Eating healthy, not losing weight

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    TheRambler wrote: »
    just being logical here, but doesn't it make MOST sense to eat healthy AND eat at a deficit? Having a fit HEALTHY body is important.

True but eating "healthy" varies depending on the person. In any case, the point that was being made was no matter how healthy one eats, if they aren't at a deficit, they're not going to lose weight.
  • sodaceratops
    sodaceratops Posts: 36 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    BalletNot wrote: »
    Are you taking B vitamins to support your metabolism since you are vegan? You absolutely must take a B vitamin supplement, since your body does not create B vitamins, and they are only found in animal products. Also, consider the nuts etc; I'd have to look at your recipes in detail, but I'd be very surprised if they truely were under 1000 calories.

I take prenatal vitamins along with B12 and iron. Though my blood work has never come back in lacking of any vitamins. My almomd milk is 1:8 ratio, then I continue to add water to the pulp and milk it until I have barely any pulp left. It's not an exact science due to the process of remilking. My cashew dressing is 1/2 c cashews, 1/2 pk soft tofu (5 oz), 1 c water, garlic, lemon, and seasoning.

How many servings is your dressing because a half cup of cashews is already 300+ calories.

In my recipes. I record it as 20 since that's how many tbsp there are but I usually have 3 tbsp. So roughly 7.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Let me get this straight. You aren't logging properly, you aren't really exercising much more than walking and yoga, and you aren't losing weight? Sounds about right to me. Don't expect results for work you aren't doing.

If you are eating the same stuff over and over again, just log it once and then it's easy to log it again. Super simple stuff. If you have time to make almond milk, you've got plenty of time to log it. Also, just because you are eating nutrient dense food doesn't mean you are eating a deficit. Also, make sure you are getting enough protein. Vegans never seem to get enough, and you are breastfeeding, and breast milk is made from protein. As are muscles...there is no way you are getting enough to do both on the sample diet you have provided.
  • sodaceratops
    Diem78 wrote: »
    You have time to log if you cut back on something else. You say you walk 3 + hours per day? Take one of those hours and pre plan/log your food.

I walk this much because my baby is, as some would say, a "high need" baby. He gets very fussy when we're at home. Cutting his walk time is a non option.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    just being logical here, but doesn't it make MOST sense to eat healthy AND eat at a deficit? Having a fit HEALTHY body is important.

It's a fairly common issue, (you see it all the time here), where people think eating 'healthy' (whatever that even means), somehow will cause weight loss. Obviously that's not the case though and the appropriate calorie deficit is needed. And most times just losing the extra weight will greatly improve someones health, regardless of what they're eating. It happened to me-back when I started my weight loss phase the only thing I did was make sure I was hitting my calorie target. Not only did I lose around 50lbs, but I also improved ever single health marker my doctor uses, including normalizing a prediabetic glucose number. Now that I've been in maintenance for a few years I've tweaked how I eat/have expanded my food horizons, but back when I was overweight and totally overwhelmed, simple calorie reduction met me where I was at and was a realistic approach that got the job done :)
  • sodaceratops
    I also forgot to ask if you have had your thyroid tested?

And I agree about the slime feeling - once you stop eating "weird" foods, you notice a lot more things. I've really relaxed what I eat so now I don't notice it the same. Though I am not sure that is good!

I've heard things about thyroid problems here and there. I honestly have no idea what it is/does. So no I haven't. Anytime my mom talks about a thyroid, it sounds like an old person thing. I've tried to Google about it... I still don't really know what it is. I think something about a thyroid was tested during my pregnancy but I'm not too sure.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'd be making time to log accurately before I went to get my thyroid tested. It's already been shown you could be hugely underestimating your calories. Better to eliminate the simple things first. And as someone else said, if you really were as low as 900 calories a day you'd still be losing weight, thyroid issues or not.
  • sodaceratops
    I'd be making time to log accurately before I went to get my thyroid tested. It's already been shown you could be hugely underestimating your calories. Better to eliminate the simple things first. And as someone else said, if you really were as low as 900 calories a day you'd still be losing weight, thyroid issues or not.

Yes, very true. I'll get on that. Procrastination and excuses are the Devils children.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Why don't you wait till your baby is sleeping and prelog your day tomorrow so you don't have to "whip out your phone every time you eat something". I suspect you will learn you were grossly underestimating your intake.
  • sodaceratops
    fascha wrote: »
    Why don't you wait till your baby is sleeping and prelog your day tomorrow so you don't have to "whip out your phone every time you eat something". I suspect you will learn you were grossly underestimating your intake.

Really great suggestion! Sadly, the only excitement I have in life is not knowing what I'll eat tomorrow. Pre-recording would just suck that excitement right out of my life.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »

True but eating "healthy" varies depending on the person. In any case, the point that was being made was no matter how healthy one eats, if they aren't at a deficit, they're not going to lose weight.

Very valid. I just hope that people are concentrating on good decisions to change their lifestyle than just a quick fix to lose some pounds. Learning to eat healthy will greatly improve your maintenance chances ... Or so I think.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017

Really great suggestion! Sadly, the only excitement I have in life is not knowing what I'll eat tomorrow. Pre-recording would just suck that excitement right out of my life.

As a mom of 3 kids, I totally just laughed out loud because I so get this lol :# I remember those days when you're stuck at home with a little one and your whole world revolves around their nap schedule! Now my youngest is 8 years old and I could do with a little less excitement, (we're entering the teen years with my oldest, shudder).
  • KayCeeRein
    KayCeeRein Posts: 44 Member

I've heard things about thyroid problems here and there. I honestly have no idea what it is/does. So no I haven't. Anytime my mom talks about a thyroid, it sounds like an old person thing. I've tried to Google about it... I still don't really know what it is. I think something about a thyroid was tested during my pregnancy but I'm not too sure.

Definately not an old person thing :P I'm only 31.
  • sodaceratops
    Well it seems like you have an answer/excuse for everything. My final suggestion is to just stay fat. You're obviously not ready to put in the work it requires to lose fat if the excitement of not knowing what you're going to eat tomorrow is more important than actually doing something about your weight problem. Give it time. When the pain of change is less than the pain of staying the same you will do what you have to.

That's so true. I hope with that excellent advice I will succeed. Thank you! You are so insightful and such an inspiration to do better.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    What's the Taco part of your taco salad?

Also you just ate some cubes of tofu with nothing? Rice, anything?
  • inertiastrength
    Well you've replied to this thread and others more than 20 times just today. I mean I'm no expert but I think it would take me the same amount of time to log my food but hey, you don't have the time for that am I right? What exactly were you looking for on a weight loss HELP forum? Perhaps we should petition the admins to create a Askhole and Pity Party section because it appears that's all you're looking for.
  • inertiastrength
    edited March 2017
    On second thought I think it would take me less time. Best of luck losing weight putting more effort into your excuses vs a plan. ✌️️