No meat to lose weight?

Options
Should I stop eating meat like those high carb low fat diet plan that I read before or just cut up some colories and stick with my meal plan. I'm eating rice everyday with more veggies and just a little of meat and sugar.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Your body needs protein. Low fat diets are usually high carb and high protein (lean protein like chicken, fish and egg whites).

If you want to skip meat, you will need to find other sources of protein to consume and make sure you get enough so you don't suffer protein deficiency.

You don't have to go low fat or low carb to lose weight. Obviously it's an option, but the goal with all these "diets" is to get your calories in lower than your calories out. You need to decided what will be the most sustainable route for you. Make a plan for how you want to eat for your goal weight, because just "dieting" to lose the weight and then going back to old habits will result in gaining weight back.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is not necessary for weight loss to cut meat- or any food- from your diet just have a calorie deficit.
    If you do stop eating meat make sure you get enough protein from other sources.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ideally you should stick to a diet you can do within your own comfort zone and expand your horizon from there. A drastic change is less likely to stick in the long term.

I have been vegan for 8 years and initially lost some weight without trying, in the region of 15 lbs (from 130 to 115). Nowadays I am about 120 lbs and eat a high-protein fermented soya product called tempeh to keep me full for a long time and not craving other food. This works for me, but it may not work for you.

HCLF works for some people. There is no single way to lose weight; at the end of the day, you need to consume less than you use, however that looks for you!
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally eat, just eat less of it. Drastic diet plans are unnecessary unless there is a medical need (like diabetes or celiac disease).
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for a while. I mostly did it to support my roommate who went vegetarian, but there was a moral component to it as well.

Ended up gaining weight.... Haha.

Now I eat meat, but I try not to have it be boneless, skinless etc. I eat meat off the bone and with the skin. I even save the bones and then make bone stock with them! Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

I think that's how meat was intended to be consumed.

That was more of an answer than you asked for... but I'm very satisfied with this process.

I also gained weight as a vegetarian and even more as a low carb vegetarian.

Calorie deficit for weightloss. How you create a calorie deficit is your choice but make it sustainable and get enough protein. Protein is important to maintain or reduce the lose of muscle.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have followed vegetarian and vegan each for 3 months at a time and all I lost was hair and energy (prob due to low protein). You still need to track the calories you're eating...there's no magical vegan foods that don't count in your caloric intake...as much as I was hoping that to be the case;)
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hmm, protein is your friend.
    If you don't want to eat meat for whatever reason some good substitutes would be egg whites, and perhaps tofu?

Good choice with the veggies -- fiberous one like broccoli will help you feel full.

Good luck!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    djgf6iapfy0s.jpg

This is what my world would look like if i didn't just eat at a deficit and enjoy everything

Now I'm depressed. Time to go eat those cookies I saved room for :)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, Are they chocolate chip?

Mmm gluten free girl scout toffee cookies. I didn't even know they had gf until someone gifted me with three boxes this year. I've been hoarding them :)
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Been meatless myself and listened to that hclf *kitten*. Trust me eat more protein and more fat, not neceserraly coming from an animal, for more satiety. Just find what works for you, and cut back on pasta and rice. It's not that "magical" food that you can eat a lot of and hope to loose.