BCAA (branch chain amino acids)

Options
has or does anyone use these I have heard a few people say they are good for when you do fasted gym sessions but not sure if just a waste of money

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, I think they are a waste of money. The documented effects are minor at best and are not worth the investment for me since I don't care if I last a few seconds longer while running.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are getting sufficient protein they are surplus to requirement. I only ever use them if I will be fasted and doing strenuous exercise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I got a free bottle with my protein powder. I ended up throwing them away. I felt bad and wasteful for doing it, but i could find zero benefits for me to take them. I didn't want to pop pills for the hell of it.
  • jesseecaden
    jesseecaden Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I take mine whenever I do strength training just to help my muscles repair themselves and help alleviate some of the soreness that can come from torn muscles. But just general exercise, like walking, I don't usually waste it on that.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I tried them but felt zero benefit.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If you are getting sufficient protein they are surplus to requirement. I only ever use them if I will be fasted and doing strenuous exercise.

So are they helpful if you're NOT getting enough protein? I am lifting progressively 2-3 days a week with cardio those days also and I'm having the hardest time hitting my protein by quite a lot. I have my macros set at 20% protein and after checking last night, I'm averaging 13% over the last 60 days. I'm also struggling with getting any more weight down and keep wondering if it's because I'm lacking the protein while lifting as much as I am. Would adding BCAA's for someone like me be helpful???
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

So are they helpful if you're NOT getting enough protein? I am lifting progressively 2-3 days a week with cardio those days also and I'm having the hardest time hitting my protein by quite a lot. I have my macros set at 20% protein and after checking last night, I'm averaging 13% over the last 60 days. I'm also struggling with getting any more weight down and keep wondering if it's because I'm lacking the protein while lifting as much as I am. Would adding BCAA's for someone like me be helpful???

Maybe. I personally would buy a whey protein supplement rather than BCAA's if that is the case.

If you really haven't lost any weight for 60 days then you're eating too much and not to do with your protein intake.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I had some, I used it exclusively for fasted long sessions. I used it up and didn't replace it (I still w/o fasted once a week but I doubt that it is long enough to be a catabolism issue).
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Maybe. I personally would buy a whey protein supplement rather than BCAA's if that is the case.

If you really haven't lost any weight for 60 days then you're eating too much and not to do with your protein intake.

I can't have any dairy. I have egg protein and pea protein that I can use. The problem I have with them is I have to make a protein drink out of them and when I do that (especially to hit my protein macro) it ends up being almost 400 calories (one is 110 cals and the other 130 cals). I'd have to mix it with water to keep it at 240 cals. Trying to fit that into 1200 cals (even 1350 if I eat back half my exercise cals) is really hard. It literally means doing a shake for a full meal. :/ Which, I guess I could do. I've not lost pounds so much this past 60 days but I'm losing clothing sizes (and getting loose skin on top of it) so I figure something is still moving - just not the scale right now???? Okay, it's moving, just REALLY slooooowwwww.....like a 1/4 lb at a time some weeks. I just moved my target calories from 1550 to 1200 the other day so I'll see what that does for actual numbers. I probably shouldn't complain if my clothes are getting loose but I do worry about the protein thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I take mine whenever I do strength training just to help my muscles repair themselves and help alleviate some of the soreness that can come from torn muscles. But just general exercise, like walking, I don't usually waste it on that.
    Unfortunately, taking them before a workout doesn't repair them nor alleviate DOMS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I use BCAAS for 3 reasons

A) To drink during heavy lifting sessions to of course replenish and keep my muscles less fatigued and my recovery time very quick (of course muscle soreness is normal but I won't be limping after a 2 hr leg sesh like most lol)

B)To curb my cravings for sweets during the day and or evening

C)To ensure I keep my lean muscle mass and help the anabolic process of the protein to maximize growth and minimize muscle loss (although some muscle loss is inevitable if training fasted)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    From what I've researched (read), BCAA's help on harsher training days with muscle repair and soreness. There are plenty of other benefits but doesn't seem proven. I do drink BCAA's on my heavier strength training days. I do have less muscle soreness.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    For me, personally, I think they are a waste of money. The documented effects are minor at best and are not worth the investment for me since I don't care if I last a few seconds longer while running.

I wonder what about this post moved someone to flag it? #harsh
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I view them very much the same way I view vitamins. I'm not sure if they help or not, but they are easy insurance. And considering how hard I'm working on the other stuff, if there is something easy to do that might help, I'll probably do it.

It also gives me a little bit of leeway should I be lax on my protein intake.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Summary of BCAA with links to relevant studies

https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/

"BCAA supplementation, for people with low dietary protein intake, can promote muscle protein synthesis and increase muscle growth over time. It can also be used to prevent fatigue in novice athletes."

emphasis - mine
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    From the examine link above: "Supplementing BCAAs prevents a serum decline in BCAAs, which occurs during exercise. A serum decline would normally cause a tryptophan influx into the brain, followed by serotonin production, which causes fatigue. " That means BCAA's may prevent workout fatigue.

"BCAAs are important to ingest on a daily basis, but many protein sources, such as meat and eggs, already provide BCAAS. Supplementation is unnecessary for people with a sufficiently high protein intake (1-1.5g/kg a day or more)."

That math means that I, at 183.2 lb today, get sufficient BCAA from my food if my protein is above 83 g on my food diary. Today it's over 140.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    ^^Yep. And, if you look at the studies they link on exercise fatigue - they were working with untrained individuals. I mention this because some people may interpret the "novice athletes" term they use as someone much more advanced than an untrained individual.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Having said all that...

I think my last batch of BCAA was about £10 and lasted me over 6 months so, if that level of cost is not a concern and since the downsides are minute, taking them is not a problem.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    From the examine link above: "Supplementing BCAAs prevents a serum decline in BCAAs, which occurs during exercise. A serum decline would normally cause a tryptophan influx into the brain, followed by serotonin production, which causes fatigue. " That means BCAA's may prevent workout fatigue.

"BCAAs are important to ingest on a daily basis, but many protein sources, such as meat and eggs, already provide BCAAS. Supplementation is unnecessary for people with a sufficiently high protein intake (1-1.5g/kg a day or more)."

That math means that I, at 183.2 lb today, get sufficient BCAA from my food if my protein is above 83 g on my food diary. Today it's over 140.

I keep finding conflicting information on protein levels. Do you know what this equates to per pound? I keep seeing people posting 1-1.5 per POUND, when I believe it is actually per KG, as your post states.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »

I keep finding conflicting information on protein levels. Do you know what this equates to per pound? I keep seeing people posting 1-1.5 per POUND, when I believe it is actually per KG, as your post states.

You will see a massive variation in this topic. The WHO guidance (and government health bodies) is (IIRC) per lb but there are studies which, although not incorporated into the official guidance, recommend more for trainees, and more still for the elderly. Finally, because the downside for healthy individuals is negligible (except for cost), many people default (and recommend) higher amounts.

Protein intake is one of the MFP trigger topics which often ends up in an argument.