gained 6 pounds in one day!! -____-

Options

Replies

• tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This is why I love this site! you guys are so much help! Thanks for the motivation, support, and advise :)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke? Two gallons of water what do you think you would weigh?
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    It's just water. Dont worry about it. Once you've peed it all off, remember to weigh first thing in the morning before eating and drinking next time. I used to be so obsessed with water weight that I took laxatives to get rid of it. I know it's not worthy of all that stress now.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Too much water is not good for you.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend weighing yourself more than once a day. It will drive you insane.

Water has weight. So of course after you drink 2 gallons of water after your workout, you're going to weigh more than normal. That weight gain does not equate to fat gain at all.

Hell if you cut a leg off you would lose a significant amount of weight when you weigh yourself again, but that's not the kind of weight you want to lose right?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Weigh first thing in the morning after hitting the john and naked. That is how much you weigh. Weighing in the middle o the day and after chugging a crap ton o water and having eaten all through the day is NOT accurate.

I will add, 2 gallons of water in a day is excessive. If you are THAT thirsty you should go see a doctor. Excessive thirst can be a symptom of a disease.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My weight shoots up after only 2 cups of coffee in the morning, which is why i always weigh myself first thing in the morning BEFORE eating or drinking anything. Never, ever later in the day as that weight would be totally inaccurate.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I gain 5 lbs between 8am and noon every day.
  • Megansmith112712
    Megansmith112712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind to gain a pound of fat you have to eat an additional 3500 calories, so unless you at 21,000+ calories over your daily limit it is just normal weight fluctuations. You're weight will fluctuate day to day, don't put to much emphasis on your daily weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have another worry from a Herculean thirst. It could be a sign of diabetes. Does your pee smell fruity?
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    This is why I only weigh once a week, at the same time and same day each week.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi.

Drinking 2 gallon (7.56 litres) in a short amount of time - particularly if you usually drink far less than that - is enough to dilute the electrolytes (particularly sodium) in your blood to the point that it can interfere with bodily functions.

Forget what the scale says, if you experience dizziness, nausea, confusion, muscle twitches, severe headache, seizure, can't walk straight please get yourself some urgent medical attention.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    2 gallons of water is like - nearly 8 litres? Hell. Water toxicity is a thing - Google it. It can be fatal.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    2 gallons of water is like - nearly 8 litres? Hell. Water toxicity is a thing - Google it. It can be fatal.

This. That sounds like a dangerous amount of water to drink, even if you spent the whole day trekking through a desert.
    Particularly - and I'm not saying you are, I don't know you - but if you were drinking this amount of water out of any kind of anxiety relating to losing weight - that would be worrying.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    *Anything* that you consumed after your morning weigh-in (including liquids) will add the weight of those items to your overall weight on the scale. Has nothing to do with fat gain.

If you ate a pound of gummy bears, guess what? Your weight would immediately go up by a pound if you stepped on the scale after eating them. ;)

Actually untrue
    I've weighed ate then weighed and weighed the same your body won't always show a small amount food up otherwise we'd all be hugely heavier by the end of the day as our food can weigh a lot it's more complicated than eat 1lb food weigh 1lb heavier
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have another worry from a Herculean thirst. It could be a sign of diabetes. Does your pee smell fruity?

I have never heard of this until last night. Apparently, my MIL asked my wife if I had diabetes because I pee like a race horse. But I also drink almost 200oz of fluids a day..

But then again, my 16 month son has had the ability to pee through every brand of diaper, even if we put a pad in it. And we both have fantastic blood work.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    *Anything* that you consumed after your morning weigh-in (including liquids) will add the weight of those items to your overall weight on the scale. Has nothing to do with fat gain.

If you ate a pound of gummy bears, guess what? Your weight would immediately go up by a pound if you stepped on the scale after eating them. ;)

Actually untrue
    I've weighed ate then weighed and weighed the same your body won't always show a small amount food up otherwise we'd all be hugely heavier by the end of the day as our food can weigh a lot it's more complicated than eat 1lb food weigh 1lb heavier
    That could be the sensitivity of the scale at fault. Some scales won't detect small increments.

Then there are rounding errors. For example (using kilograms), let's say I weigh myself and the scale says 99.6kg. My scale only displays to 1 decimal place, so 99.6 could be short for 99.55kg. If I then eat 9g of gummy bears, my weight will go up to 99.64, which will be rounded down to 99.6kg, and hey presto! No change in the scale.

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You are putting yourself into a panic, creating needless anxiety. Stop weighing yourself multiple times a day as a start. I expect you knew it was all water weight and you hadn't had time yet to flush.

Pick the morning as your regular weigh-in and expect some fluctuation day to day. Drink enough water so your pee is clear, don't over do it.