Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I made myself a delicious carrot/broccoli/cauliflower cooked veggie combo and had some for breakfast. But for what it cost me I could have bought 3 huge bags of sugar cereal that would last me several months vs a week. It's sad. :D

I went shopping last night. (Kansas, Walmart, winter)
    I bought a large bag (2lb 1.5 oz) of a chocolate puff cereal with marshmallows for $5.98. That bag is 32 servings.
    I also bought vegetables and some fruit (not organic). I spent about $28 on vegetables and fruits for a family of 3 humans plus 2 guinea pigs. Some will last us a few weeks and some will be used up in a week.
    The cereal is cheap per serving ($.18) but 1 large meal of vegetables would not cost the same as 3 big bags of cereal.

3 lb bag of fresh apples $5.54
    3-5 lb (?) bag of fresh potatoes $3.67
    16 oz bag of fresh parsnips $2.68
    Bag of fresh oranges $4.97
    26 oz bag frozen broccoli $1.98 (8 servings)
    16 oz bag frozen spinach $1.44 (6 servings)
    Fresh cherry tomatoes $2.98
    4 fresh bell peppers $3.52

I didn't buy fresh carrots or cauliflower this week. An old receipt from January has a bag of whole carrots at $1.48.
    Frozen and canned vegetables and fruits can be cheaper than fresh in winter. Investigate those.

Ultimately it is a choice of how you want to live and what it is worth to you.

This perplexes me, being as how we're both in the midwest. I'm in IA, and here the apples would be about $3, potatoes on sale for $2 or less, oranges for about $3.50, & green peppers .50. This week, I got asparagus for .99 a bunch, cauliflower for 1.99, kale for .99, and strawberries for 1.29/lb.

Even so, I don't want fruits & veggies all the time and don't understand the OP's either/or scenario.

It also depends on what items stores are using as their loss leaders for the week. There can be a signficant price difference between two stores in the same town, at the same time, depending on this. So many variables go into the pricing of food!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    As noted above, in season fruits and veggies tend to be a big cheaper than out of season stuff. I also buy bulk whole grains and dried beans which keeps my food cost down. We also buy some fruits and veggies frozen. I can feed my family of 4 on less than $100 a week, including non-food items (laundry detergent, etc.) by focusing on buying in bulk and in season.
    I also factor in the "long term" factor of spending on fruits and veggies versus junky (high sugar cereal type) foods. In the long term, I will probably be a bit healthier, and thus spend far less on medicines and doctor's visits to keep me alive.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Time to start thinking about gardening! I've heard "Square Foot Garden" is a great city-dweller way. The up-front cost will be higher, but you can get some pretty fresh veggies all season long.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's a balancing act to stock up on fruits and vegetables ... I shop the specials or sale items and rotate, but still spend more on produce than other food stuffs.

This week was stock up week for my cooking staple vegetables ... potato, onion, celery, carrot, cabbage - those came in at just under $17.00 and will last a month or more. Then I also picked items that will be gone in a week ... brocolli, cucumber, mushrooms, bell peppers and tomatoes which cost $15.00. That doen't count the frozen veggies I have tucked away from when they were on sale for $1.00 per 12-16 ounce bag last week ... corn, sweet peas, green beans, spinach, cauliflower ... I won't use fresh veggies next week (except for the staples), but will rely on the frozen ones.

For fruit, this week had a sale on apples, cantaloupe and bananas, but I also picked up a bag of grapefruit - all for just under $14.00 ... the cantaloupe and bananas are for eating this week and the apples and grapefruit will roll into the next couple of weeks, All are augmented by the blue berries and strawberries I buy when on sale and freeze to have on hand. When I do buy the berries, no other fruit makes it into the grocery cart.

