Jason Fung's Book: The Obesity Code, Thoughts?

Options
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has read this book. Have you found it useful? (It sure has great amazon reviews!)
I am familiar with his work a little bit, watched a youtube video of one of his presentations.
If you have had experience with his methods and have any good feedback, please share!

Replies

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book. I have listened to a few interviews and such. Some feel he's a quack. I honestly can't say either way just from what I've listened to. What I do know is he seems to think outside of the box in terms of IR and problems that can go along with it. Personally, I like that. Since what we have now doesn't work for a lot of folks he may be on to something. I actually hope he is for everyone's sake that suffers from these types of problems.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For those with metabolic issues, I think his plan would probably help their health. He's been successful helping his patients.

I follow something similar and have only had my health and weight improve.

Is his explanation of the science 100% right? Maybe. Maybe not.
    cityruss wrote: »
    I personally think it's an awesome book. It delivers information that is applicable to a lot of people, me included.
    Should people move more? Yep. Should they eat real food instead of crap? Yep
    Does everyone have insulin resistance? No. But those that do, this answers a lot of questions in easy to understand plain speaking. If later, like myself, you find you want more of a science based explaination, that's available too.

He's a quack who prays on the general public's lack of understanding of human physiological and biological processes, and their desire for sciencey sounding explanations.

Ohmehgawd insulin made me fats!!!!$@/#/#/! Get it off me!!!!#$$/

Sooo, nearly every diet author ever? The few exceptions are generally too in depth for the general public's taste (Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon come to mind).

In their area of expertise they are good. I've heard a few head scratchers from them too though.
  • StargazingGirl
    StargazingGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's an awesome book. It delivers information that is applicable to a lot of people, me included.
    Does everyone have insulin resistance? No. But those that do, this answers a lot of questions in easy to understand plain speaking. If later, like myself, you find you want more of a science based explaination, that's available too.

He's a quack who prays on the general public's lack of understanding of human physiological and biological processes, and their desire for sciencey sounding explanations.

So are you offering a different solution? Opinion? You didn't really offer anything else.
    The OP asked a question and I answered it and you take exception to it for some reason, but offer nothing else? Why?
    Hope your day gets better.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    He is pretty off the wall and tends to appeal to people who like to think they are "forward thinkers".
  • StargazingGirl
    StargazingGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @StargazingGirl -- they are actually offering something and they are right in what they say...

Lots of people are going around thinking insulin spikes in the body are the reason they are obese or have diabetes.. its simply not the case.

Insulin spikes happen to everyone. They are normal for the human body.

When someone is IR/Diabetic, whats unhealthy and damaging is the insulin being produced not being able to do its job, which is stopping the sugar that carbs have turned into, from attaching to red blood cells and causing blood sugar to rise and STAY high for long periods of time without being able to come down to normal levels, in a healthy person, insulin would cause blood sugar levels to decrease within a 2 hour period.

Yes, I do understand that. I do not think it is 'the only cause' nor do I think the book offers 'the full 100%' solution. It is one but one piece.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    A science-based explanation won't necessarily give you the details on the science, but it should correctly and honestly present what science has to say on a subject. That's true even if what science has to say is "I don't know yet."

Explanations that are not science-based are very likely quackery.
  • Catawampous
    Options
    I am not disagreeing with your take on all this. So let's get that settled first LOL I am only offering mine to the OP. Up to them what they buy to read. I'd rather see someone spend money on a book than say on ... Hydroxycut.

Nope, never seen one report on that. What I did see a LOT was how fat was going to kill me and so were eggs! So there is that ;)

• Catawampous
    Options
    My point was ... science told me those foods were bad and guess what, they aren't. So obviously there are times when science can be wrong ... or bad science that gets published as gospel to the masses. However you want to phrase it or look at it. Obviously you can be underweight and have serious health concerns. But I am not going here, I don't have the time or inclination and I been around just long enough to see the writing on the wall as far as this thread is concerned.

OP - if you feel the book is for you, have at it. Maybe listen to some of his stuff first and determine for yourself if you think the book is worth the investment or if he's a quack or not. Don't take the written word as gospel just like you don't take TV advertisements for weight loss products as gospel. Use a critical eye and if you do buy the book do your research on any claims made.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    For those with metabolic issues, I think his plan would probably help their health. He's been successful helping his patients.

I follow something similar and have only had my health and weight improve.

Is his explanation of the science 100% right? Maybe. Maybe not.

Sooo, nearly every diet author ever? The few exceptions are generally too in depth for the general public's taste (Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon come to mind).

In their area of expertise they are good. I've heard a few head scratchers from them too though.
    Good thing that nutrition and exercise are their area of expertise, other than certain other authors whose area of expertise lies in an entirely different building of the university than the one from which they could've gained expertise in nutrition and exercise.