Does it get easier?

Options
2»

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    It got easier as I began noticing and finding foods that make me feel full for a long time, and I agree with others ...exercise - all I do is walk usually -makes such a huge difference! Even short amounts in the beginning make a huge difference, and being able to eat another 200 calories can completely change my day around!
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It gets easier over time. I am on round 2 (after 3 years) and the third month. After the first 2-3 weeks, it got much easier for me. The cravings subsided and making better food choices got much easier. I also found out what eating habits worked for me (timing, what kept me full, etc).

I am netting 1200 per day, but generally taking in about 1500 with exercise calories. 17 lbs down in the first 2 months told me that my body did want to carry that extra weight another day. Feel free to add me; my food diary is open to friends. I still have about 35 lbs to go between now and the end of the year.
  • mantramoon
    mantramoon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this a little over 2 months, have lost 10 lbs so far. (I'm 5' 4", started off at 171lbs). Exercising is the only way I ever manage to stay at, under, or close to my calorie goal. Make sure you eat plenty of nutrient-dense food, that helps too (fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, etc.). I have definitely not been perfect but I am having gradual success anyway! Good luck, you can do it! It's not easy, but worth the effort!
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, but there are still days where it's hard. I have gotten significantly better about my stress eating, but I still want to eat some days out of boredom.

Like others said, exercise helps a lot. For one, that's 30 minutes - an hour that I'm not eating, lol; and two, it gives me more calories to eat on. I usually burn around 2,500 - 3,000 calories a day when I'm tracking it and making an effort to be more active, so that's 2,000 - 2,500 calories I can eat on a 500 calorie deficit.

I'm also vegan now, and I eat a lot more vegetables and fruits than I used to, so I'm able to eat bigger portions than if I was eating meat and cheese, so that helps as well. Once you find what works for you, it gets much easier, even on days when you don't have motivation.

Good luck! There's a lot of support here on days that are hard.
  • shelley987
    shelley987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try focusing more on what you are eating rather than how many calories it adds up to. Eliminate any added sugar; look at labels because sugar is in so many things. Eat healthy fats and very little bread/pasta/rice/crackers/carrots/corn. Eat nuts/seeds/eggs/chicken/green veggies. Drink lots of water and see how you feel in 2 weeks. That has helped me.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree with @kristinhowell Some days is a breeze and it's very easy - other days I'm starving and can't seem to eat enough :(
  • Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It will get easier as you are able to eat better daily and exercise as well. Even if it's a 15 minute walk around the block, at least you started with that.. daily... then increase the speed a little the week after...and so on. At home, try stretching daily.. as much as your body allows, increase everyday.. then start watching exercise videos.. pilates is great.. challenge your body little by little. Do not eat out, cook your meals.. make smoothies.. someone recommended fasting; yes, it does work by "rebooting" your body, thus decreasing your cravings. Even if it is until 3pm and then have some broth or liquid meals.. no dairy when you're fasting. no sweets, no fried food.. bland only, steamed veggies.. one thing that has worked for me, pineapple and cucumber smoothies.. 8oz before every meal. it would be a good start for you i'd hope. Best of lucks!!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight I was right where you are now--188.8. I have set points throughout that range (now I'm 145) that are tough as nails to break through, and at some of those I was STARVING. I literally wanted to eat my hand (assuming nothing else was available) on some days. I've learned to run for water first--or wine if I'm home--as both of them will deal with the "it's not really hunger" hunger, or what my mom calls phantom hunger. If I'm hungry after that, fiber (I love fruit). And if I'm hungry after *that*, protein. Usually by that point it's time for a meal anyway.

Phantom hunger will likely be with you forever, but you will not feel STARVING all the time. (To me, that was the hardest thing to fight. Being a little hungry is okay. Hulking out because you haven't eaten *enough* is different.)

If you exercise more, you can eat more--that's true--but you'll also be hungrier. I've known women who have *gained* weight running because they were eating more than they should have been. There's a balance there that's very individual, and it's something you'll have to find for yourself. I've slowly become an active woman (biking and core work these days) who is vegetarian and would sooner walk through fire for a handful of cherries than a piece of cake, but that didn't happen overnight. And I still have "hungry days," for which I keep the vats of sugarless jello on hand.

Everyone has different strategies to get through it. I will say that the first three days is the worst. As you accustom yourself to fewer calories, your stomach will shrink (externally and internally), but the process takes time.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am nosey and tend to read others comments, the above quote is something that caught my attention.

As a man, the minimum requirement for proper nutrition is 1500 calories per day.
    This is AFTER your exercise.

So if you ate 1500, burned off 300 in exercise you would then need to eat yourself back to 1500 calories again.
    If you are using the food you eat to fuel your workouts and underfeed your bodies basic functions (Heart, lungs etc) then the body will then use itself to get what it needs.

Yes, totally aware of this.
    What I'm doing atm is temporary. I'm in a transition phase, that relies less and less on extensive cardio workouts, more on strengthening exercise, and with higher calorie intake. I used to not use MFP so my calorie intake used to be wild and uncontrolled. I made up for that with workout. Now that I'm checking in everything, i'm putting things in order that's all. As I said, last week i increased my intake by 200 calories, next week i'll add further 200 probably to balance it out. I'm just doing it gradually to maintain control.
    Anyway, I'm also slowly drifting to maintenance calorie intake as I am but 2 kg away from goal.
    You also will stand the possibility of losing your hair. Without proteins your hair will just fall out after some time.
    People who under eat are not doing themselves any favors. a bigger deficit is not better.
    No worries there, have already been balding ever since I started engineering school when I was 18 :D
    Thank you for being nosey, need all the feedback I can get :smile:
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For some background, I weigh 189.4 (after losing my first pound thanks to this wonderful site!) at 5 foot 6 inches. My goal is to lose one pound a week, and since I'm sedentary that leaves me with an allotted 1520 calories per day.

To be clear, I was never an emotional overeater or someone who ate lots of fast food or anything. I gained the weight for two major reasons. The first reason was that my medication slowed my metabolism and made me feel hungrier than I otherwise would. I'm thankfully almost completely off that medication now, but the weight still has to come off. The second reason was that my roommate (who is lightly active, muscular, and truly blessed in the metabolism department) and I were cooking all our meals together for a while to pool money and resources. Of course, she can eat /any/ amount and stay thin, so I was eating portions that were right for her rather than for me.

Unfortunately, I guess my body is used to over 2,000 calories per day, and now I'm trying to cut it down to 1520. Even when I eat regularly, I still feel hungry a lot. Does this get easier with time? I really hope so because to lose 40 pounds (as my minimum goal), I'm in this until at least Christmas.

The more you want ti, i think the easier it gets. you have to make up you mind, that no amount of food tastes better than being goal weight. I love that this is not a diet, but a too to teach you correct ways of eating just for you. i have always been very determined in what I do. it does not bother me logging daily. i think i have hit a year with a few starting over points, ie. always have a digital scale. don't trust label, weigh it all! beat wishes in your journey!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It got easier to manage the hunger, for sure. I'm always a little hungry and a meal rarely makes me feel completely full, but my attitude about my eating has changed which has helped a lot. I've found foods that make me feel more satisfied and I'm committed to not eating outside of my planned calories. It's the mental process of creating those boundaries that I think have made it easier for me over time. I'm at 186.6, als 5'6", and have about 35 more to go.