Wish fresh veggies weren't so expensive

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Do that many people really have access to farmer's markets? I live in a smaller metro area (around 200k pop) in the middle of farm country and there are a couple a week in my community.

I can't see the logistics of a farmer's market near the downtown area of a large city. The fact the farmer has to drive 40-50 miles (in traffic) to get there plus the set-up logistics would seem to make it a curiosity/novelty at best as opposed to a sustainable source of food. The farmer sure isn't going to set up in the questionable areas of the community.

I live in the middle of the desert. The farmers' market is significantly more expensive than the grocery store.

It was great when I lived in an agricultural area. The produce was so cheap. I miss that.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Do that many people really have access to farmer's markets? I live in a smaller metro area (around 200k pop) in the middle of farm country and there are a couple a week in my community.

I can't see the logistics of a farmer's market near the downtown area of a large city. The fact the farmer has to drive 40-50 miles (in traffic) to get there plus the set-up logistics would seem to make it a curiosity/novelty at best as opposed to a sustainable source of food. The farmer sure isn't going to set up in the questionable areas of the community.

I live in Brooklyn. I can hit up a couple farmers markets per week pretty easily if I wanted to. It'd be harder for some of the communities in very south Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx I bet.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I kept thinking of this thread as I got groceries today and when I got home I had to take a quick picture of my trip. For a little under $127 I filled 2 carts at Meijer and then a basket at Family Fare (Spartan). My grocery budget is $100 so I went a bit over, but Meijer was running their 11/$10 deal, so I got a few extra things. Next week I'll probably spend around $50, so it all evens out :) I made my menu plan/grocery list based off of what I already had in the house.

grocery%20trip_zpszehh9toi.jpg

Produce wise I got-

3lbs yellow onions
    1 bag of fresh spinach
    2 bags of shredded lettuce (I'm weird about lettuce and this is the only way I'll eat it :p )
    2.5lbs bananas
    1 cantaloupe
    1 pkg mushrooms
    1 red and 1 orange bell pepper
    12lbs apples (mostly for baking)
    1 bag baby carrots
    2 cans of peaches
    2lbs tomatoes
    2 bags frozen corn
    2 bags frozen winter blend veggies
    2 small broccoli crowns

It was a fun, but exhausting trip (3 kids/2 grocery carts at Meijer does not equal relaxing!)

eta: you can't see from the picture but behind the cat ltter bags (which I normally don't put on my counter lol), there's several boxes of cookie mix, boxed potatoes and yes, a box of Hamburger Helper (and I'm not even sorry :D ).

This is interesting to me because when it comes to vegetables, I would eat one of the peppers per day. I eat a bag of lettuce each day, a whole tomato, a whole cucumber. I can eat a half bag of broccoli per day too. If I eat zucchini or squash I eat about 400 grams which turns out to be about two large. I don't eat fruit but still, the way I go through vegetables...it gets pricey.

I also had some frozen veggies, raw sweet potatoes and onions, and fresh fruit still in the house before I made my shopping trip. Back in the day I used to run a pretty popular frugal living blog and one thing I always pushed was to shop your own kitchen before you make your menu plan and grocery list :) Between what I already had and what I bought, it's enough for me to do 800g of veg/fruit a day for the weekdays and then enough for my kids to graze as they want. My husband does not eat vegetables at all and will only eat a few pieces of apple, so he's not factored into what I buy for produce :p

ohhhh you seem to eat a pretty high volume of vegetables too. I love it. Would gladly pay for them.

I actually didn't used to but a couple weeks ago, after the new revised recommendation to eat 800g a day of veg/fruit came out, I decided to challenge myself (there's a group of us here doing it), and I'm hooked! I now aim for a minimum of 600g a day, with a goal to hit around 800g. Eating supper right now and I'm over 600g, with a banana still coming up (mixed with vanilla pudding and a freshly made crushed snickerdoodle cookie :# ). That will get me over 700g for today!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member

We live outside one of the largest cities in our state and there's a huge farmers market smack dab in the middle of down town in the summer. You seriously have to park blocks away and walk in. Many of the outlying towns also have their own, and if you head to the lakeshore (West MI here), there's a massive one that can be an all day outing. Plus there's numerous hobby gardener stands all over the place.

My daughter is going to be working with the lady who runs our local one for the first time this summer, (it takes place in the parking lot of one of the area colleges), and I'm hoping leftover/ripe produce will get sent home with her this summer :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    lisacf04 wrote: »
    It is disheartening when you are trying to eat healthy and it's so much more expensive. Fruit and veggies cost more and spoil faster lol. Have any of you found that farmers markets are cheaper?

