Under 1200 calories and started gaining weight

Options
124»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »

Also, to all the people saying that the doctor has no nutrition training, are any of you qualified to speak on behalf of the medical association? How do you know doctors don't receive nutrition training, have you gone through medical school?
    My Doctor openly admitted to knowing jack about nutrition, and confirmed that Doctors get very minimal nutrition training.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BootCampC wrote: »
    I believe tracking macros matter more than the calorie itself.. since I changed to 35% protein 25% carbs and 40% fat , I am seeing results in the mirror and on the scale

Nope
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight over a short term period might be absolutely nothing to do with your diet. My weight loss 'stalls' regularly every month because I naturally gain and lose about half a stone in water weight over the course of my menstrual cycle.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    EAT MORE. your body is thinking it's not going to get enough food (because it's NOT).

People still believe that "starvation mode" is a thing? Don't be ridiculous. "Eat more to lose weight" is terrible, unscientific, harmful, and WRONG advice.

Yes, a handful of people will say, "But that's how I lost weight!" Those people are liars unsophisticated and -- intentionally or unintentionally -- disingenuous.

*Edited to avoid hurting the feelings of people are being untruthful.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think you've allowed your body to get used to under-eating so much that it's hurting you Op. your metabolism might have slowed down im not sure, but I've read research discussing how contestants on the biggest loser ended up getting a slower metabolism.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    "Eat more to lose weight" is terrible, unscientific, harmful, and WRONG advice.

Yes, a handful of people will say, "But that's how I lost weight!" Those people are liars unsophisticated and -- intentionally or unintentionally -- disingenuous.

Actually I think you're the one being unsophisticated in this.

You are neglecting to consider that neither NEAT nor TDEE are static.

In the case of people who have been chronically or drastically under-eating, eating more than an extremely small and restrictive amount that has not been providing sufficient nutrition CAN (obviously as has been seen many times) provide them with sufficient nutritional resources to subsequently generate higher NEAT and higher TDEE values.

The net result of playing in a bigger TDEE pool is that previously paper deficits (that did non exist in reality due to lowered NEAT/TDEE values) now start once more to exist in reality... and weight loss follows.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    "Eat more to lose weight" is terrible, unscientific, harmful, and WRONG advice.

Actually I think you're the one being unsophisticated in this.

You are neglecting to consider that neither NEAT nor TDEE are static.

In the case of people who have been chronically or drastically under-eating, eating more than an extremely small and restrictive amount that has not been providing sufficient nutrition CAN (obviously as has been seen many times) provide them with sufficient nutritional resources to subsequently generate higher NEAT and higher TDEE values.

The net result of playing in a bigger TDEE pool is that previously paper deficits (that did non exist in reality due to lowered NEAT/TDEE values) now start once more to exist in reality... and weight loss follows.

Can you cite this source please?