Eating healthy, not losing weight

Options
I eat very healthy, exercise as often as I can and still can't seem to lose weight. I've been vegan for 4 years now, vegetarian since childhood. I had a baby 9 months ago and gained 100 lbs during pregnancy, after having lost 100 lbs 6 years ago. I'm around 235 now, and have been going up and down 10 lbs for a while.

I am a single mom and am not able to go to a gym or do anything without my baby. I walk whenever possible (3+ hours/day), try to do an hour of yoga at least thrice a week. The only junk food I eat is homemade dark chocolate and nuts, and that's rare. I don't buy many packaged foods (tofu is the main exception).

I don't have time to record what I eat everyday, weighing and measuring like I used to. I figure since I eat healthy it should be fine. I haven't lost any weight since the birth of my baby. Here's what I ate yesterday:

2 Smoothies *1 banana, 1 tbsp cacao, 1 tbsp hemp hearts, 2 c. homemade almond milk, 1 tsp maca*

Taco salad *spinach, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, 3 tbsp homemade cashew dressing*

Sweet/sour tofu *1/2 pk tofu, 1 red pepper, 1 onion, 1 tsp ketchup, 2 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp soy sauce*

This is a typical day of food. I usually have 1 or 2 smoothies (different each day), a tofu/bean dish, and a salad/veggie bowl. If I need a snack, I'll eat some dehydrated apple slices, or veggie chips. Rarely, I'll make dark chocolate squares and eat 1 to 3 a day. I don't often have cravings for food, I eat when hungry, or when I have time. A "slip" for me would look like eating an entire bar of dark chocolate, or a pint of coconut ice cream (this hasn't happened for 2 months). I'm also breastfeeding and was told that helps shed pounds, it hasn't.

I've spoken with my doctor a few times about losing the weight and what I can do. He thinks that with the stress in my life, I'm unable to lose the weight. I don't fully agree because that hasn't stopped me before. Any suggestions/tips/advice on how I can lose weight or get more exercise in would be great.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be used to increase burn and deficit but in the end it is calorie deficit that reduces weight.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy does not always mean you will be a healthy weight. You state "I don't have time to record what I eat everyday, weighing and measuring like I used to. I figure since I eat healthy it should be fine. I haven't lost any weight since the birth of my baby." You must be eating maintenance calories if you aren't losing weight. To lose you must be in a calorie deficit. Why can't you weigh your food and log daily?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    To lose weight you must be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. What foods you eat to make up your calorie intake doesn't matter though-only that you're hitting that calorie deficit.

If you're not losing weight then you're eating too many calories.
  • anectine
    anectine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its not just as easy as "just eat less". U probably need to calculate your daily calorie requirement and shoot for 500/day calorie deficit. Severely restricting calories will cause your weight loss to slow as your body adjusts. Also change type of foods....more protein healthy fats. No processed foods. Exercise regularly even if at home. Any type of high intensity intervals will help boost metabolism. Good luck!
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    What you're doing right now isn't working for you, so in order to see change in your body you need to implement a change.
    I don't calorie count and I don't weigh my food. But I know if I wasn't losing weight this is a tool that will be beneficial. For me personally I practice portion control i once bought containers like the 21 day fix ones from amazon helped me out might be good for you as well. I don't use them anymore but if you're a busy person this might be helpful.

The second option is so start weight your food, and to also track the calorie content of what you're eating.

See what will work for you.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Exercise can be used to increase burn and deficit but in the end it is calorie deficit that reduces weight.

I agree with this. Nobody exercises all day. We are at resting state the majority of our day, so the key is how do you increase your metabolism at rested state, and all the stuff you are eating makes you healthy but I don't think it promotes weight loss, are there other factors like getting enough sleep, water? We're programmed to eat eat and eat. Our earlier ancestor didn't have that luxury. I believe in eating when you are hungry and only when you are hungry.
  • sodaceratops
    sodaceratops Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I logged my food yesterday and the day before. Yesterday was 900 calories and the day before was 1000. How many calories should I be eating to lose weight? I was told anything under 1600. I don't believe I eat over 1600 calories. When I was recording my daily food intake, I was always around 1000. I'll try to record my food for the week and hope this helps.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding you are way under the calorie recommendations. Even still, if you are truly only consuming 900-1000 calories you would be losing weight. 1600 is the minimum for breastfeeding.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Smoothies can cause weight gain because they are more quickly abs bred and hence raise your insulin levels, making you hungry all day long. I also notice that you have a fair bit of fat in your diet. I am a vegan and I base my diet around starches, whole veg and fruit (unblended), and low fat. This lets me eat a lot of food and lose weight. But also, go easy on yourself since you just had a baby!!! Look up dr.mcdougall, dr.lisle, and chef aj. Also, mr and mrs vegan on YouTube have a program called WSLF (whole starch low fat) that doesn't require calorie tracking and can allow you to eat a lot while still loosing weight. Good luck
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Count calories. Stick to what MFP gives you. you should see the scale move shortly after.