What is your resting heart rate ?

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    62 Low

73 high- This corresponds with the day after drinking alcohol and this is a pattern I've noticed for years not just a one off.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A little derail, but how do you figure out your resting and max heart rate? I looked it up once, but I couldn't find my pulse. I have a chest HRM strap, no continual monitor. I like to use my heart rate for my runs, but the default Garmin zones seem low. Would I just throw on my strap first thing in the AM and start a fake activity to get my resting? How about max? I seem to hit my guestimated max HR during most runs. Does that seem right?
    @jennybearlv
    No that won't be your absolute maximum - you have to push to an extreme level, not a routine level.
    A ramp test for example where the speed increases steadily until you finally go anaerobic at the point of complete exhaustion.

It's not something to undertake lightly!
    I did mine as part of a VO2 max test in a sports science lab, took 3 days to recover including suffering from exercise induced asthma.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A little derail, but how do you figure out your resting and max heart rate? I looked it up once, but I couldn't find my pulse. I have a chest HRM strap, no continual monitor. I like to use my heart rate for my runs, but the default Garmin zones seem low. Would I just throw on my strap first thing in the AM and start a fake activity to get my resting? How about max? I seem to hit my guestimated max HR during most runs. Does that seem right?
    @jennybearlv
    No that won't be your absolute maximum - you have to push to an extreme level, not a routine level.
    A ramp test for example where the speed increases steadily until you finally go anaerobic at the point of complete exhaustion.

I did mine as part of a VO2 max test in a sports science lab, took 3 days to recover including suffering from exercise induced asthma.

Yeah, didn't think so. Good to know there is a really unpleasant test to find out though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Usually somewhere around 55.
  • n622921
    n622921 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Only had mine a week, 53-59 bpm
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Mid 50's, down from mid 70's a little over a year ago. And 50 pounds lighter. I'm sure my heart loves that!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    59 generally.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    So far this month a low of 42 and a high of 57 for RHR.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

I use my highest observed lately as my max. To find it on a bike, you can ride down a gentle great in your easiest gear and spin as fast as you can without resistance. It sounds easy but it's not.

You can record an activity overnight with your chest strap. Delete it later, or just edit the calories to zero.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Mid 40s. I've been as low as 38.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just want to say a huge Thank You to all that responded !
    Your numbers relative to mine are quite insightful and should help inspire me to alter my course to make better food choices and to exercise more regularly !
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    My RHR is usually 49 on average. I don't think that is bad as I am 66 years old. It used to worry me a bit but I was checked out by the doctor who said I was fine and to carry on doing what I am doing.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Mid 40s. I've been as low as 38.

Me too, 38 is also the lowest I've seen on me. Sitting around also around mid 40's, if I am driving for instance I go up to 50. It means I often get dizzy when I stand up too quickly. When I exercise hard I go up to about 165.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    arv51862 wrote: »
    I just want to say a huge Thank You to all that responded !
    Your numbers relative to mine are quite insightful and should help inspire me to alter my course to make better food choices and to exercise more regularly !

Certainly food choices are important for overall health, but focusing on resting heart rate your cardiovascular fitness (with some genetics thrown in) is where you will improve that number most.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @jennybearlv

Just to put an exclamation point on this response, I did my own max HR test on a treadmill and I too was wiped out for three or four days. I will never do it again, the number just isn't that important and mine was right where all the online charts put it without me almost killing myself. Unless you are training for an elite event I just don't see the need for the test, not for the average Joe or Jane.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    i don't have a HRM, but I'm at 96 BPM just sitting here doing nothing.....It's bad, I know.

96 is within the normal range. It's near the high end but still normal.
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mine has been as low as 61 and as high as 67 according to my fitbit blaze