1959 calories a day! Yikes.

Options
Hello,

I am currently training with my personal trainer three times a week. My goal is to lose 50 pounds. My personal trainer says that in order to do so I must eat 1959 cal per day. Since I am new to this, I am very hesitant in eating that much food. I have currently been eating 1200 cal per day and I don't see any changes in my weight loss so far. Has anyone done something like this before where they have eaten more and seen positive results?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, my starting weight was 254 lbs and I'm a 45-year-old woman standing 5'3". MFP gave me an initial calorie goal of 1720 and I did lose weight. Five months and 41 lbs later, my calories have been revised to 1520 and the weight is still coming off. (And I've become more active and usually eat back about half of the calories I burn off. If I don't, I get hungry.)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1200, and how did you choose that number?

I have been eating around 1600 a day and losing. I started at 173 and I'm around 165 now.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    What's is your height/weight? I'm 5-7, 150 and run 5 miles 5x per week plus lifting and Pilates. I maintain at 2000, so for me, that would be a really slow loss.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It does seem like a lot - but we'd need to know your age, height, etc. Go to a TDEE calculator or two and explore the numbers you get.

For me, I would probably maintain eating about 1900 calories. I am 24, female, lightly active, and 5'7. I've been losing by eating 1600 calories and for a while I was losing eating 1400.

(Eta) Regarding not losing at 1200, you might have to give that a little more time depending on how long you've been trying it. And, always make sure your logging is accurate by weighting everything you eat with a food scale. Nearly everyone would lose weight eating 1200 consistently! As long as it's truly accurate.
  • sinma
    sinma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful feed back. I will keep all your suggestions and tips in mind
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I'd lose weight (although rather slowly, about 200g per week) at 1959 kcal. But I'm pretty fat. :p It depends on your stats (height, weight, activity level) and I would hope that your trainer would have taken these into account before spitting out that calorie number for you. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Without more information we don't really know if you'd lose, maintain or gain at that #.

It depends on your current stats, how active your 'life' is, how much you work out.

Personally I am at a healthy weight, 5' 5.5" and 127ish, 42, and on days I run ~30 minutes I burn a total of about 2100. Days I don't run, its about 1950. If I run an hour and do massive yard work, it may be 2500+.

Assuming this trainer knows what he's doing, knows your stats and your workouts: its reasonable to think he knows how to suggest a reasonable goal for you. Try it. For 6-8 weeks and see how it goes.
  • sinma
    Options
    Okay great
    I'm 5'5 and currently 182 pounds. I do weight training 3 times a week and 2 days cardio on a a machine.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    sinma wrote: »
    Okay great
    I'm 5'5 and currently 182 pounds. I do weight training 3 times a week and 2 days cardio on a a machine.

Oddly, with those stats I'd expect you to be maintaining at the number the trainer gave you to lose at. I'm 5'6, 212ish lbs, and my sedentary maintenance number is around 2150. You're both shorter and lighter than me, and weight lifting doesn't burn a lot of calories. How much cardio do you do in your two sessions per week? Thirty minutes? An hour? What intensity?
  • sinma
    Options
    I do 2 x a week / 45 mins / burn between 400-460 calories
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    I do 2 x a week / 45 mins / burn between 400-460 calories

That's not a bad calorie burn, but it doesn't give you a large cushion or deficit for a whole week. I ran your stats through a TDEE calculator, and I got 2050 as your maintenance number for your current weight. Maybe you should ask your trainer why he/she gave you such a high number--maybe they're trying to run you through a recomp rather than weight loss?
  • sinma
    Options
    I did the same and I will definitely ask. How many days of cardio do you recommend? Also did your calculations state how many calories I should be consuming in order to loose ?
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    I did the same and I will definitely ask. How many days of cardio do you recommend? Also did your calculations state how many calories I should be consuming in order to loose ?

I don't have any recommendations, that's definitely your trainer's area! ;) You don't have to do ANY cardio to lose weight, it's all about how many calories you eat. Any number under the (estimated) 2050 calories per day will cause you to lose weight, and the cardio and weight training will give you a further buffer. Assuming that the 2050 is accurate, 1959 will give you approximately 0.25 lbs per week of loss, as long as you're logging very accurately. The cardio and any calories burned via weight training and extra daily activity (i.e. going for walks) will increase your loss, but those are harder to pinpoint. :)

Since I'm sure your trainer had some reasoning behind the number he/she gave you, I'd talk it out with them before making any decisions. Note that even if 1959 sounds like a lot to you, you WILL still be in a deficit so there's no harm in eating that number for a few weeks to see how it goes.
  • sinma
    Options
    Thank you so much . A lot to learn! Best of luck with your journey
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Thank you so much . A lot to learn! Best of luck with your journey

You're very welcome! It's a lot to wrap your head around when you're new at it, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. :smiley: All the best to you, too! :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your day job/hobbies/lifestyle. If you're sitting at a desk and/or long commute so you're on your seat for 10 hours a day, that is different than if you're a server and working 6-8 hour shifts where you're on your feet constantly. Sedentary vs lightly active vs active vs etc.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1'' and currently 180 lbs. I started at 215 have been eating about 2000 per day, do little to no cardio, and losing about a pound per week. I'm fairly active and lift hard 4-5 times per week. (I also did a few months at maintenance and was maintaining on about 2500.) So I don't find 1959 unreasonable at all.
    You will likely have to lower that number as you lose weight, but there's no harm in starting there to get a feel for what you personally need. I prefer to eat as much as possible, so I'd much rather be able to eat 1900-2000 and lost before I would want to eat 1200.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Your trainer may be trying to kickstart your body by upping your calories to near maintenance so you can build some muscle.

I personally am losing substantial weight eating at about 2200 calories (+/-150) daily while eating back exercise calories. I don't exercise much because I am a busy mom to a young baby. You definitely can lose weight as long as you are at a calorie deficit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    Why not do it the way your trainer has suggested and see? I mean S/he knows your lifestyle and your exercise intensity. We, quite frankly, do not. :)