Weighing less at night?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Hubby weighs in the morning after peeing and #2. He weighs in the evening after supper, so he's got at least 3 meals in him and 1L of water. He ate 2 McGriddles, 2 Burger King original chicken sammiches, probably a PB cookie from Tim's (he didn't say but he usually has something while waiting for his ride home), supper (similar to what I had if you want to snoop), 8 wasabi ranch snapeas, 8 chocolate almonds, half a bag of low sodium potato chips (about 170 g, the bag is 255 g), and 17 arrowroot cookies yesterday. He may have eaten more after I went to sleep.

It seems strange to him that he can eat/drink several pounds of food and weigh less, while having not consumed anything for 7 hours he weighs more. Yesterday morning he weighed 261.4, last night 259.6, this morning 260.2. Yes, the body fluctuates in weight, but how does it weigh less after adding weight?

Have him weigh right before bed. Nothing to drink afterward. (I actually thought you had said that earlier but I must have misread.) And then have him weigh again in the morning, immediately after peeing, no drinking anything. No clothes either time. I can't believe that he would weigh more, the 2nd time.

It certainly can happen.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Mine is like that too. It's primarily because I eat the 95% of daily calories in the evenings. So by morning, I am heavier because of the undigested food. However, since I fast most of the day, my body has had time to digest some of the food as well as use some of the stored up glycogen from the night before.

So, I easily weigh less at 4 pm than I did at 8 am the same morning.

I think meal timing could be a factor for sure. I know it is for me.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I weigh the least at mid-morning, assuming I haven't already eaten breakfast.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hubby weighs in the morning after peeing and #2. He weighs in the evening after supper, so he's got at least 3 meals in him and 1L of water. He ate 2 McGriddles, 2 Burger King original chicken sammiches, probably a PB cookie from Tim's (he didn't say but he usually has something while waiting for his ride home), supper (similar to what I had if you want to snoop), 8 wasabi ranch snapeas, 8 chocolate almonds, half a bag of low sodium potato chips (about 170 g, the bag is 255 g), and 17 arrowroot cookies yesterday. He may have eaten more after I went to sleep.

It seems strange to him that he can eat/drink several pounds of food and weigh less, while having not consumed anything for 7 hours he weighs more. Yesterday morning he weighed 261.4, last night 259.6, this morning 260.2. Yes, the body fluctuates in weight, but how does it weigh less after adding weight?

Have him weigh right before bed. Nothing to drink afterward. (I actually thought you had said that earlier but I must have misread.) And then have him weigh again in the morning, immediately after peeing, no drinking anything. No clothes either time. I can't believe that he would weigh more, the 2nd time.

I can suggest it, but he doesn't go to sleep when I do and I'm not staying up until 2am to monitor his eating and drinking.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I weight my lowest in the afternoon/evening just before dinner. First thing in the morning, even after using the bathroom, I am always 2-4lb heavier than say 3pm. I eat my largest meal at dinner so for me it makes sense.

Does your husband enjoy large dinners?

That's not what the OP is saying, unless I am misunderstanding. The husband is weighing at night, before bed, and then in the morning, he weighs more than he did at bedtime.

**edit...ok I misread. He is weighing sometime the evening before, but not at bedtime.

Point was that some people weigh less later in the day and meal timing can be a factor. Apologies if that was unclear.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

It certainly can happen.

How? If he consumes NOTHING between weigh-ins, you are saying that he could gain? Nonsense.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

I can suggest it, but he doesn't go to sleep when I do and I'm not staying up until 2am to monitor his eating and drinking.

Then you actually have no idea what he is doing. Pointless thread, actually.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You guys can choose not to comment.... No need to be snarky.

I'm guessing he's sneaking food at night.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are bowel movement or sweating out water after first weigh in.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

It certainly can happen.

How? If he consumes NOTHING between weigh-ins, you are saying that he could gain? Nonsense.

Happens to me. And always has. I have tracked my weight for over 25 years and weigh my heaviest in the morning after going to bathroom.
    I still weigh in then as I find that the most consistent.

I'm at my lightest around 2 hours after waking up. When I've been to the bathroom 2-3 times.
    No mystery, it's just water my body has held on to over night.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I don't think I've ever weighed except in the morning after a pee. I like small breakfast, med lunch, and big dinner though... so maybe.... I drink so much water though.

I mean...pick a time and just track that, but it is a curiosity.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Our weight tends to fluctuate throughout the day. The best advice I would give your spouse is to only weigh oneself once a day preferably in the morning after performing normal body functions.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

It certainly can happen.

