No need to eat 'clean'?

Options

Replies

• andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    i hate the phrase clean eating and it really boils down to goals. If you are training hard and going hard in the gym 6 days a week minimal rest and looking to get shredded with maximum vascularity than no it is not recommended to eat *kitten* foods except on days you want to look "fuller" and more "pump" from the sugar and carbs. Other than that your body will of course burn fat if in a deficit but muscle is going to go to and again, depending on your goals, won't have a rock solid look like most want.

Most think If it fits your macros etc but the truth is noone who is FIT and maintains year round eats "junk" IE candy bar for breakfast, mcdonalds for lunch ETC it is just not 1) good for your body and health in the long run due to plaque build up in arteries from certain foods, of course high blood sugar, risk of diabetes depending on genetics, thus why people PREP their food so they know what they are consuming. Yes twinkie guy has lost weight but is he ripped, does he look amazing? Hell no lol. Again it all boils down to goals if you just are strictly worried about a number on a scale and how the clothes fit than do it but if your looking to get a rock solid core and muscles that pop and strong round glutes than no a poop diet won't work, if it did all athletes would endorse it lol.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    i hate the phrase clean eating and it really boils down to goals. If you are training hard and going hard in the gym 6 days a week minimal rest and looking to get shredded with maximum vascularity than no it is not recommended to eat *kitten* foods except on days you want to look "fuller" and more "pump" from the sugar and carbs. Other than that your body will of course burn fat if in a deficit but muscle is going to go to and again, depending on your goals, won't have a rock solid look like most want.

Most think If it fits your macros etc but the truth is noone who is FIT and maintains year round eats "junk" IE candy bar for breakfast, mcdonalds for lunch ETC it is just not 1) good for your body and health in the long run due to plaque build up in arteries from certain foods, of course high blood sugar, risk of diabetes depending on genetics, thus why people PREP their food so they know what they are consuming. Yes twinkie guy has lost weight but is he ripped, does he look amazing? Hell no lol. Again it all boils down to goals if you just are strictly worried about a number on a scale and how the clothes fit than do it but if your looking to get a rock solid core and muscles that pop and strong round glutes than no a poop diet won't work, if it did all athletes would endorse it lol.

I thought "prepping" was making large batches of food to last a week (or so). What does that have to do with knowing what's in it? I thought that was just called cooking.
  • andrewq6100
    Options

I thought "prepping" was making large batches of food to last a week (or so). What does that have to do with knowing what's in it? I thought that was just called cooking.

from what i've been told by a few competitors yes of course prepping is pre-making your food ahead of time but they can also ensure that the foods they are getting are of a certain sodium amount,the exact carb ratio ie the food scale comes into play. but what I meant by prep is they plan their meals ahead according to their weight loss goals and intakes per certain days / training regimes. Rather than going in blind unless you plan on whipping out MFP everytime your in the mc donalds drive thru to make sure what your ordering fits your goals etc for that day and hey i'm sure some people do lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    the truth is noone who is FIT and maintains year round eats "junk" IE candy bar for breakfast, mcdonalds for lunch ETC it is just not 1) good for your body and health in the long run due to plaque build up in arteries from certain foods, of course high blood sugar, risk of diabetes depending on genetics

In addition to what Paula said, I find this confusing. Are you equating "eating junk" -- which I think for most means eating occasionally some foods that some would consider "junk food" -- with eating a nutritionally-poor diet?

I would agree that it's hard to look your best and achieve fitness goals eating a nutritionally-poor diet, and it also would make sticking to one's calories harder (another reason why people typically choose not to do it). I would not agree that you can't look your best occasionally eating so called junk or even doing so regularly within the context of a nutritionally sound diet. I also see lots of people who look good and are extremely fit doing so with a diet that includes foods that they enjoy that happen to be not that nutrient dense as well as (of course) other foods that make up a balanced diet that has sufficient protein, healthy fats, lots of micronutrient-rich foods, etc.

Sometimes I think there's a weird all or nothing attitude among some at MFP (although maybe this is not what you meant to say): that if you eat ANY sweets or other foods that are stereotyped as not healthy* you must be ONLY eating such foods.

*(Also, sometimes it's confusing why that is -- a burger (which I make at home with lean beef) or pizza can be easy to fit within a balanced, nutrient dense diet and contribute protein and, in the case of the pizza, foods like vegetables and olive oil that no one would have an issue with if connected with another name.)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

from what i've been told by a few competitors yes of course prepping is pre-making your food ahead of time but they can also ensure that the foods they are getting are of a certain sodium amount,the exact carb ratio ie the food scale comes into play. but what I meant by prep is they plan their meals ahead according to their weight loss goals and intakes per certain days / training regimes. Rather than going in blind unless you plan on whipping out MFP everytime your in the mc donalds drive thru to make sure what your ordering fits your goals etc for that day and hey i'm sure some people do lol.

