I think my fiance is wrong...what do you think???

Options
So the other day I came back from the gym and was sore because i had pushed myself.....not too hard but still felt that I had a workout....so I was tender.....anyway he came by joking around and squeezed my leg -- I said -- oh no dont do that....he says -- you've been doing this for 2 weeks now you shouldnt still be sore from working out.....

He says the same thing about strength training..... is he right??

Replies

• kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I my opinion, he is wrong. If you have a great workout you are bound to be sore and two weeks is not that long to have been working out. As long as you keep pushing yourself, which you should, then you should have some soreness, not hobbled over in pain but sore.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    No. Your muscles have to tear themselves apart to rebuild themselves - bigger, stronger, faster!
    My boyfriend also thinks it's funny to pinch my sore muscles. It hurts like hell!! Tell him the next time he squeezes you you are going to poke him in the belly button - really hard.
  • KatyFace9801
    KatyFace9801 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    He's very wrong.
    I've been doing yoga for 8 years & I still get sore after an hour long, very intense class.
    Of course, if I've been doing intermediate classes for a couple of weeks & then hit some crazy class I'll be more sore.

But you're still going to be sore, & that's a good sign, I believe
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Way wrong. If you are getting stronger you will be sore. Muscles tear and must be rebuilt. Learn to enjoy it!
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Silly boys.

Your body should be sore because it should be challenged. If you don't feel like you've done anything, then you really haven't done anything, IMHO:)
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Even back when I was a competitive athlete, I always had aches and pains. That's how you know you're pushing yourself hard. If it's excessive pain (really sharp or anything else that would indicate serious damage), then yeah, that's no good, but some pain is a good thing. :smile:
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I think he is wrong. I've been exercising for 1.5 months and still have times (after I really push myself) that I am sore.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    double post
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 18 months and I still get sore when I push myself really hard at the gym.

It's normal and as will keep happening if you're pushing yourself - which you want to do. :)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    he says -- you've been doing this for 2 weeks now you shouldnt still be sore from working out.....

The only thing I'm assuming, is he's thinking that your still sore in the same spot from 2 weeks of working out.

Otherwise he's wrong. You push yourself you will get sore.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    The only condition that could make him right is if you were lifting the SAME WEIGHT, the same number of reps.

If you are progressing and pushing yourself, you should be getting sore.

Sore = good, PAIN = bad.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    As they would say on the Marriage Ref "CORRIE IS RIGHT!

Maybe you should suggest he join you at the gym and see how he feels :)
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    He's wrong...you will begin to recover faster but soreness will still be there. Everytime you push yourself either with a new workout (that uses muscles differntly) or additional weights or more reps you are likely to feel sore!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Your fiance is wrong ;D You should continue to get sore if you are adding weights and reps as you muscle are always tearing and rebuilding...Such a process!! haha
  • xxojessica
    xxojessica Posts: 14
    Options
    If you aren't sore afterwards, you didn't work hard enough! ;)

No but seriously... he's wrong. lol
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I do not agree with him. The point is to push and challenge yourself so as long as you are I think you could be sore.
  • ninjahonor
    ninjahonor Posts: 13
    Options
    Well, the answer can be yes and no. Lactic acid buildup is what causes soreness, which is in turn caused by using your muscles for a period of time. However, you could also not be drinking enough water. They say 8 glasses a day is for people who do not exercise. If you do, then you need more than that.

Additionally, some foods (milk for example) have lactic acid within them too. So, be careful of that.

Finally, stretching will help make the lactic acid leave your body. Stretch before and after. Mix up static stretching (most common) with dynamic stretching (stretching by movement).
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    So the other day I came back from the gym and was sore because i had pushed myself.....not too hard but still felt that I had a workout....so I was tender.....anyway he came by joking around and squeezed my leg -- I said -- oh no dont do that....he says -- you've been doing this for 2 weeks now you shouldnt still be sore from working out.....

Hard to say. I feel like, if I didn't sweat through my shirt, I didn't get a good work out. Sometimes I'm REALLY sore, sometimes I'm not, but I usually feel it in muscles when I really push it the same day.
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thats how I know I've had a good workout and I've been working out for years!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Way wrong. If you are getting stronger you will be sore. Muscles tear and must be rebuilt. Learn to enjoy it!
    what he said.

if you are making progress, you will be sore. If you're not making progress you're just taking up space.