Happens to me. And always has. I have tracked my weight for over 25 years and weigh my heaviest in the morning after going to bathroom.

I'm at my lightest around 2 hours after waking up. When I've been to the bathroom 2-3 times.

If you peed, and have not drank anything since weighing the night before, what exactly do you thing it is " holding on to"? Are you absorbing moisture from the air?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Then you actually have no idea what he is doing. Pointless thread, actually.

My husband started tracking his weight and food this week. He noticed his morning weight was heavier than his evening weigh in. He asked me if I knew why that would be. I didn't, so I asked on here where someone might have an idea other than "he's a dude".

I apologize for not following my husband around 24/7, monitoring everything he eats, drinks, pees, and poops. I felt your advice was good and suggested it, but now I can see you're the type of MFPer who sees one tiny thing out of place, latches on to one unknown factor, and tosses everything in the trash.
    3eQD4.gif
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My husband started tracking his weight and food this week. He noticed his morning weight was heavier than his evening weigh in. He asked me if I knew why that would be. I didn't, so I asked on here where someone might have an idea other than "he's a dude".

I apologize for not following my husband around 24/7, monitoring everything he eats, drinks, pees, and poops. I felt your advice was good and suggested it, but now I can see you're the type of MFPer who sees one tiny thing out of place, latches on to one unknown factor, and tosses everything in the trash.

Not at all. Quite the contrary in fact. ;) However you started this by asking how it was possible that your husband could weigh more in the morning than he did the night before. One would assume that you would know that he was not eating or drinking anything in between those 2 weigh-ins. Otherwise, it should be obvious that he is eating or drinking, or both, in between, in which case there is no question to be answered.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What kind of job does your husband do/how active is he during the day?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

It certainly can happen.

If you peed, and have not drank anything since weighing the night before, what exactly do you thing it is " holding on to"? Are you absorbing moisture from the air?

You do understand that calories +Respiration is how weight is gained/lost?? right?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Confused by how this has started a fight...

OP, if he eats/drinks nothing between evening and morning then it isn't possible for him to get heavier, only lighter (due to sweating, respiration and midnight weewees).

So either he's eating or drinking after the weigh in, or the scales are messing with you. I'm afraid digital bathroom scales can be a bit erratic at times. Whatever method they use to zero themselves is a bit crazy. Mine will claim I have gained weight after going to the toilet, lost after a big meal and similar nonsense. It has a random error of about 2lb.

If hubby swears blind he is not eating or drinking after the evening weigh in (even water) then you might try replacing the batteries and/or getting a new one. Or just live with it - I mean, a 2lb error in perhaps 200lb isn't that bad, when you think about it. It's less than 2% out.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have discovered over the years that I am a scientific mystery...I will often weight myself as soon as I get up, before going to the bathroom, then again after I have gone, just out of curiosity to see how much difference it makes. Without fail, if I only go pee, I will weigh less after I pee...however, if I do a #2, I will weigh MORE than my pre-bathroom weight. I don't know how it is physically possible, but it happens Every.Single.Time. But if I wait a few minutes and weigh myself again, then I will be considerably down from my pre-bathroom weight. It's just immediately after my #2 that my weight goes up. Serious mysterious...
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Confused by how this has started a fight...

OP, if he eats/drinks nothing between evening and morning then it isn't possible for him to get heavier, only lighter (due to sweating, respiration and midnight weewees).

So either he's eating or drinking after the weigh in, or the scales are messing with you. I'm afraid digital bathroom scales can be a bit erratic at times. Whatever method they use to zero themselves is a bit crazy. Mine will claim I have gained weight after going to the toilet, lost after a big meal and similar nonsense. It has a random error of about 2lb.

If hubby swears blind he is not eating or drinking after the evening weigh in (even water) then you might try replacing the batteries and/or getting a new one. Or just live with it - I mean, a 2lb error in perhaps 200lb isn't that bad, when you think about it. It's less than 2% out.

Yep, some scales have crap accuracy even under ideal conditions. I had a scale once that was even worse than yours; it had about a +/- 1.5 lb error. Scales can also be significantly affected by temperature, with a cold bathroom tile floor in the morning having a significant effect on the measurement.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/

I have a pretty good scale now. It is accurate to about +/- 0.2 lb. I weigh right before bed and right after using the bathroom in the morning. I usually lose about 3 lbs overnight, as I would expect. You are exhausting matter and expending energy during the course of the night, so I don't see how it is possible to gain weight.