gexking wrote: »
    BUKTaYFmYZcmA.gif

Well, that guy is certainly not ingesting any calories by using Diet Coke that way. So try that, OP.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It all depends on the person. The sodium may cause bloating, the artificial sweetener may stall weight loss or/and cause blood sugars to rise. If it doesn't do any of that, well don't feel guilty.

Even my Diet Cherry Dr Pepper I just opened is higher in sodium than others...at 60 mg. That's still less than 2% of MFP's recommended limit (which I don't even pay attention to).

Thank you for reminding me that I needed to get more Diet Cherry DP - that stuff is awesome!

hmmm...I wonder how that is with rum. I didn't even know there was diet Dr. Pepper (one of these days I need to inventory the local dance venues' diet soda selections - LOL).
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    hmmm...I wonder how that is with rum. I didn't even know there was diet Dr. Pepper (one of these days I need to inventory the local dance venues' diet soda selections - LOL).

Bacardi Cherry rum with Diet Coke. It's amazing.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Bacardi Cherry rum with Diet Coke. It's amazing.

hmm.. will have to try.

I don't like soda much, but (my old standby) "cranberry juice" (AKA cranberry-flavored apple juice with a tiny bit of cranberry juice added) in my vodka is SO not worth the calories. (and the venue I dance at tonight has a limited wine selection, and Pinot isn't really worth the ~120ish calories to me).
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero and cherry Coke Zero! Love it so much and it keeps me in my goals. Nothing wrong with it unless you believe the deadly artificial sweetener crap and the aspartame scares. I think full calorie soda would likely kill me from diabetes before my Coke Zero.
  • PennysOnaMission
    PennysOnaMission Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was a total diet coke addict until recently. I didn't know how much of one until... surgery. My gall bladder had to go. A 90 minute procedure turned into four hours and I got an overnight stay I was not expecting. Then I got the bad news as to how BAD things looked - And that was AFTER I was already told I had a hernia they were avoiding. It was the worst case they had seen. Big message? It's time to change my eating for good. But I REFUSED to give up my diet coke. I was given a food diary to track my eating as I was set to enter a program.

I guzzled 2 LITERS...A BOTTLE of diet coke in a day. And the gas after surgery - unbearable. I was drinking without thinking about it. It had to go.

My message: pay attention to how you feel when you drink it and how much you drink. I discovered I wasn't drinking water at ALL - not such a good thing when losing weight. So drink it but for the diet coke you drink be sure and get water. It's not bad.... too much of something can be.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing wrong with Diet Coke is Coke Zero is way better, but served at fewer places. BTW, that cherry vanilla Coke Zero from the Remix machines is the best. I'm currently chugging a cool 32oz of it.

Totally agree.... cherry Vanilla Coke Zero is awesome. Got hooked on that on a cruise where they had the Freestyle machines, surprised they don't have it in bottles or regular fountain