How do I curb sugar cravings?!??!!

Options
I just started using this app a few days ago and have been doing my best to eat healthier since gaining 20lbs... which I am now trying to lose. My problem seems to be my sweet tooth.. I don't know what to do to stop these cravings. Please Help!!

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    for me sugar is the problem too. I went cold turkey off processed sugar Jan 1. I still eat fruit but no candy, cakes, cookies, creamer, etc... Now that it has been a couple of months I have other things that help curb the sweet cravings...dates, sugar free hot cocoa, sugar free chocolate pudding, a dove dark chocolate (45 calories and I can fit it in with my day)

Mental is the biggest part...you have to be ready!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating the foods that caused cravings on a regular basis and the cravings went away. Hard to do in the short term but worthwhile in the long term.

If you don't want to eat those foods hang in there, don't eat them and know it gets easier. Best wishes.
  • BeyCake89
    BeyCake89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

If you are trying to avoid sweets completely that can make things harder then it needs to.
    plan a treat at the end of the night, look forward to that treat.
    I don't want to go cold turkey. It's just that once I taste something sweet it's all downhill from there. I guess it it self control.. I gotta work on it
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    When it comes to food, you always have a choice: Eat it or don't.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer things with added sugar and you learn not to want it so much.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I hear you, OP. I have a sweet tooth too.

When I was starting to lose weight, I did not have a lot of self-control around sugary sweets, so I cut them completely out of my diet. The exception: buying one cookie (or similar) at a coffee shop on occasion, to be eaten immediately. But not telling myself "Oh, I will buy this bag of cookies and only eat one per day" because lololol NOPE, if I bought it then I was going to eat them ALL, probably that very day. And then feel extra bad for eating them.

Some people don't have this issue, they just have stellar self-control from day one. Which is great. But don't feel bad if you aren't in that category. For me, my first exercises in self-control were "go grocery shopping while avoiding the sugary aisles." And later on, being able to go down the sugary aisles without buying anything.

These days I actually can buy cookies and candy and only eat one piece a day, but it took a lot of time to get to that point. I think it's easier to manage once your body is already used to being on a calorie deficit. In the meantime sweet fruit like apples can help your sugar craving. Also, those zero-calorie flavored waters.
  • BeyCake89
    BeyCake89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How do I create a calorie deficit when trying to lose weight??
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I find if I ever have like a hard candy butterscotch it revs up my sugar craving. So I discovered best to abstain totally to not feed the animal or prime the pump. A tangerine some other fruit will suffice...
  • jennbernardo79
    jennbernardo79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I take Pharmapure sugar blocker and it has helped me.
  • jennbernardo79
    jennbernardo79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok. I apologize. It's not a diet pill though. I will delete if I can figure out how.
  • clarkfaint
    clarkfaint Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to work in something that is a good treat but doesn't kill me on calories for the day. My secret weapons to maintain sanity by getting a little treat but not bombing my numbers are the Yasso Bars. They are only 100 calories but will trick you enough to think you are getting some ice cream. Eat one after dinner and you'll feel real good. Also anything by Skinny Cow is usually reasonable. Letting yourself live a little in moderation with these completely reasonable snacks is an easy way to make sure you'll stay the course with your plan.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    BeyCake89 wrote: »
    If you are trying to avoid sweets completely that can make things harder then it needs to.
    plan a treat at the end of the night, look forward to that treat.
    I don't want to go cold turkey. It's just that once I taste something sweet it's all downhill from there. I guess it it self control.. I gotta work on it

This. It is not like being an alcoholic or drug addict. You really do have the power to not give in to your cravings.

Sometimes I ignore it. Sometimes I drink something...Cup of black coffee or unsweetened herbal tea...or water...or club soda with a lemon or lime. Sometimes I eat something good else that is filling but low calorie. (Carrots, apple slices, ..or something unexpected like a piece of chicken breast lol)

Also if I have enough calories for something sweet I just have it.

The other day I ate mostly candy. It was a foolish move...I stayed within my calories but was really dragging and regretted wasting my calories like I did. Lol
  • Grace_Style
    Grace_Style Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I find most helpful for me isn't saying exactly "no you CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING ANYMORE RELATED TO SUGAR!" try slowly cutting it out. Maybe you're craving sugar, and so when you are, start with 3 pieces or servings of fruit one week each day. Next week cut it down to 2.5 (so a half cup of berries let's say) and then down to 2, until in two-three weeks you get down to 1 per day. I've been reading this book called Mindsight and it makes a good point of saying that we are not our emotions and feelings and while they are part of us, we can take advantage of our big beautiful brains and not respond to situations with impulsive behavior. I still struggle with this as I have a crazy sweet tooth as well. I also have replaced candy bars though with things like raw honey and almond butter on an apple. A bit high calorie but sustains me a little. Hope this helps! Just remember- you got this and you can conquer. :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    for me sugar is the problem too. I went cold turkey off processed sugar Jan 1. I still eat fruit but no candy, cakes, cookies, creamer, etc... Now that it has been a couple of months I have other things that help curb the sweet cravings...dates, sugar free hot cocoa, sugar free chocolate pudding, a dove dark chocolate (45 calories and I can fit it in with my day)

Mental is the biggest part...you have to be ready!

I'm not trying to challenge you here, I'm just genuinely curious. Do you feel your sugar-free treats help *curb* your sweet cravings or did you just mean that you are substituting them? Lately, I'm finding that sugar-free sweets just kick off a craving for other sweet things.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.