1959 calories a day! Yikes.

2»

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    It also depends on your day job/hobbies/lifestyle. If you're sitting at a desk and/or long commute so you're on your seat for 10 hours a day, that is different than if you're a server and working 6-8 hour shifts where you're on your feet constantly. Sedentary vs lightly active vs active vs etc.

This. A person who is on their feet for much of the day will burn more calories than someone who spends most of the day sitting but runs for half an hour every day.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    I eat 1950ish cals a day and have been losing. I only have 10 pounds to lose and have lost two pounds in the last 23 days. I prefer slow and steady. When I was eating 1200 cals I lost a lot of weight a lot faster but gained it back probably twice as fast when I went off track.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    sinma wrote: »
    Hello,

I am currently training with my personal trainer three times a week. My goal is to lose 50 pounds. My personal trainer says that in order to do so I must eat 1959 cal per day. Since I am new to this, I am very hesitant in eating that much food. I have currently been eating 1200 cal per day and I don't see any changes in my weight loss so far. Has anyone done something like this before where they have eaten more and seen positive results?

I'm assuming the trainer is referring to the total number of calories (rather then the NET calories tracked by MFP). Depending on your workouts, the difference between 1200 NET and 1959 could potentially be quite small. If you are exercising, then 1200 total is not enough.
  • dovnkels
    dovnkels Posts: 25 Member
    I am interested in what kind of cardio you are doing on a machine that burns 400 to 600 calories in 45 minutes!?? The best I can do is a sweat drenched 50 minute spin class that estimates a 350 burn.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    dovnkels wrote: »
    I am interested in what kind of cardio you are doing on a machine that burns 400 to 600 calories in 45 minutes!?? The best I can do is a sweat drenched 50 minute spin class that estimates a 350 burn.

Keep in mind this is also relative to the size of the person... The only way I can burn 600 in an hour is to run for an hour. And even then it might not quite be 600. I am ~127 pounds.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

I could do that on the elliptical and I'm 5'5" and 140 lbs. I'd have to go fast though and even then, definitely closer to 400 than 600 for 45 minutes, lol.

OP, 1200 is probably too low, but IMO 1950 is too high, I suggest you go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and pick lightly active to give you a more appropriate goal.

That being said, 2 workouts a week isn't much at all, but your general activity matters too.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I'm 5'3". 149(ish) and have lost 10lbs since November taking in between 2100 and 2400 a day (avg to about 2250) - some weeks I work out 5 days a week, others it is more like 2, depending on my work schedule - normally 45min to an hour
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member

At OP's weight & height (which is very near my height and starting weight (183)) a 45 minute spin class would burn around 400, according to my heart rate monitor. Rowing machine would burn more in the same time period for me (uses more body parts). And any exercise burn is very weight dependent. Now that I'm in the 120s rather than the 180s, I'm lucky to burn above 250-275-ish in the same spin class - same instructor, same exertion, etc.

OP, I lost most of my weight (at your height) at 1400-1600 net calories (around 1700-1900 gross calories most days), and I was 59/60 years old at the time (but I do have a higher than average calorie requirement for my age/size).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'd also caution, that if you haven't seen results at 1200 (how long have you been eating that low?) then there may a problem with inaccurate logging and upping your goal by 700 calories is not going to be the solution.

This.

Can you open your food diary for us to look at? There are many erroneous entries in the database, unfortunately. With your stats, you should have been losing at 1200, so making sure you don't gain when you increase your calories.

By "no results", do you mean you weren't losing at all, or just slow?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I agree with this ^ Your body is the best calorie burn estimator there is. You will lose weight if you are in calorie deficit, stay the same if you are balanced and gain weight if you eat more than your output. If you think you are eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight it could well be your are not accurately determining the calories you are consuming. The only way to lose weight would be to burn more or eat less.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    What's is your height/weight? I'm 5-7, 150 and run 5 miles 5x per week plus lifting and Pilates. I maintain at 2000, so for me, that would be a really slow loss.

Same for me.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Sounds like your plan is a good one. I think the trainer has you on a total estimated calories (including exercise number, that is, you wouldn't increase the number he/she gave you by eating back your exercise calories) I'd honestly consider that inaccurate logging is happening. It's like 75% of us, seriously, even nutritionists do it. Grab a digital kitchen scale for $20 and weigh everything, including the oil you cook with. It all adds up fast.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I'd ask your trainer to explain how he came up with your target.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    sinma wrote: »
    I do 2 x a week / 45 mins / burn between 400-460 calories

How are you calculating that burn?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member

I burn 600 cals on the bike but I average a 16.5 mph pace and I also am oveweight. Depends on the size of the person.