I very occasionally buy summer or winter squash, eggplant, beets, parsnips, radishes, scallion/leaks out of season because there are less expensive veggies I can get that work in my food plan ... and always look forward to the meals I make using some of these.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I made myself a delicious carrot/broccoli/cauliflower cooked veggie combo and had some for breakfast. But for what it cost me I could have bought 3 huge bags of sugar cereal that would last me several months vs a week. It's sad. :D

I went shopping last night. (Kansas, Walmart, winter)
    I bought a large bag (2lb 1.5 oz) of a chocolate puff cereal with marshmallows for $5.98. That bag is 32 servings.
    I also bought vegetables and some fruit (not organic). I spent about $28 on vegetables and fruits for a family of 3 humans plus 2 guinea pigs. Some will last us a few weeks and some will be used up in a week.
    The cereal is cheap per serving ($.18) but 1 large meal of vegetables would not cost the same as 3 big bags of cereal.

3 lb bag of fresh apples $5.54
    3-5 lb (?) bag of fresh potatoes $3.67
    16 oz bag of fresh parsnips $2.68
    Bag of fresh oranges $4.97
    26 oz bag frozen broccoli $1.98 (8 servings)
    16 oz bag frozen spinach $1.44 (6 servings)
    Fresh cherry tomatoes $2.98
    4 fresh bell peppers $3.52

I didn't buy fresh carrots or cauliflower this week. An old receipt from January has a bag of whole carrots at $1.48.
    Frozen and canned vegetables and fruits can be cheaper than fresh in winter. Investigate those.

Ultimately it is a choice of how you want to live and what it is worth to you.

This perplexes me, being as how we're both in the midwest. I'm in IA, and here the apples would be about $3, potatoes on sale for $2 or less, oranges for about $3.50, & green peppers .50. This week, I got asparagus for .99 a bunch, cauliflower for 1.99, kale for .99, and strawberries for 1.29/lb.

Even so, I don't want fruits & veggies all the time and don't understand the OP's either/or scenario.

It also depends on what items stores are using as their loss leaders for the week. There can be a signficant price difference between two stores in the same town, at the same time, depending on this. So many variables go into the pricing of food!

Ya, I usually spend a few minutes per week reviewing the supermarket flyers and basing my decision on where to shop on who has the best deals. I focus on meat though. Everyone is competitive on corned beef this year.

For veggies, I had a great farm stand and farmer's market near me where I used to live and am going to have to find a new one this spring. http://www.localharvest.org/

I just finished my supply of potatoes that my mom grew last year. She also grows enough butternut squash to get her through March but I'm (much) less of a fan of that.

My sister has done "fruit shares" in the past. Here's more on Community Supported Agriculture (CSA): http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Pooshka2 wrote: »
    Time to start thinking about gardening! I've heard "Square Foot Garden" is a great city-dweller way. The up-front cost will be higher, but you can get some pretty fresh veggies all season long.

I had extensive garden beds at my last place. Before I moved here last fall, we put in two 4' x 4' beds using the "Square Foot Garden" mix. I have scallions, sage, chives and some other perennial herbs in there now, plus a half bed of strawberries. Will have to be strategic about what annuals I plant, but I know there will be kale and Swiss chard, plus tomatoes for my OH's mother.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    For the calorie amount fresh fruit and veg ARE more expensive. I hate how people say they aren't. If I buy some junk food donuts 1.69 (for pack of 6 at 320 cal per doughnut) and box of cereal (1.69 with 12 servings) that would easily last me 2 weeks of 500-600 calorie breakfasts. HOWEVER, if I buy 4 fresh bell peppers (4.00), one lb broccoli (2 bucks), one large tomato (2), I could eat ALL of that in ONE day and it wouldn't even amount to the same calorie amount of "fuel". So YES eating fresh fruit and veg is more expensive than eating junk because you have to buy A LOT more to get the same calorie amount of fuel.

No way. A few vegetables, some protein and a starch and you can feed yourself for a few days cooking one meal. Even if you buy the cheapest junk food out there you will not get the same nutritional bang for your buck. I wish the myth of "it's cheap to get fat" would die. Some things are very expensive, but seasonal vegetables or frozen vegetables are cheap almost everywhere. Canned vegetables are also an option. All of these are cheaper than a pop tart or hot pocket. I think it's an excuse people use either because they don't know how to cook or they want to keep eating junk and don't want to just admit that.