Alas, I think it'll be a while before we see fresh produce at Farmer's Markets around here again...

i2kth9ilzok1.jpg

Also, so glad it's a gym day and not a running day.

Heh, I'm supposed to do 7 miles, and bummed because 5 is about my limit on the treadmill (I get bored) and I want to run home, oh well.

(The sidewalks were covered with snow this morning, and it is snowing quite hard at the moment. This has been a weird year for us, as we had none in Jan and Feb, but some in Nov (and of course Dec) and now finally more in mid March.)

Much annoyance at having pulled into the gym parking lot and finding it CLOSED! (for a few silly inches of snow). At home, about to pull out the resistance bands and barbie weights and get something done.
  • ritzvin
    DamieBird wrote: »

WOW!! I'm not even joking, this would be over $150 at the only grocery store within an hour of where I live. I went shopping this weekend and spent over $75 on grocery staples. I only buy the "manager's special" meat, this week I got a 1.5lbs chicken (30% off @ $6), 1.3lbs pork (30% off @ $5), and 1.5lbs London broil (50% off @ 4.50), 2 oranges ($1 each), 4 bananas (.79/lb), 6 yogurts ($8), 2lbs carrots ($5), 1 cantaloupe ($2.50), 4 russet potatoes (.99/lb), 1 yellow onion (99/lb), 2lb strawberries (on sale for 5.99), 12oz shrimp ($9.99 - I'm picky about seafood and only buy wild caught, so even though this is going into the freezer for quick meals later, I couldn't pass up the deal!), 1 cabbage (.39/lb), cookies ($5 for two Pepperidge Farm), cottage cheese ($3.5), multigrain bread ($4), English muffins ($3), tomatoes ($5), and a couple of other things that I can't remember right now. I shop at Safeway, and use the app and coupons, and nearly always buy only what's on sale that week. Food is just really expensive in some places, and I have to drive over 30 minutes to get to the ONE store that's not over an hour away.

Definitely cheaper for most things where I shop (a discount grocery chain rather than 1 of the main supermarket chains)(I'm w/in the city limits of a reasonably sized city though, so the stores have a lot of competition..I drive a few extra miles for my preferred store):
    Produce: Carrots (2lb bag) 99¢, red cabbage 69¢/lb, zucchini/green squash $1.29/lb, turnips 59¢/lb, bananas 49¢/lb (same at Wegmans), beets (79¢/lb), red onions 89¢/lb, Empire apples 99¢/lb (other local varieties are $1.29/lb).
    Dairy: store brand cottage cheese: $3
    Frozen: bag of collard greens $1.19
    (I also picked up chorizo, several cans of mushrooms, a few jars of jam, a large pack of chicken thighs, gallon of vinegar, dried beans, saltines, yogurt, nail polish remover).. Just under $40 (which is typical for me when shopping there).
  • ritzvin

Cities often have some sort of parkway or Greenway space that can and does get utilized for Farmer's Markets. They do pretty good business, so it's probably worthwhile for the farmers to make the trip.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Cereal might be kinda cheap but you'd be forgetting the milk. ;)
  • FreyasRebirth
    Theo166 wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Yeah guys, this can be a real issue with families in poverty at least in the US. Or, even if not in abject poverty, there are "food deserts" where there is a store, but no access to a lot of fresh, affordable fruits and vegetables (think Family Dollar). It's easy to criticise, but if money is tight in the budget food that's expensive, perishable, and the kids whine about eating it anyway are often the first to get cut.

The problem is education and demand, stores can only stock what will sell. Between frozen and canned, you can readily get your veggies across the US, even in Family Dollar. FD will never look like whole foods, who must probably waste a lot of perishable themselves.

I went shopping with my mom about a month ago. She lives in a small town but drives over to the next to get her food. The "produce" section was ridiculous. Essentially everything was packaged and on shelves. It was a big-chain store too. I'd never seen so much plastic-wrapped food in my life.
  • FreyasRebirth
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Spring is coming, time to plant your garden

20s and snowing, I'll wait a bit.

Here too. Most of the things I'd like to grow can't go outside until June because our last frost date is so late.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

There are a huge number where I live (Chicago), during growing season (usually weekly but different ones are on different days, so you could hit them almost every day if willing to take public transportation -- they are early, of course). There's one on the South Side (so not far from some lower income areas, although also near Hyde Park) that is monthly during this time of year: https://experimentalstation.org/events/. I go to Hyde Park often on Saturdays (it's a nice bike ride, I have a book club that meets for lunch and discussion then), so keep meaning to check that one out, although where I am there are others.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Here too. Most of the things I'd like to grow can't go outside until June because our last frost date is so late.

