Why is it SO HARD not to eat kids' leftovers?

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I give my kids servings that I know they are likely to eat given experience.

If they have leftovers, I'm not particularly tempted...they somehow manage to "slime" all over their food...and they always have their hands down their pants scratching their butts and whatnot despite constant nagging from mom and dad. Their remaining chicken nugget isn't particularly tempting when you've seen them touching their food with their dirty *kitten* hands...
    staceyw37 wrote: »
    i just tell myself it's contaminated. ick

Yeah, my nephew picks his butt when we aren't looking. If his hands or saliva have touched something, no thank you.
  • jennylea70
    jennylea70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It is so hard! I mean really, why would they not eat the last bites of pizza with the crust??? That's the best part! I will admit it is getting a little easier the more I stay focused on the weight loss. I've been adding everything in to my diary, every little bite. It's really annoying. :s But helps to see how much all those little left over bites are adding up to. (The little tasting bites when I'm cooking too!) :D
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm lucky that eating off of other people's plates grosses me out. I have this problem with the unserved leftovers though. So I wrap it or scrape it FAST! Don't think, just do.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Just think of all the spit that flies onto that food when lil loud kids talk. The saliva that gets all over it when the fork they ate off of scrapes against the food. The germs from lil sticky fingers. UGGGGGGHHHHHH EWWWWWWW!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Get a dog? :wink:
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of not putting the homemade naan away immediately after dinner and now it is in my belly. :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You're not a trash can. You don't need to eat garbage. Throw that stuff away. Think of yourself as something to be treated well - not as a human garbage disposal.

That would only be true if she was feeding her kids garbage.

An omelette hardly qualifies. ;)

I was raised in a clean-your-plate generational mentality, because food wasn't something we had an excess of back then. It did take me a while to break that mentality when I became a mom.

We have green bin recycling here - food scraps go into the bin and are collected once a week and composted by the town. Every spring residents can pick up free compost. Works for me, and I no longer feel guilty about not eating leftovers. :)

But once the kids are done and have eaten all they are going to eat it is garbage - not something she needs to be shoving in her face no matter how healthy it is. Compost bin is fine but she's not a compost bin either. She needs to realize she has more value than that and treat herself accordingly.

I'm confused. When I eat all I'm going to eat and there are leftovers, they are leftovers, not garbage. I often save leftovers for a frittata.

Is it because the food was touched by an apparently toxic child that leftovers become garbage?
    I hardly think of feeding my kid garbage. Processed food isn't the devil. People who got fat did because they just flat out ate more than they needed to on a daily basis.

Oh I give up. Eat all the damn food and get fat as hell what do I care. I never said processed food was garbage or kids were toxic. I said not to treat your body as a trash can by eating food your kids are not going to eat and no one else is going to eat. If you don't want to keep them as leftovers and they only other option was to throw them away then YES they are garbage. But apparently I should encouraging the OP to shovel every morsel of food in the whole damn house into her mouth without any self control because EAT ALL THE FOOOOOD!!!! Good lord. You people are impossible.

I fail to see how not understanding why 'leftovers = garbage' equals "encouraging the OP to shovel every morsel of food in the whole damn house into her mouth without any self control."

Perhaps what you're trying to do is encourage the OP to think of leftovers as garbage as a mental trick? In that case it would be more clear if that's how you framed it, instead of insisting that something is garbage when it is not necessarily so.

Take leftover grapes or baby carrots for example. Would you have a problem putting these leftovers back in the frig if they had been untouched by the little munchkin's snotty hands?

I wouldn't have had an issue with putting the omelet in the fridge but if the only option I was entertaining was the trash can or my mouth and I didn't actually want to eat it then I would chose the trash can because clearly at that point it is garbage. I'm sorry that offends you so much. I'm still not changing my opinion to make you happy.

You don't offend me. You confuse me.

I don't want you to change your opinion, I want you to explain it, preferably without all the drama, as this hurts your case.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of not putting the homemade naan away immediately after dinner and now it is in my belly. :(

Ooooo, homemade naan!
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Ready2Rock206 -- If it helps at all i do see what you are saying :)

It really is no different then anyone else making a choice to eat or not to eat, when i did nothing but pick, pick, pick i felt like it really dragged me down emotionally, i wanted to stop this behavior as a respectful action to myself not only physically so i could lose weight and maintain a deficit, but also mentally because picking is hard to log and i only hated myself for it when i did it. In those senses, i felt like a garbage can.. always putting food in my mouth like a flip lid people push with their foot lol, by finding a way to stop the behavior it was a way of giving myself some respect because i did not need to actively participate in that behavior

See now THIS makes sense to me :)

Rather than making it about the leftovers, you're discussing your behavior, and your feelings about it, and that I get.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're not a trash can. You don't need to eat garbage. Throw that stuff away. Think of yourself as something to be treated well - not as a human garbage disposal.

I was raised in a clean-your-plate generational mentality, because food wasn't something we had an excess of back then. It did take me a while to break that mentality when I became a mom.

We have green bin recycling here - food scraps go into the bin and are collected once a week and composted by the town. Every spring residents can pick up free compost. Works for me, and I no longer feel guilty about not eating leftovers. :)

But once the kids are done and have eaten all they are going to eat it is garbage - not something she needs to be shoving in her face no matter how healthy it is. Compost bin is fine but she's not a compost bin either. She needs to realize she has more value than that and treat herself accordingly.

I'm confused. When I eat all I'm going to eat and there are leftovers, they are leftovers, not garbage. I often save leftovers for a frittata.

