Fitbit synced to mfp calories with weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    I have it set to sedentary, from a bmi standpoint I am considered obese but I realized some people follow exactly what fitbit says and still lose weight. I think you're right I need to be patient and moniter it for a few weeks and see where I am, its too early to tell. I guess it seems to be correct after thinking about it. Some of you I'm 2 times your size so I can see being allocated 2 times the amount of calories.

I am 6'1", female, weigh 165, am lightly active, and am losing weight at around 0.5lb/week. I am actually at goal weight now, but I'm tweaking my maintenance setttings.

My fitbit / mfp have me losing at that rate using a starting point of 1960 cals. I eat back most (if not all) of my exercise cals, and sometimes a little bit more. There are days where I'm a couple hundred lower, some where I'm a bit higher, and some where I'm way over the top or under. I try to keep my weekly average to that net weight lost.

Being that you're the same height, male, and carrying the extra weight... you'd totally be able to lose weight at what the recommendations seem to state.

If your days consistently look like the one you shared, then I'd also recommend you change your setting to lightly active in both fitbit and MFP. You'll still get extra calories, but it won't look so inflated. (Because it's crediting you the cals different between sedentary and lightly active PLUS the additional exercise cals.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm 6"0 240, I'm in the obese range for the bmi chart but I have a good amount of muscle, I'm hoping to lose 40 pounds and my waist is a 36/38. I've had the charge hr 2 since maybe a month after it was released, that's a day of me up at 8am in the bed at 12pm with a fair amount of walking. To me it seems high, I don't feel stuffed I feel close to full most of the day but so much food makes me nervous, I was curious to if anyone has had experience eating all their exercise calories back and still losing weight.

Good. Those are numbers I actually know pretty well. My husband is 6'1 and weighed about 240 when we got our FitBits. (He's down to 220 now.) Like you, he's muscular. He usually hits his 10,000 steps/day. I suspect he's a bit older than you as he's 49, so I'd expect his burns to be a little lower. He typically burned about 3,500 calories on a non-workout day when he was 240, but it was not unheard of for him to hit 4,000. (Yes, small ladies, grumble away. I do so daily.)

So, if all you did was walk 12,000 steps, I suspect that FitBit is slightly overestimating your calorie burn - but only by a few hundred calories. Check your settings. Is your stride length entered correctly? If your stride length is too long, FitBit will think you walked farther than you did - and award you with too many calories burned. If you were also on your feet a lot or did some non-walking workout, it might be right since the heartrate monitor feature appears to credit us somewhat for time spent standing (which burns more calories than sitting).
  • gataman3000
    gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating maybe 90 to 95 percent of my exercise calories back, It seems be accurate and I didn't feel hungry.