keto diet

Options
Hi guys.
So I have been reading up on the keto diet and wanted opinions on how realistic is it to do, so are ingrediets easy to buy, meals easy to cook etc. Also has it worked for anyone? Tia

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Ingredients easy, adhering to it not so much.
  • jordan2292x
    jordan2292x Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Would it be just as beneficial to lower the carbs and eat healthier do you think? I sometimes find as soon as I become strict I want it more!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Would it be just as beneficial to lower the carbs and eat healthier do you think? I sometimes find as soon as I become strict I want it more!

Depending on your activity level and goals, your carbs may be low anyway. On about 1500 calories I only eat 135g of carbs, the same amount of protein and 50g fat. I personally wouldn't restrict anything other than calories, don't make it harder on yourself than it has to be. Restricting calories is already kinda crappy lol
  • krmthomas
    krmthomas Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's a challenge at first because change usually is. Try pinterest for meal ideas. I don't find it challenging to eat lower carbs and don't really crave carbs (except for the occasional craving for a donut) and alot of things can be altered to fit the macros of keto. I can share my food diary if you need some ideas.
  • jordan2292x
    Options
    Yeah I totally agree with that, I actually can't believe how many calories are in some stuff I eat, it's Defo going to be a struggle lol! I'll try maybe cutting down carbs a little but not to keto amount. Thanks xx
  • jordan2292x
    Options
    krmthomas wrote: »
    It's a challenge at first because change usually is. Try pinterest for meal ideas. I don't find it challenging to eat lower carbs and don't really crave carbs (except for the occasional craving for a donut) and alot of things can be altered to fit the macros of keto. I can share my food diary if you need some ideas.

I rely on carbs, have never even debated cutting down on them before but iv realised I eat way to much. Didn't think of pintrest, thanks! It's the whole eating more fat thing that I'd struggle with with keto as I don't eat a lot of fat, I may just try lower carbs and a few keto recipes and see how I go. Thanks x
  • lynz_lifts
    lynz_lifts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been eating keto since June 2016. It may be hard at first, but your cravings will subside and you'll get used to eating protein, fats and veggies. I don't see myself going back to a higher carb diet.
  • jordan2292x
    Options
    webbli wrote: »
    I've been eating keto since June 2016. It may be hard at first, but your cravings will subside and you'll get used to eating protein, fats and veggies. I don't see myself going back to a higher carb diet.

What fats do you eat? I eat a lot of veg and hardly any fruit so I am ok there, I know I need to cut the carbs but I am unsure on what fats to have. X
  • lynz_lifts
    edited March 2017
    Options

My food diary isn't private, so feel free to check through there! I switch up what I eat usually but within a week I would have a little of each: almonds, avocado, bacon, eggs, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, beef, pork, chicken thighs, heavy whipping cream (in coffee). Hope that helps!
  • shelley987
    shelley987 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

What fats do you eat? I eat a lot of veg and hardly any fruit so I am ok there, I know I need to cut the carbs but I am unsure on what fats to have. X

Walnuts, Butter, Peanut Butter, Egg Salad, Cheese, Cream Cheese, and Sour Cream are my go-to's
  • lynz_lifts
    Options
    shelley987 wrote: »

Walnuts, Butter, Peanut Butter, Egg Salad, Cheese, Cream Cheese, and Sour Cream are my go-to's

How could I forget BUTTER! ><
  • shelley987
    shelley987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    shelley987 wrote: »

How could I forget BUTTER! ><

Haha, I forgot Cream Cheese then saw yours and remembered that I snack on that at night sometimes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Do you have a family history of cholesterol issues.......

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Saturated-Fats_UCM_301110_Article.jsp#.WMbonVXyuos

It's not the "diet" that I struggle with. I can do anything for a time. It's the maintaining my weight loss that's the hard part. No more temporary changes for me. I won't cut out anything for losing weight, that I don't intend to cut out forever.
  • jordan2292x
    Options
    Thanks for the food tips. I will give them a go xx
  • jordan2292x
    Options
    I just struggle with loosing weight and then keeping it off.
    I did slimming world and lost a stone then couldn't loose anymore, I have now gained a lot due to overeating with stress.
    So I am just looking to lose weight and my gym suggested keto diet.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I did slimming world and lost a stone then couldn't loose anymore, I have now gained a lot due to overeating with stress.

The Keto diet is a rather extreme diet and unnecessary for the vast majority of people who try it. Have you tried MyFitnessPal and counted calories?
  • jordan2292x
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've been mainly keto for almost 2 years. I started out LCHF and found that the more I restricted carbs, the better I felt and the less hungry I was.

I eat a lot of meat, veggies, eggs, full fat dairy, nuts, coconut, and a few fruits. My meals look pretty normal, I just eat more meat and veggies and leave out the starchy side dishes.

Breakfast is often skipped - just coffee and cream. Sometimes it is bacon and eggs. Lunch is often leftovers or tuna with mayo and celery - no bread. Tonight's dinner is meatloaf, carrots and peas, and I'll skip the mashed potatoes that my kids will have. Snack time is usually macadamia nuts, maybe with some sugar free chocolate chips.

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group for more info and support. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thanks you have made it sound a lot more dooable than what I have read online.
    Do you focus on a amount of fats and proteins you eat or just how few carbs you eat?
  • jordan2292x
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

The Keto diet is a rather extreme diet and unnecessary for the vast majority of people who try it. Have you tried MyFitnessPal and counted calories?

I have in the past and do ok however my carbs always take up ridiculous amounts of my calories which is partly my reason for debating the keto diet
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I have in the past and do ok however my carbs always take up ridiculous amounts of my calories which is partly my reason for debating the keto diet

If you want to try Keto, then by all means, go for it, but I would suggest counting calories again and maybe just focusing on getting enough protein and fat while keeping your calories in check. You seem to be hung up on carbs as if they are some type of negative. This simply isn't the case for most. Calories and adherence are what matter most.