Does anyone else have "rest guilt?"

Replies

• fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I used to, but once I learned more about the value/benefit of rest, I was much more comfortable with it.

Also, there's a difference between taking a rest day, enjoying life outside of exercise/workouts, and being lazy. The first 2 I'm OK with, the last one... not so much.

Ditto...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    for the longest time yes...then I got injured because I wasn't taking care of my body and resting...so now I do a much better job of it...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Rest might be my least favourite part of the process but it's vital.

They are mostly an intellectual enjoyment for me and they leave me chomping at the bit to get back to it
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2017
    Only if it's an unintended, i.e. unplanned, rest day.

My training schedule is usually planned weeks in advance, including rest days and recovery weeks. If it's a planned rest day I just enjoy it. If it's an unplanned rest day, like yesterday where my workout time got taken up by things outside my control, it bugs the crap out of me. In fact, I've shifted my training schedule for the next 3 days around now to allow to make up yesterday's missed workout. I normally wouldn't bother except yesterday was one of my important interval sessions for the week and next week is a scheduled recovery week so I'm not worried about digging too deep and struggling to recover.
  • fizzie5
    fizzie5 Posts: 14 Member
    Rest days are imperative to progress as earlier posts say have a walk and enjoy the down time.
    Muscles need to repair so keep hitting them and you'll hit the buffers in no time.
    The key is consistency
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,254 Member
    @cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Also, a rest day/recovery day is a whole lot more palatable than having to take weeks/months off because you were a bone head...ask me how I know.

Bonehead here agrees fully.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    No.

I rest when ever I think I need it and have never regretted it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Not guilt, but when I run regularly, I miss it on the days I'm not scheduled to run. I don't like when I'm not able to do it on vacation, etc.

Right now, though, I'm trying to work back into running after straining a tendon and just started lifting this week to gain back my strength before I start working back into running.

I'm so sore even though I'm lifting super-light weights that I'm delighted to have this weekend off.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I have my cardio machines in the living room with the television and the sofa. I no longer care to sit and watch the tv. I'd much rather move.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    I used to not like to rest, but I've gotten used to it. I do take 1 rest day per week. Sometimes I walk or do yoga, but sometimes I don't. I do try to make my rest day on my busiest day so I don't really have time to think about it.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    What is this REST muscle and how do I train it?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I do. :( And the bad thing is that EVERY TIME I have a rest day, I tell my boyfriend how much better my workouts are the next day. And I STILL have a hard time taking one.

Sounds like you need to tell yourself that, as well as your boyfriend!
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Today wasn't my rest day but I unintentionally made it one..cause I feel lazy...I plan to carb it up and use that tomorrow for legs...making lemons into lemonade
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Rest days = a clean house.
  • chiantiOwl
    chiantiOwl Posts: 6 Member
    Somewhat, I try to dedicate rest days with walking and light stretches if it feels incomplete.
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Me too - I always feel i should do something on 'rest' days, stretching at the very least. However, I just finished a 30 Day Strength challenge from Darebee and hit my target weight a few days early. So, as I knew I was starting a much heavier schedule, and I'm coming up to 47, I decided to take FOUR DAYS off to give muscles/body a complete rest. It was TORTURE! But, started new routine and just feel so much better, can lift more than i thought I would and can see a difference in the mirror already.

You can't upgrade a computer if it's always switched on. :-)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    If I don't do at least 1 1/2 hours of walking a day I get the guilts and as restless as it comes. Got to learn that a day off every now and then won't do any harm.
  • nspink22
    nspink22 Posts: 83 Member
    I don't even mean just taking rest days...but doing nothing even after having worked out hard during the day. Even if I do a workout, I still feel guilty later on if I spend time just sitting around
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    I'm just getting back to working out after almost a two year absence . I am kind of forced to have a rest day on Saturdays due to my work schedule. I've been exercising 6 days a week for about 6 weeks. Today is the first Saturday I don't feel guilty because I feel like I'm going to crash and burn. I'm actually grateful for the reminder to pace myself.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    nspink22 wrote: »
    I don't even mean just taking rest days...but doing nothing even after having worked out hard during the day. Even if I do a workout, I still feel guilty later on if I spend time just sitting around

Maybe it's time for a sanity check?