Ours is supposed to be Mother's Day, but I usually chance it a bit earlier.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited March 2017

In my city there are six farmers markets in town, or seven counting the downtown one that closes in the winter.

Most of them open on a Saturday or Sunday, except the downtown one which is open on Tuesdays.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    There's always a 10 for $10 on streamable bags of veggies at the supermarket. It's great for a quick fix, when you can't buy "fresh"
  • FreyasRebirth

Ours is supposed to be Mother's Day, but I usually chance it a bit earlier.

Ours is a week later but my mom has always used Memorial Day so that stuck with me. I'm also really short on space (we live in a mobile home) so I only grow things that are cost-effective enough. The one raised bed I did have has been taken over by strawberries but I don't mind too much. I'm hoping to make another small bed along the porch for peas but I'll use our planters if I have to. I had huge tomato plants in them last year so I think they're deep enough for good root growth.
  • alexib
    alexib Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2017
    I spend about $50 on food for myself every 2 weeks and most of that is comprised of yogurt (i cant live without chobani, fage, and noosa) i regulary spend over $10 on chobani alone, and then I'm a pescatarian and usually buy a leasy 3 types of different seafood, calamari @ $5, shrimp @ $5, some type of fish $5 usually x2, silk coconut milk ~$4(sometimes and it hurts my heart!), maybe sweet potato fries @ $2.50, and the rest on veggies zucchini, mushrooms (huge portabellas @$3 & button mushrooms @ ~$1.25), and my most expensive veggie, brussel sprouts because i like them fresh can sometimes be ~$3, (which I hate but they are so good and im pretty sure this isn't their season, frozen @ $1.99) & frozen green beans $1, frozen broccoli $1, frozen broccoli cauliflower mix $1.50. I pretty much get everything from walmart but I can get this down cheaper if I stop buying so much yogurt at once! I really feel like veggies are cheaper and last me a good while, except the brussel sprouts because when I have them I pretty much eat them every day and 1 bag of fresh ones lasts me 4 meals! I also occassionally pick up aspargas spears from dollar tree @ $1. I live in south carolina and pretty much buy these veggies year round. I have a car now and no longer rely on my city'sfrustrating public transport and plan to start going to a food market or head over to the local growers on the island. Food deserts are real and the answer to the problem or the reason for it is not because of what you think at the surface level.
    Also, I stopped eating cereal years ago around the same time I started on mfp when I realized the servings size of it and that it just made me hungrier.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I kept thinking of this thread as I got groceries today and when I got home I had to take a quick picture of my trip. For a little under $127 I filled 2 carts at Meijer and then a basket at Family Fare (Spartan). My grocery budget is $100 so I went a bit over, but Meijer was running their 11/$10 deal, so I got a few extra things. Next week I'll probably spend around $50, so it all evens out :) I made my menu plan/grocery list based off of what I already had in the house.

grocery%20trip_zpszehh9toi.jpg

Produce wise I got-

3lbs yellow onions
    1 bag of fresh spinach
    2 bags of shredded lettuce (I'm weird about lettuce and this is the only way I'll eat it :p )
    2.5lbs bananas
    1 cantaloupe
    1 pkg mushrooms
    1 red and 1 orange bell pepper
    12lbs apples (mostly for baking)
    1 bag baby carrots
    2 cans of peaches
    2lbs tomatoes
    2 bags frozen corn
    2 bags frozen winter blend veggies
    2 small broccoli crowns

It was a fun, but exhausting trip (3 kids/2 grocery carts at Meijer does not equal relaxing!)

eta: you can't see from the picture but behind the cat ltter bags (which I normally don't put on my counter lol), there's several boxes of cookie mix, boxed potatoes and yes, a box of Hamburger Helper (and I'm not even sorry :D ).

This is interesting to me because when it comes to vegetables, I would eat one of the peppers per day. I eat a bag of lettuce each day, a whole tomato, a whole cucumber. I can eat a half bag of broccoli per day too. If I eat zucchini or squash I eat about 400 grams which turns out to be about two large. I don't eat fruit but still, the way I go through vegetables...it gets pricey.

Exactly I eat a whole head of broccoli at once a whole bag of lettuce for one salad 2 zucchini at once etc. I guess price is so subjective to each individuals eating style. Sure it's not that bad if you don't eat large portions of veg.... but I do like you a whole cucumber is part of one snack one day etc.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2017
    th1nr wrote: »
    My point is that food deserts are a well documented and studied problem in the US. Just because something's not an issue for you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Actually research has shown 'food deserts' are complete myth, and their is no such link to obesity. I started a thread in the debate subforum, if you care to try defend your opinion.