Gaining weight by exercising more and eating less---Could it be starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• CorinnePina
    CorinnePina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    I've been dieting for six months straight and have not experienced adaptive thermogenesis, starvation mode, or conservation mode. As I understand it adaptive thermogenesis happens when a person eats a low calorie diet over a long period of time. Your print out is interesting, but it does not answer all our questions. How long have you been tracking your calories and body weight? When did you gain six pounds? Are you measuring your food portions with a scale, measuring cups, or estimating?
    I'm using measuring cups. I gained the 6 pounds in the last month; haven't changed anything.
    I've been under eating and over exercising for many years. I also had anorexia from from age 15-30. I just want to get it "right" this time. I don't lose any weight restricting calories any further; I tried that for the past 15 years too. I used to eat 1,200 calories a day and workout 3 hours a day and not lose any weight. My weight seems to have these sudden fluctuations.

Do you not like the way you look currently? If you think you look great, why care about the number on the scale?

No, I think I am fat and ugly
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Well you're definitely not:-/ as to how many credentials your dietician has, I work in the medical industry and know professionals with masters degrees that have been learning their field for over 10 years and are STILL learning new things. It's only pieces of paper. Some just do it for the money (I do it because I'm actually passionate about helping people). A person can be a great student, but putting things into practise, in the real world, from the experience I'VE had in the medical world, doesn't mean the be all and end all. People here have given great advice, many with the exact same advice, that have learned from PERSONAL experience rather than from papers.
    Good luck:-)
  • CorinnePina
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I've been dieting for six months straight and have not experienced adaptive thermogenesis, starvation mode, or conservation mode. As I understand it adaptive thermogenesis happens when a person eats a low calorie diet over a long period of time. Your print out is interesting, but it does not answer all our questions. How long have you been tracking your calories and body weight? When did you gain six pounds? Are you measuring your food portions with a scale, measuring cups, or estimating?
    I'm using measuring cups. I gained the 6 pounds in the last month; haven't changed anything.
    I've been under eating and over exercising for many years. I also had anorexia from from age 15-30. I just want to get it "right" this time. I don't lose any weight restricting calories any further; I tried that for the past 15 years too. I used to eat 1,200 calories a day and workout 3 hours a day and not lose any weight. My weight seems to have these sudden fluctuations.

Do you not like the way you look currently? If you think you look great, why care about the number on the scale?

Massive red flag. Are you currently in counseling?

NO.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

Oh, I didn't see your edit. I thought maybe you had a couple vanity pounds to lose, but if you have been anorexic in the past that's a whole other story. Anorexia is one of those few things that can mess up your metabolism, but I am going to agree with the posters telling you to look at therapy. If you believe you are netting 800 calories a day and believe you are fat that does not sound mentally healthy for you. I think you should up your calories and seek therapy to help you deal with any changes this brings.
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode isn't real.

Nutritionist isn't a real thing. Not in the way that matters. Anyone can say they're a nutritionist. You don't need a degree.

You're eating more than you think you are or you're fluctuating. The end.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Speak with a therapist.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Looks like you have people with full access to your history and with significant testing resources available to them trying to help you deal with an adaptive thermogenesis situation.

I have two questions.

What do you expect the community with no access to you or your records to offer to you?

Why are you focused on losing WEIGHT at a BMI of 20?
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Looks like you have people with full access to your history and with significant testing resources available to them trying to help you deal with an adaptive thermogenesis situation.

I have two questions.

What do you expect the community with no access to you or your records to offer to you?

Why are you focused on losing WEIGHT at a BMI of 20?

I just want to lose 5 pounds. I was always 122-125. I just all of a sudden gained 6 pounds changing nothing. I mean how can "adaptive thermogenesis" be a myth? If my BMR is 1,685 calories and I eat only 1,400; my body goes into conversation mode.

It seems like you're worrying an awful lot for what amounts to normal weight fluctuation (5 to 6 lbs).
    What does "all of a sudden" mean? If it was within a few days, or even a week or two, it's highly unlikely that it's six pounds of fat. Lots of things can cause increased water retention, including stress hormones.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You are 5'7", 130 pounds. You do not have any weight to lose. If you gained, it has to be because you ate more than you thought you did, or it's serious water retention issue!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I have to ask why you bothered asking here since you apparently already know everything and don't want to hear any answers?

This
  • VVVeeVee
    VVVeeVee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I'd hazard a guess that body dysmorphia is a more pressing worry than adaptive thermogenesis.

This

Also, maybe take a pregnancy test.
  • CorinnePina
    Options
    I'm not pregnant for sure!