All of these are not cheaper. A box of poptarts run 1.67 at my local store and that would last a WEEK. For that amount I could get ONE tomato or one head of broccoli, which would just be a small component of ONE meal. I think it depends on location. I am picky about my veg and I don't like canned vegetables or cheap starches such as rice/beans/potatoes so when I make a meal, it is all veg and protein. I buy lettuce which is 2.99 and it lasts me only two salads worth. To eat a salad every day for lunch is quite expensive. I have to buy the lettuce, tomato (2), onions (1), cucumber (99c), radishes (2), green pepper (1), etc it all adds up to about 5 per salad when I figured it out, which is 25 bucks per week. Alternately I could have a hot pocket each day for lunch for the same calories and it would only cost me 7.50 for the whole week.

Just an example, so I don't think you can say it IS just as cheap to eat healthy. It CAN be, but many people such as myself are picky and do not want to eat plain rice and canned vegetables. I also dislike the taste of frozen vegetables. They aren't the same as fresh. So unfortunately with my preferences it is more expensive, although that is my fault LOL. I don't use it as an excuse because my grocery bill is quite high. I do choose to eat mostly vegetables because it's what I enjoy, I just am not happy about it.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yes vegetables are more expensive than junkfood. However, in a long term investment way of thinking vegetables are a good idea. Sugar cereal may seem cheap but long term has costs such as obesity and diabetes. Both are expensive.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Yes vegetables are more expensive than junkfood. However, in a long term investment way of thinking vegetables are a good idea. Sugar cereal may seem cheap but long term has costs such as obesity and diabetes. Both are expensive.

But sugar cereal doesn't cause obesity-eating at a calorie surplus does. One can incorporate veggies AND cereal into a healthy, balanced diet :)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »

But sugar cereal doesn't cause obesity-eating at a calorie surplus does. One can incorporate veggies AND cereal into a healthy, balanced diet :)

True. But it is a much more calorie dense food and easier to overeat. Plus that gsugar spike does a number on your blood glucose levels and thus also sugar cravings. I'm trying to make point that yes junk is cheaper short term but investing in better foods like vegetables can pay off long term.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For the calorie amount fresh fruit and veg ARE more expensive. I hate how people say they aren't. If I buy some junk food donuts 1.69 (for pack of 6 at 320 cal per doughnut) and box of cereal (1.69 with 12 servings) that would easily last me 2 weeks of 500-600 calorie breakfasts. HOWEVER, if I buy 4 fresh bell peppers (4.00), one lb broccoli (2 bucks), one large tomato (2), I could eat ALL of that in ONE day and it wouldn't even amount to the same calorie amount of "fuel". So YES eating fresh fruit and veg is more expensive than eating junk because you have to buy A LOT more to get the same calorie amount of fuel.

No way. A few vegetables, some protein and a starch and you can feed yourself for a few days cooking one meal. Even if you buy the cheapest junk food out there you will not get the same nutritional bang for your buck. I wish the myth of "it's cheap to get fat" would die. Some things are very expensive, but seasonal vegetables or frozen vegetables are cheap almost everywhere. Canned vegetables are also an option. All of these are cheaper than a pop tart or hot pocket. I think it's an excuse people use either because they don't know how to cook or they want to keep eating junk and don't want to just admit that.

All of these are not cheaper. A box of poptarts run 1.67 at my local store and that would last a WEEK. For that amount I could get ONE tomato or one head of broccoli, which would just be a small component of ONE meal. I think it depends on location. I am picky about my veg and I don't like canned vegetables or cheap starches such as rice/beans/potatoes so when I make a meal, it is all veg and protein. I buy lettuce which is 2.99 and it lasts me only two salads worth. To eat a salad every day for lunch is quite expensive. I have to buy the lettuce, tomato (2), onions (1), cucumber (99c), radishes (2), green pepper (1), etc it all adds up to about 5 per salad when I figured it out, which is 25 bucks per week. Alternately I could have a hot pocket each day for lunch for the same calories and it would only cost me 7.50 for the whole week.

