Advice

Hi! My name is Anna. I started out with this stuff at 197lbs. I have dropped 18.4lbs in two months. My goal weight is 140lbs! I work out almost everyday, I am even very active at my job! (I am a CNA). But I have yet to lose anymore weight! I am stuck! What can I do to break through this barrier?! I do zumba and treadmill almost every day! And eat fairly well! Any advice or ideas??

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    You're doing great so far! Check out the stickied posts at the top of the various forum sections, and try to have patience - weight loss is rarely linear, and if you keep your calories in line then more will come off in time. (Make sure you're actually weighing your food and recording it accurately for the best results, since "eating well" on it's own might not be enough if you don't know what your intake is.)

Stick with it! :)
  • Liana_Ish
    Liana_Ish Posts: 671 Member
    Congrats!!! Sometimes, its not the numbers on the scale that matter. Take measurements!
  • becky_b_croft
    becky_b_croft Posts: 13 Member
    I would try and stick to measuring rather than scales. As you loose weight and tone the muscle will weigh more than fat. Other than that if there is anything that you can swap (food wise) for healthier versions etc I would do that. Keep up the amazing work
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited March 2017
    Hi! My name is Anna. I started out with this stuff at 197lbs. I have dropped 18.4lbs in two months. My goal weight is 140lbs! I work out almost everyday, I am even very active at my job! (I am a CNA). But I have yet to lose anymore weight! I am stuck! What can I do to break through this barrier?! I do zumba and treadmill almost every day! And eat fairly well! Any advice or ideas??

As much as I hate these types of little "slogans", you really 'can't out-exercise a poor diet' ...

... conceptually, your caloric intake is very relevant to all of your goals -- Like people are posting, your weight on a scale is only half the story, but still... looking at how many calories you're taking in can be part of what has you slowed down for the moment.

Have you updated your weight information here on MFP?

I had a stall very early-on which I was able to move through by recalculating my food/caloric intake for my "lighter" body-weight... I'd neglected to recalculate my dietary needs... MFP recommends recalculating each 10-lbs or so (Whoops!! worked wonders for me).

• amandamc119
    amandamc119 Posts: 11 Member
    When you look at sucess 80% is down to nutrition and only 20% is training. Maybe you need to shake up your nutrition and go on a detox for a week or 2 to really get it going again. Eating nothing but fresh foods. Basicly if it doesn't grow, run, swim or fly don't eat it.
    Also you body gets used to the same movements and when you do say zumba everyday your not really challenging your body maybe shake that up to and add weights.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    I would try and stick to measuring rather than scales. As you loose weight and tone the muscle will weigh more than fat. Other than that if there is anything that you can swap (food wise) for healthier versions etc I would do that. Keep up the amazing work

Op will not be gaining muscle on a deficit. Muscle is more dense than fat, however, a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. 1 pound = 1 pound Op SueSueDio gave you great advice.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I like to pick just one thing and change it for a few weeks to see what happens, I call it tweaking. Add a new exercise, limit breads, drink more water etc.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member

Are you measuring/weighing your foods? I'm a CNA as well! Nice to meet you :)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    When you look at sucess 80% is down to nutrition and only 20% is training. Maybe you need to shake up your nutrition and go on a detox for a week or 2 to really get it going again. Eating nothing but fresh foods. Basicly if it doesn't grow, run, swim or fly don't eat it.
    Also you body gets used to the same movements and when you do say zumba everyday your not really challenging your body maybe shake that up to and add weights.

Look up some of the (many!) threads on the subject of "detox" on these forums... If the OP needs a detox then she needs a hospital, not more fruit and veg. :)

That said, if eating a certain way (e.g. trying to eat mostly fresh food) is helpful to a person in lowering their calorie intake, then by all means try it in the context of overall good nutrition and balance. You just don't need to "flush out the toxins" or anything else like that.

Trying different forms of exercise to challenge yourself might also help to find new things that you like, so there's no harm in doing that either!
  • annalou8434
    annalou8434 Posts: 3 Member
    perkymommy wrote: »

Are you measuring/weighing your foods? I'm a CNA as well! Nice to meet you :)

All I am really doing is counting my calories and incorporating more fruits and veggies into my diet! I don't eat after a certain time so that outs late night snacking! Oh, and nice to meet you as well dear!
  • annalou8434
    annalou8434 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone! You are all so helpful! Totally awesome!