Gaining weight by exercising more and eating less---Could it be starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for six months straight and have not experienced adaptive thermogenesis, starvation mode, or conservation mode. As I understand it adaptive thermogenesis happens when a person eats a low calorie diet over a long period of time. Your print out is interesting, but it does not answer all our questions. How long have you been tracking your calories and body weight? When did you gain six pounds? Are you measuring your food portions with a scale, measuring cups, or estimating?
  • fubarfornow
    fubarfornow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am nowhere near your stats (I wish I were!) and when this happens to me it is water weight, sometimes from something that didn't show up as salty on the MFP stats, so I wasn't expecting it. I'm too old for this issue, but could you possibly be pregnant? I would think your dietician has checked, or had you check, but if it is theoretically possible, you might want to check it out.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,670 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've been dieting for six months straight and have not experienced adaptive thermogenesis, starvation mode, or conservation mode. As I understand it adaptive thermogenesis happens when a person eats a low calorie diet over a long period of time. Your print out is interesting, but it does not answer all our questions. How long have you been tracking your calories and body weight? When did you gain six pounds? Are you measuring your food portions with a scale, measuring cups, or estimating?

You're also not BMI 20 and creating a deficit that cannot be supported by your available fat stores.

Having said that, the weight "gain" fluctuation is not what adaptive thermogenesis is about.

And having said that the OPs focus on weight while at a low normal weight and with a build that is unlikely to be skinny fat given her exercise levels is of concern to me at least.
  • jennybearlv
    edited March 2017
    Options
    True, but when I was a BMI of 20 I still lost weight when I didn't eat enough.

And since were editing, I did not say her weight gain or adaptive thermogenesis had anything to do with fluctuation. I don't have the OP's situation figured out, hence the questions.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This was me this time last year. I'm 5'6", athletic, have always been around 118-123. Early 2016 I got injured and became slightly more sedentary - my weight shot up 8lb in 2 werks. Made no sense. I started training again and counting calories, netting around 1000-1300 each day, depending on my training schedule, and I could NOT lose any weight. But I stuck to the lifestyle because it helped me be more mindful about what I ate and I thought it was the right thing to do anyway.
    This went on for about 10months - no weight loss. Then beginning of this year - my weight dropped. 6 lb in 2 months - and I didn't feel like I changed anything. Again, it did not make any sense to me - but through this process, I learned to not obsess over the whole weight thing, and completely revamped my eating habits.
    I know this probably didn't help you much - I was in your shoes, and know how frustrating it could be. But since you asked for similar experiences, I thought I'd share. At the end of the day - take the long-term view -- do your best with eating well and within limits, the weight will drop, and you'll be healthier. As for increasing calories - if you feel good eating 1,500 at the current activity level, then I wouldn't raise the caloric intake. I don't think starvation mode is all it's cracked up to be.
  • CorinnePina
    CorinnePina Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm using measuring cups. I gained the 6 pounds in the last month; haven't changed anything.
    I've been under eating and over exercising for many years. I also had anorexia from from age 15-30. I just want to get it "right" this time. I don't lose any weight restricting calories any further; I tried that for the past 15 years too. I used to eat 1,200 calories a day and workout 3 hours a day and not lose any weight. My weight seems to have these sudden fluctuations.

• jennybearlv
    Options
    I'm using measuring cups. I gained the 6 pounds in the last month; haven't changed anything.

A pound of fat is gained by eating an extra 3500 calories. So, for you to gain 6 pounds in a month you would have to be eating 700 calories over your TDEE everyday. Something is not adding up big time.

Using a food scale would be more accurate. Not sure it's your solution, but it wouldn't hurt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    I've been under eating and over exercising for many years. I also had anorexia from from age 15-30. I just want to get it "right" this time. I don't lose any weight restricting calories any further; I tried that for the past 15 years too. I used to eat 1,200 calories a day and workout 3 hours a day and not lose any weight. My weight seems to have these sudden fluctuations.
    You're still under eating based on your BMR and amount of exercise and NEAT. How do you not see this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CorinnePina
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You're still under eating based on your BMR and amount of exercise and NEAT. How do you not see this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I can see this. So I have to increase my calories, which was my question in the beginning right?
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Your bmi is 20.1 you are on the low end of the normal range. Eat at least your base metabolic rate.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,670 Member
    Options

During your recovery from anorexia have you ever reached a BMI of 22?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I started working with an RD a few months ago because I wanted to focus on improving performance in triathlons and not just attempting to lose weight

I had the same tests done that you did - and found similar (I had been averaging about 1400cal a day) and that was under my BMR. They slowly started moving me up in calories - I now take in between 2100 and 2400 a day (had a cycle that they have me on) and I've been weight stabled at about 149lbs, focusing on recomp
  • CorinnePina
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

No, I never did.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Do you not like the way you look currently? If you think you look great, why care about the number on the scale?