Is there such thing as bad food?

Options
2»

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Everywhere I look people are saying you can eat whatever you want aslong as your under your calories but I just find it hard to believe that I could walk to the shop and buy a massive bag of malteasers and aslong as I'm under my calories I'm gonna lose wieght? Anyone help me

You can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you're eating in a calorie deficit.

Would eating 1500 cals of malteasers hit my macro goals or give me enough vitamins etc that i need? No, so I wouldn't do it, but I could if all I was bothered about was weight loss.

Google the twinkie diet.

That's crazy haha! I'm over here in the U.K. So hard for me to grab a Twinkie and to be honest I've never even tasted one

Pretty sure Tesco sell them these days.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Everywhere I look people are saying you can eat whatever you want aslong as your under your calories but I just find it hard to believe that I could walk to the shop and buy a massive bag of malteasers and aslong as I'm under my calories I'm gonna lose wieght? Anyone help me

You can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you're eating in a calorie deficit.

Would eating 1500 cals of malteasers hit my macro goals or give me enough vitamins etc that i need? No, so I wouldn't do it, but I could if all I was bothered about was weight loss.

Google the twinkie diet.

That's crazy haha! I'm over here in the U.K. So hard for me to grab a Twinkie and to be honest I've never even tasted one

You're not missing much. Trust me.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Google the twinkie diet.

US chiming in: you're not missing much IMO. I mean, I'm no prude when it comes to snack cakes, but I think they're gross. Orange creme-filled cupcakes, though.... *drool*
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Twinkies are not what they used to be! The last one I had was like dry sponge cake with chemical fluff in the middle :grimace:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The only truly 'bad' food is spoiled or contaminated.
    There are foods which tend to lead to overconsumption (generally fatty & sugary things, which in themselves aren't very nutritious, & wasting calories on those means less room for healthy foods if you want to stay in a calorie deficit).
    There are foods you might feel guilty for eating, which isn't a healthy relationship to have.
    But there should be room for everything you love, in moderation, because if you want to be able to continue eating healthfully for the rest of your life you won't do it by putting away the treats you crave most.

Weight gain/loss is about CICO.
    Health is about eating a range of foods & exercising.
    You could eat the same amount of calories from (just pulling numbers out of the air here) 5 lb of carrots or 1 Big Mac or 3 Twinkies... or a reasonable amount of a variety of foods that make a pleasing dinner & provide plenty of nutrition.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, my parents took me to a restaurant that served me fried fish in a fish & chips dinner that smelled like cat *kitten* (haha that filter). That was probably bad food.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You've just reminded me that I have a full box of maltesers. Those things are lovely and only 10 calories each. Might have 10 tonight :)

How any one can think Maltesers are bad saddens me :(
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Yes there's such a thing as bad food... If it's spoiled (has bacterial growth) or unpalatable, it's bad. For your health, physical and mental.

Also for you are personally allergic to is bad for you. Otherwise, follow your calorie goals and enjoy all the tasty things.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    emmarrgh wrote: »
    Well a big bag of maltesers would be about 650 calories, and I'd probably feel sick for a while after, then STARVING by the end of the day and a normal dinner would put me over my calories.

But I do successfully lose weight while nibbling cheesecake, pizza, chocolate and McDonald's. Just not huge portions, and not every day.

I used to be able to eat a big bag for supper whilst watching TV... no wonder I put weight on!!

Ohh I'm set 2160 and if I eat that exacatly I'm still in a deficit? Me too...

Can you give us your stats? To be in a deficit at 2160 means you must be a pretty big guy. I'm 6' ~255 lbs and sedentary maintenance for me is ~2500, so 2160 would be in the 1 lb per week loss range.

So,
    Sex
    Height
    Weight
    Activity level
    Weight loss per week goal
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are foods that help you meet your goals and foods that don't. "Good" and "bad" are totally arbitrary labels.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you can eat whatever you want. To improve health while eating to lose weight, you choose foods that support your macro/micro nutrient profile.

Here's a dude that only drinks diet soda and eats chips, chocolate and butter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kByjct9xPy8

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

Google the twinkie diet.

You're not missing much. Trust me.

I always found Twinkies and cream horns disgusting... I love donuts though. The cream filling is just sugar, the consistency is gross, and I always felt sick after eating them. If I want a gooey pastry, I get jelly-filled donuts or cake.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think most people would agree that transfat is "bad food". There is no amount that doesn't hurt you. You can eat some and still lose weight and be thin, but it has been proven to be terrible for you even in tiny amounts.

But that is the only clear cut one I can think of. There are additives that are thought to cause cancer and are banned in parts of the world, I guess those are "bad" also.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Calories are a unit of energy...as per our stats and activity levels, we will require XXXX calories per day to maintain the status quot and function optimally. When you consume excess energy, that excess is stored as body fat...it's stored energy...basically your backup generator. When you consume less energy than you require, your backup generator kicks on to make up the difference and you burn fat to make up for the energy deficiency.

Weight loss isn't a bi-product of eating this or that or avoiding this or that...it's about less energy coming in than going out regardless. That said, your food choices are important in regards to nutrition...also, food choices can make it easier or more difficult to achieve your goals.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I will never grow tired of this comic:

qjvdw8riygvm.png

In other words, if you reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly want those malteasers, to the point where you're eating a lot of other stuff you don't actually want, hoping to stave off the craving and eating far more calories by NOT having them...

Eat the *kitten* Malteasers already! (In moderation and within your limit, of course.)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Yes there is bad food! I ate at the Phoenix in downtown KCMO and they fed me bad homemade mayo full of Salmonella!

Three days in the bathroom and then three days in the gastrointestinal unit! Really bad food.

I was just coming in this thread to tell the tale of this egg salad I once had way back in 1986...
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm always around 500 under my calories, is this healthy and am I losing weight faster than I would be if I was 100 under? I'm set 2160 a day

Does this mean you are eating about 1600 calories a day? Then yes, if your logging is accurate, you will end up losing an extra 1 lb/week beyond what you entered as a weekly weight loss goal. Before you start celebrating, that is quite low for a man and may be unwise, depending on your current stats. If you'd like to share them, I'm sure people would be more than happy to give you some guidance as to an appropriate, sustainable weekly weight loss goal. :)