I don't whip out mfp in the drive thru. I plan my meals ahead of time, making sure they fit my calorie and protein goals. Always. Except for special occasions. I don't prep. I do eat a buttload of salmon and veg which I cook daily.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Rather than going in blind unless you plan on whipping out MFP everytime your in the mc donalds drive thru to make sure what your ordering fits your goals etc for that day and hey i'm sure some people do lol.

Why would I NOT whip out my phone and check out the items I am about to order at McDonald's before ordering so as to confirm that they will fit my day?

The wi-fi is free and not too shabby performance wise.
    Their app lists the calories for each item.
    MFP has my nutritional summary for the day in the app...
    I am confused as to why I would order blindly?

Unless of course I am ordering one of my (multiple) "go to" items whose calories and macros I more or less already know... but I am assuming from the need to check that you describe that I would be considering an "un-usual", for me, item!

So I am pretty sure I would check and waive people ahead if I am taking too long!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    I'm not eating junk food constantly it was an example, would i lose IF. Sorry for any confusion!

I'm always curious why people propose an extreme hypothetical scenario, such as eating nothing but junk food, then when respondents challenge them on it, people say "oh well that's not what I meant I was just using it as an example".

Wouldn't you think you would get more helpful advice if you just asked the question you are wondering about directly, with actual specific, relevant information about your own situation - then to throw out a contentious buzz word like "clean eating" (which doesn't appear to have anything to do with the rest of your post), a ridiculous straw man example, and then answering your own question by saying "actually maybe it's the sodium"?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

I love this thread, you should read it and tell us what you think?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1
  • andrewq6100
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    the truth is noone who is FIT and maintains year round eats "junk" IE candy bar for breakfast, mcdonalds for lunch ETC it is just not 1) good for your body and health in the long run due to plaque build up in arteries from certain foods, of course high blood sugar, risk of diabetes depending on genetics

In addition to what Paula said, I find this confusing. Are you equating "eating junk" -- which I think for most means eating occasionally some foods that some would consider "junk food" -- with eating a nutritionally-poor diet?

I would agree that it's hard to look your best and achieve fitness goals eating a nutritionally-poor diet, and it also would make sticking to one's calories harder (another reason why people typically choose not to do it). I would not agree that you can't look your best occasionally eating so called junk or even doing so regularly within the context of a nutritionally sound diet. I also see lots of people who look good and are extremely fit doing so with a diet that includes foods that they enjoy that happen to be not that nutrient dense as well as (of course) other foods that make up a balanced diet that has sufficient protein, healthy fats, lots of micronutrient-rich foods, etc.

Sometimes I think there's a weird all or nothing attitude among some at MFP (although maybe this is not what you meant to say): that if you eat ANY sweets or other foods that are stereotyped as not healthy* you must be ONLY eating such foods.

*(Also, sometimes it's confusing why that is -- a burger (which I make at home with lean beef) or pizza can be easy to fit within a balanced, nutrient dense diet and contribute protein and, in the case of the pizza, foods like vegetables and olive oil that no one would have an issue with if connected with another name.)

exactly I don't disagree you can have your occasional cheat snack or even weekly cheat meals I was basing it off the fact of people eating "twinkie" diets etc
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Is the only alternative to eating clean eating junk food? Nothing against junk, but I prepare home cooked meals without eating "clean". I use things like canned tomatoes and beans and some convenience ingredients but I'm pretty sure it's not junk.
    According to "clean" eaters, it's "dirty" food. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• andrewq6100
    Options

I love this thread, you should read it and tell us what you think?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

and see this is awesome and it does prove a point that no matter if you are in a deficit you will loose weight but alas not everyone has the same body genetics as this guy. It all comes down to a matter of preference and of course goals. This guy trains harder than most on MFP combined and he knows his stuff from ratios to tracking I mean he was in a deficit for over 30 days consistently, theres a big difference between him, and the regular "i just wanna loose weight but don't exercise more than 30 mins" type of person.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If you're eating food that's high in sodium that could also be a part of the culprit. However, you are right you can eat food that is a bit higher in sugar, or just eat snack products for your meals and still lose weight. This will work as longer as you're in deficit, but eating sodium laden foods won't be helping you with your weight loss. I tend to either gain weight or stay at the same weight when I consume a lot of sodium.
    Also I've read posts about people gaining weight from using birth control; however, read the side effects to see if it's listed.

