Salad again?

Options
I just can't do salads every day. I'm not a foodie, I don't get excited about eating rich foods. But I've been working salad in a couple of days a week for one meal. And I just don't enjoy it.

What alternatives do you do for salad?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Depends what it is the salad does that you want something else to do. Why are you eating salad?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat salads. I'm having salad today, but it's a month since last time. What I eat instead? Anything I like, I suppose. I build meals up from protein, fat and veg, and add starch, fruit, nuts, dairy depending on what meal it is and what I want and what needs to be eaten up.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I didn't like salads either but now I load them up. Cheese, croutons, avocado, seeds and beans. Mine usually are not low calorie:).
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I will eat salads but don't prefer them either. I eat them only because they will end up having less calories than other things I could have eaten at that moment and I'm usually running short on calories left over for the day. If it's my meal like lunch or dinner then I like to eat them with corn and black beans, chicken in them as well.
  • msr8898
    msr8898 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    More specifically, what are your goals @MikeDubya74? Are you just trying to consume more veggies in general, or trying to get in more dark leafy greens?

If you're just going for more veggies, just make foods you enjoy eating. I'm with @zachbonner_ on grilling your veggies. It opens up a ton of different ways to prepare them. If you're specifically trying to get more leafy greens in, I suggest trying to add more variety to the salad. There are a lot of different greens out there; you may find that by changing what greens you use in your salad, you find it more palatable.

If that's doesn't seem to do it for you, it may be worthwhile to look into ways to slip greens into other dishes. Wilted greens are fairly easy to add to a lot of dishes, and are pretty good on their own. I slip in another 2 cups of spinach a day just by adding a cup to each of my protein shakes; it doesn't add much if any flavor, makes it easier to digest and actually enhances the overall texture of the shake.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I only like Caesar salad. Or taco salad. Or fried chicken salad. I think you get my drift :tongue: I eat Caesar salads for lunch at work pretty often but yeah, it can get boring and old. I'd literally NEVER go to a restaurant and order a salad as my entree.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just can't do salads every day. I'm not a foodie, I don't get excited about eating rich foods. But I've been working salad in a couple of days a week for one meal. And I just don't enjoy it.

What calorie count are you trying to stick to for this meal? Do you need no cook or low prep food ideas? Are you looking for vegetable/meatless dishes? More information might lead to more helpful suggestions.

I eat food I like that fits my calorie goal.
    Breakfast might be yogurt, cottage, dinner leftovers, fruit, a granola bar or a sandwich.
    For lunch I typically have dinner leftovers, a sandwich or a salad.
    Dinner I have all kinds of things. Usually soup once a week. Casseroles, pasta, tacos, pizza, stir fry, eggs, chicken, fish, etc.

I find food ideas on pinterest.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com
    http://www.budgetbytes.com
    http://www.allrecipes.com
  • ladyannique2017
    ladyannique2017 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I like raw veggie sticks with hummus.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I had Chicken Pot Pie the last 2 days. Homemade - yum! But I love salad and do like to have it at least twice a week - always with grilled chicken. Need my protein!
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them. And if you're not adding dark greens and veggies they're almost pointless anyway. I almost never eat them unless I make a kale and spinach salad with dinner but that's rare
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I eat salad when I'm dumb enough to buy salad mixes when they're on sale, then they're about to go bad. I'm not a fan as I usually require more than just 'a salad'. Like bread, a salad is just a vehicle for other things to me. My mom will eat salad every day. Every day. Sometimes for lunch and dinner. We keep asking her where her rabbit ears and tail are.

I'm a bit bemused as to why you're eating salad if you don't enjoy it, what is the goal behind this? Is it calories, is it nutrients? Is it just that salad is supposed to be healthy so that's what you're supposed to eat?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't really do salads as my meal...it's usually a side with some grilled fish or chicken and some quinoa or something. If I don't have a side salad I just have some other kind of vegetable cooked in some manner or another.

Also, I loath iceberg lettuce...I pretty much stick to spring mix.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I love a good chicken caesar but it's not really calorie light if you do it right. I'll do a side salad some days to get some greens in, lately I'm loving arugula with a squeeze of lemon juice and a tbsp of parmesan and some black pepper. Iceberg is kinda pointless unless you're talking a wedge salad and I made a fairly decent and very light version with turkey bacon and the Bolthouse blue cheese dressing. Another good one is spinach with red onion, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts and goat cheese.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You can also do grain bowls. Start with a base of brown rice, quinoa or any whole grain, add some veggies (roasted or raw) and finish with some protein (chicken, fish, lean beef) and then whatever sauce or dressing if you wish.

I use up dinner leftovers this way.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you don't like vegetables, you can put it in a blender and drink it like a shake/smoothie.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love salads as long as they are wrapped in flatbread and have some form of protein, like hummus or chicken in them. I suppose that's more of a sandwich, though. Apologies. I guess I wasn't too helpful after all :(
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    MomReborn wrote: »
    I love salads as long as they are wrapped in flatbread and have some form of protein, like hummus or chicken in them. I suppose that's more of a sandwich, though. Apologies. I guess I wasn't too helpful after all :(

Actually, you've given me an idea for lunches next week *adds flatbread to grocery list* :smiley:
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've burned myself out on salads, but still wanted a way to get in veggies each day. My new go to is stir fry made with zoodles (zuchinni) and loaded down with veggies. I make this once a week now and either add chicken or eat it as a side.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I make a whole wheat pasta salad occasionally. I add numerous veggies, chick peas and a can of albacore tuna. I usually get at least 4 portions. So good.