Just an example, so I don't think you can say it IS just as cheap to eat healthy. It CAN be, but many people such as myself are picky and do not want to eat plain rice and canned vegetables. I also dislike the taste of frozen vegetables. They aren't the same as fresh. So unfortunately with my preferences it is more expensive, although that is my fault LOL. I don't use it as an excuse because my grocery bill is quite high. I do choose to eat mostly vegetables because it's what I enjoy, I just am not happy about it.

It says so much that poptarts are considered a meal. People look to cheap process food before wholesome ingredients. There are many blogs out there where people have set about demonstrating that you can eat well and cheaply -- even on food stamps. However, I acknowledge that it takes desire, time and resource to shop, plan and cook whole ingredients. Desire, time and resources that not everyone has.

There are a number of resources out there for those who want to try and eat whole foods on a restricted budget. These resources help you with planning. You just have to find the time to cook. You also have to be open to leftovers and using ingredients to the fullest as our great-grandparents did -- chicken to eat, leftovers, carcass for soup, etc.

Eat Well on $4/day
    https://cookbooks.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf
    Article about the book http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/07/27/426761037/cheap-eats-a-cookbook-for-eating-well-on-a-food-stamp-budget

7 Of The Best Food Blogs For Eating On A Budget
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/11/budget-food-blogs_n_6135100.html

There are many more resources out there to be discovered.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

To eat a salad every day for lunch is quite expensive. I have to buy the lettuce, tomato (2), onions (1), cucumber (99c), radishes (2), green pepper (1), etc it all adds up to about 5 per salad when I figured it out, which is 25 bucks per week.

Nothing to do with the topic, but are you saying the above quantities are for 1 salad? As I was reading your post, I was eating a ginormous salad for dinner (filled a serving bowl). I used the same quantities you described (and a half a bag of spinach) and it made mine, the same size for hubby, and some leftover for lunch tomorrow!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? I've heard cauliflower is (or was, some months ago) expensive over there. Pick produce in season, or frozen. You're not supposed to overdo it, either. 3 100 grams servings of vegs and 2 servings of fruit per day is enough. Oh, and avoid "organic" if "not organic" is cheaper. And precut will be more expensive.

I don't really think you wish vegetables weren't so expensive. Vegs aren't expensive. But you prefer other foods? You can have a little of each, and your taste preferences can change and adapt to what you expose them to. Learn to cook.

Where do you find that more than 3 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit is overdoing it?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

To eat a salad every day for lunch is quite expensive. I have to buy the lettuce, tomato (2), onions (1), cucumber (99c), radishes (2), green pepper (1), etc it all adds up to about 5 per salad when I figured it out, which is 25 bucks per week.

Nothing to do with the topic, but are you saying the above quantities are for 1 salad? As I was reading your post, I was eating a ginormous salad for dinner (filled a serving bowl). I used the same quantities you described (and a half a bag of spinach) and it made mine, the same size for hubby, and some leftover for lunch tomorrow!

Haha no! For about a weeks worth of salads.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

You need to buy vegetables according to the season. In season - cheap, out of season - expensive.

Just by the way, how would you get 3 bags of cereal to last several months?? Not in our house for sure!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Are you in the US? I've heard cauliflower is (or was, some months ago) expensive over there. Pick produce in season, or frozen. You're not supposed to overdo it, either. 3 100 grams servings of vegs and 2 servings of fruit per day is enough. Oh, and avoid "organic" if "not organic" is cheaper. And precut will be more expensive.

I don't really think you wish vegetables weren't so expensive. Vegs aren't expensive. But you prefer other foods? You can have a little of each, and your taste preferences can change and adapt to what you expose them to. Learn to cook.

Where do you find that more than 3 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit is overdoing it?

LOL. Yeah, you don't want to "overdo it" with too many servings of vegetables... :o
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options

My favorite breakfast is a saute of onion, celery, carrot with an egg nestled atop the almost cooked through veggies and steamed to runny yolk but firm white doneness. I use half an onion, 1 long celery rib, 1 medium carrot and 1 egg per serving.