I can totally appreciate your stance and your comment, however, unfortunately all calories are not created equal :(
    Yes they are. Just like a foot is foot, a liter is a liter and mile is mile. You don't change measurements of something just because you disagree.
    Case in point, calories that are highly concentrated in sodium will prevent you from losing weight.
    Water weight. Not the same as FAT WEIGHT.
    Similarly, products high in sugar make it hard for your body to burn fat.
    Untrue. If one isn't burning fat, it's because they aren't in calorie deficit. Do you even know when the most fat from storage is burned?
    Although most people will say CICO is the only thing that matters unfortunately it is simply not the full story.
    CICO is the equation for weight loss/gain/maintenance. The RATE at how someone achieves any is different due to things like hormones, health issues, activity, etc.
    Not all calories are eliminated/burned the same. Highly processed food get stored as fat more easily, whereas healthy food (fruits- which has natural sugar sources, vegetables, lean protein, eggs, nuts) your body is able to recognize and process alot faster.
    No. The body DOESN'T distinguish what you ate due to how it was packaged, bought washed, etc. It breaks ANYTHING down to it's simplest form and then just absorbs it.
    Unfortunately your knowledge in nutrition and physiology is limited and likely you're just echoing what you've read or heard at a gym. I'll be the first to tell you that the fitness/diet industry will tell you all sorts of BS to sell you programs and products to profit better.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you're eating food that's high in sodium that could also be a part of the culprit. However, you are right you can eat food that is a bit higher in sugar, or just eat snack products for your meals and still lose weight. This will work as longer as you're in deficit, but eating sodium laden foods won't be helping you with your weight loss. I tend to either gain weight or stay at the same weight when I consume a lot of sodium.
    Also I've read posts about people gaining weight from using birth control; however, read the side effects to see if it's listed.

I can totally appreciate your stance and your comment, however, unfortunately all calories are not created equal :( Case in point, calories that are highly concentrated in sodium will prevent you from losing weight. Similarly, products high in sugar make it hard for your body to burn fat. Although most people will say CICO is the only thing that matters unfortunately it is simply not the full story. Not all calories are eliminated/burned the same. Highly processed food get stored as fat more easily, whereas healthy food (fruits- which has natural sugar sources, vegetables, lean protein, eggs, nuts) your body is able to recognize and process alot faster.

All 100% incorrect. I don't even know where to begin because that information is errant from start to finish, but the main fact which covers most of it is that there is no net storage of fat when in a caloric deficit. Period.

So one can eat a diet extremely high in sodium, stay within their calorie count and still lose weight. I respectfully disagree. Unfortunately, you will have an extremely hard time losing... 100% fact.
    Disagree all you want. It's been done by a professor to prove it to students. You can go to a penitentiary where the inmates are on a 3 meal portioned plan with the LOWEST QUALITY of food available and they not only do not have an obesity issue in prison, but a lot of them are jacked and ripped up. Also go to Asia, where just about everything IS high sodium. People still lose weight there.
    Also, if you're going to state a fact, be sure to have literature from peer reviewed studies to back it up...........or you're just talking OPINION, which isn't fact. So please link evidence to prove your fact.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I can totally appreciate your stance and your comment, however, unfortunately all calories are not created equal :( Case in point, calories that are highly concentrated in sodium will prevent you from losing weight. Similarly, products high in sugar make it hard for your body to burn fat. Although most people will say CICO is the only thing that matters unfortunately it is simply not the full story. Not all calories are eliminated/burned the same. Highly processed food get stored as fat more easily, whereas healthy food (fruits- which has natural sugar sources, vegetables, lean protein, eggs, nuts) your body is able to recognize and process alot faster.

All 100% incorrect. I don't even know where to begin because that information is errant from start to finish, but the main fact which covers most of it is that there is no net storage of fat when in a caloric deficit. Period.

So one can eat a diet extremely high in sodium, stay within their calorie count and still lose weight. I respectfully disagree. Unfortunately, you will have an extremely hard time losing... 100% fact.

100% nonsense. Bloating from sodium or any other source can temporarily prevent weight loss. But it will not prevent FAT loss at all. It's just temporary water weight.

100% agreed, however, if your diet consistently consists of high sodium diet you will not be able to see your diet efforts working because you will be in a perpetual water retention state which is not optimal for the body and not condusive to seeing results.
    Lol, again tell that to the Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese etc who all have fish sauce or soy sauce in just about every meal.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

I appreciate your comments. How does the sodium content stabalize when you continue to consume salt?

The WATER content stabilizes.

How?

Peeing. (and sweating). Etc.