Is it because the food was touched by an apparently toxic child that leftovers become garbage?
    I hardly think of feeding my kid garbage. Processed food isn't the devil. People who got fat did because they just flat out ate more than they needed to on a daily basis.

Oh I give up. Eat all the damn food and get fat as hell what do I care. I never said processed food was garbage or kids were toxic. I said not to treat your body as a trash can by eating food your kids are not going to eat and no one else is going to eat. If you don't want to keep them as leftovers and they only other option was to throw them away then YES they are garbage. But apparently I should encouraging the OP to shovel every morsel of food in the whole damn house into her mouth without any self control because EAT ALL THE FOOOOOD!!!! Good lord. You people are impossible.

I fail to see how not understanding why 'leftovers = garbage' equals "encouraging the OP to shovel every morsel of food in the whole damn house into her mouth without any self control."

Perhaps what you're trying to do is encourage the OP to think of leftovers as garbage as a mental trick? In that case it would be more clear if that's how you framed it, instead of insisting that something is garbage when it is not necessarily so.

Take leftover grapes or baby carrots for example. Would you have a problem putting these leftovers back in the frig if they had been untouched by the little munchkin's snotty hands?

I wouldn't have had an issue with putting the omelet in the fridge but if the only option I was entertaining was the trash can or my mouth and I didn't actually want to eat it then I would chose the trash can because clearly at that point it is garbage. I'm sorry that offends you so much. I'm still not changing my opinion to make you happy.

You don't offend me. You confuse me.

I don't want you to change your opinion, I want you to explain it, preferably without all the drama, as this hurts your case.

I can't explain it to someone who has their own agenda. I don't play those games. I'm out.
  • Ready2Rock206
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Or maybe some of us can eat all the food and not get fat. I cook enough to feed my family a SINGLE serving, not 2 or more. If my kid doesn't finish her steak, I'll eat it. The extra 3oz won't be a problem for me to burn off if I need to do it.
    Honestly, I've been the "human garbage disposal" practically my whole life. How fat do I look?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But the OP doesn't want to eat the food so she shouldn't feel obligated to do so out of guilt or whatever makes her eat food she doesn't want to eat. She should be free to throw out the food if she doesn't want it, eat it if she does or save it for later. You already know you're an awesome beast who feels great no matter what you do with the food. OP should feel the same about herself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options

Or maybe some of us can eat all the food and not get fat. I cook enough to feed my family a SINGLE serving, not 2 or more. If my kid doesn't finish her steak, I'll eat it. The extra 3oz won't be a problem for me to burn off if I need to do it.
    Honestly, I've been the "human garbage disposal" practically my whole life. How fat do I look?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But the OP doesn't want to eat the food so she shouldn't feel obligated to do so out of guilt or whatever makes her eat food she doesn't want to eat. She should be free to throw out the food if she doesn't want it, eat it if she does or save it for later. You already know you're an awesome beast who feels great no matter what you do with the food. OP should feel the same about herself.
    So then why not be more constructive instead. How about advising to making/cooking smaller portions to not only save herself from eating excess but also not having to waste money throwing stuff away because she shouldn't eat it?
    IMO, that's just teaching your kid just how to waste money. Kids aren't dumb, they follow habitual behavior they observe. And the whole "garbage" thing threw me off. It's not garbage when you're eating it, but it is when you can't finish it? I mean, eating it later in the day when one has burned off some calories isn't going to change it's nutritional value. Have it as a snack, or combine it with whatever else you're having that day. It doesn't HAVE to be "garbage" to be thrown away to avoid eating it AT THAT TIME.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you want to stop, start with keeping track of every time you do eat those leftovers, write it down in a notebook or something. Also do the visualization of what your child's hands have been while making this record. You will hopefully find it becomes less automatic. The other thing is to have a mantra that "I cannot send this food elsewhere, I forgive my child for the waste." You can do this
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes give in and eat the leftovers, but I don't feel so bad if I give it to the dog or put it in the compost.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So then why not be more constructive instead. How about advising to making/cooking smaller portions to not only save herself from eating excess but also not having to waste money throwing stuff away because she shouldn't eat it?
    IMO, that's just teaching your kid just how to waste money. Kids aren't dumb, they follow habitual behavior they observe. And the whole "garbage" thing threw me off. It's not garbage when you're eating it, but it is when you can't finish it? I mean, eating it later in the day when one has burned off some calories isn't going to change it's nutritional value. Have it as a snack, or combine it with whatever else you're having that day. It doesn't HAVE to be "garbage" to be thrown away to avoid eating it AT THAT TIME.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's garbage when you want to throw it in the trash but put it in your mouth instead. I never said anything about the quality of the food or the nutritional value. It could be the most nutritional high quality food on the face of the earth but if OP wants to throw it away and not eat it for whatever reason then she shouldn't feel obligated to eat it just because it is good food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's garbage when you want to throw it in the trash but put it in your mouth instead. I never said anything about the quality of the food or the nutritional value. It could be the most nutritional high quality food on the face of the earth but if OP wants to throw it away and not eat it for whatever reason then she shouldn't feel obligated to eat it just because it is good food.
    OP has mentioned it "BUGS HER" to waste it. She's never mentioned throwing it out, just feeling an obligation to eat it.
    So why not teach her it's not an obligation without resorting to labeling it as "garbage"? Again, why not advise on saving it for later? Your first reaction was to just throw it out. Say her kid isn't hungry, yet she makes some food. Just throw it out? Lol, a kid will catch onto that quick.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Regarding giving it to the dog: just make sure it doesn't have any ingredients that are bad for dogs. (Onions and garlic are toxic for dogs and cats, for example. Grapes /raisins as well.)