I appreciate your reply, but if you are in the category where you are consuming WELL ABOVE the recommended requirements the salt won't get eliminated as it should based on the typical water consumption and the amount of sweat that gets eliminated from the body.
    Really? I consume well above the minimum at about 4,000mgs a day. Somehow I shouldn't have lost ANY WEIGHT.
    Please, all you're doing is confusing people who are actually trying to learn CORRECTLY. Again, post your actual evidence to back your statements or it's just all opinion.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Large changes in your daily sodium consumption will cause large short term fluctuations in your weight. That has no effect at all on the energy balance in your body. Consistent levels of daily sodium consumption reduce the apparent influence of sodium on short term fluctuations in your weight. That also has no effect at all on the energy balance in your body. Consistently low levels of daily sodium consumption eventually lead to a condition known as hyponatremia, in which the body simply doesn't have enough available sodium to function properly.

The energy balance in your body causes long term changes in your weight. This is affected by the energy you consume as food compared to the energy you expend. The simplified expression of it is CI-CO. "C" represents Calories. "I" represents In. "O" represents Out. If Calories In is greater than Calories Out consistently, you will consistently gain weight. If Calories In is less than Calories Out consistently, you will consistently lose weight.

Sugar, in all it's forms, and fat is a complex form of sugar, has molecules comprised of hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon. Protein includes Nitrogen with those 3. Salt has molecules comprised of Sodium and Chlorine. Your energy is derived from the digestion of carbs, which become sugars, fats, and protein.

The elemental components of salt are not involved in your body's energy balance.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Large changes in your daily sodium consumption will cause large short term fluctuations in your weight.

^^This. Water weight DOESN'T MATTER. When I had my gall bladder out some years ago while on vacation, it was several days before they could take it out because I was on blood thinners. I was on two IVs 24 hours a day, one of them being vitamin K to get my clotting factor out.

When I left the hospital, I couldn't fit in my pants. I had put on 20 pounds in five days. They had to get huge pajamas out of the lost and found so I'd have something to wear out of the hospital. My GP said the water would gradually go away -- and that since it was interstitial instead of in the cells, nothing would get rid of it except time.

Which is what happened. Fastest 20 pounds I've ever lost. But it had absolutely nothing to do with my body fat, or my "real" weight. Neither does the weight "gain" after consuming extra sodium that some of the posters here seem to worry about.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

exactly I don't disagree you can have your occasional cheat snack or even weekly cheat meals I was basing it off the fact of people eating "twinkie" diets etc

Other than one professor who ate the Twinkie diet to prove a point, who's eating a diet like that?

No one here even advocates that. It is used to prove that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a deficit, but no one suggest to eat that way.

Eating an overall balanced nutritious diet leaves room for occasional sweets or "junk" without stalling weight loss as long as the person is in a deficit.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Other than one professor who ate the Twinkie diet to prove a point, who's eating a diet like that?

No one here even advocates that. It is used to prove that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a deficit, but no one suggest to eat that way.

Eating an overall balanced nutritious diet leaves room for occasional sweets or "junk" without stalling weight loss as long as the person is in a deficit.

^^^^ This. Plus...

"Junk food" is such a nebulous word, it means whatever you want it to mean in the context of your way of eating. I see junk vs healthy foods on a sliding scale of nutrients per calorie, with sugar (at 0 nutrients no matter how many calories) as the absolute bottom of the scale, and lower-calorie, more nutrient-dense food toward the higher end. I just don't see an arbitrary line where food suddenly goes from being acceptable to junk.

I like @lemurcat12's burger example. When she makes it at home she has control of the quality of the meat, the seasoning, the sodium, the size, etc. She controls the nutrient density so that it fits her calorie and nutrition goals. I don't think many people would consider that junk food. If I get a fast food burger it will almost certainly be higher in fat and sodium and more calories for the same nutrients (assuming the same amount of protein for each). A lot of people would classify the fast-food burger as junk food, but if I'm getting the same nutrients and have the extra calories to spend, I don't see how this would affect my ability to lose weight or maintain my health, even if I did this on a regular basis.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is why I think it's confusing when people say things like "you can't eat junk and lose weight." I think "well of course I can eat some ice cream and lose weight" and write them off. It would be less confusing if you'd just say that nutritional quality of diet matters for health and appearance, but of course one can get a nutritionally sound diet and still include some junk food.

(I don't find the concept of "cheating" useful -- if I have a nutritionally sound day and plan for the calories in my day or week, I wouldn't consider a dinner at Pequod's, my favorite Chicago-style pizza place, to be a cheat.)

I agree that a Twinkie diet isn't a good idea and don't think anyone is recommending them. The fact people have lost weight on them is a good tool for illustrating that you don't automatically not lose if you eat a cookie, regardless of calories, as a surprisingly high # of people seem to think -- and perhaps as this thread illustrates.