Partner wants you to lose weight.

Options
So I am lucky enough to be dating a wonderful person. She loves me and I love her and we are on the whole, happy.

We have been together for almost 2 years and within the first few months of us getting together (we were friends for 3 years beforehand) I lost my father to a stroke, a month later I almost lost my mum to a heart attack.

I am slightly overweight and could do with losing some pounds. My eating habits are generally poor and I do desperately want to make changes. My dad was a smoker and overweight/drinker. My mum was (gave up after the heart attack) a smoker. Since this has happened my partner was concerned for my health and has stated that she wants me to lose weight and generally be more healthy and take care of myself.

I am not upset that she has said it. It is fair. I want to be healthy for her and my future family but I just struggle with it and I am upset that my lifestyle has resulted in my partner having to say anything at all.

She herself is a good weight and generally keeps active although her diet can poor at times. It is something we both acknowledge that we need to work on.

I love her so much and losing her is not what I want (she has not stated she will leave by the way) but I just can't motivate myself to make changes. I am more than welcoming of any comments and suggestions as I know how pathetic this sounds.

Thanks!

Replies

• squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Firstly, I am really sorry to hear about your parents. It must have been a difficult time for you.

Secondly, just do something right now that you know you can. Literally any positive step no matter how small. Action begets action and you can work the details out as you go.

Thank you. I was with Slimming World but I just couldn't sustain it so I am looking at calorie counting.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Life is full of choices. You have to choose whether you care enough about yourself and her to make this change. If you choose not to take care of yourself, she will have to choose whether to stay and worry about your health declining. It is very hard to watch someone you love destroy their health through unhealthy habits.

Hopefully you love yourself enough to make at least small changes. Small changes in diet and activity can have a big impact. But if not, then your choice has been made and the choice becomes hers.

Thanks for your reply. You are so right. I just need to get on and do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you thought about why you cant make the changes to be healthy...? whats stopping you from making the necessary changes? fear of failure is very common, as is feeling like you don't deserve to be healthier and happier.

considering some of this might help make it all stick.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So I am lucky enough to be dating a wonderful person. She loves me and I love her and we are on the whole, happy.

We have been together for almost 2 years and within the first few months of us getting together (we were friends for 3 years beforehand) I lost my father to a stroke, a month later I almost lost my mum to a heart attack.

I am slightly overweight and could do with losing some pounds. My eating habits are generally poor and I do desperately want to make changes. My dad was a smoker and overweight/drinker. My mum was (gave up after the heart attack) a smoker. Since this has happened my partner was concerned for my health and has stated that she wants me to lose weight and generally be more healthy and take care of myself.

I am not upset that she has said it. It is fair. I want to be healthy for her and my future family but I just struggle with it and I am upset that my lifestyle has resulted in my partner having to say anything at all.

She herself is a good weight and generally keeps active although her diet can poor at times. It is something we both acknowledge that we need to work on.

I love her so much and losing her is not what I want (she has not stated she will leave by the way) but I just can't motivate myself to make changes. I am more than welcoming of any comments and suggestions as I know how pathetic this sounds.

Thanks!

Check this video out . He's really inspiring and honest about weight loss. I believe he's lost 180 pounds :)

https://youtu.be/vNNBkWgMggs

You can do this!
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think seeing a therapist is a good idea. Losing a parent can be devastating, and talking through your feelings may help unblock some of the mental barriers you are putting up. And as everyone said, take baby steps. Make one positive change, stick with it, add another once the first becomes easier. You can do this! Best of luck with everything!
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rdevol wrote: »
    I think seeing a therapist is a good idea. Losing a parent can be devastating, and talking through your feelings may help unblock some of the mental barriers you are putting up. !

This! When my health nut Mom got cancer at age 54 and died at 56. I straight gave up, if all her nutritious eating and regular fitness got her nothing then I might as well smoke, eat, and do other unhealthy things I won't mention here as I wish.
    But I eventually realized that none of us live forever the health and fitness thing is more about making sure your are driving around the nicest looking, pain free body available to you while you are alive. I see you are younger but take it from me past 30: knees, back, everything starts to hurt... diet and exercise can make all that go away.
    Wellbutrin helped me a lot as well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mayafit405 wrote: »

Thanks!

Check this video out . He's really inspiring and honest about weight loss. I believe he's lost 180 pounds :)

https://youtu.be/vNNBkWgMggs

You can do this!

I love this lad, he is a little gem. A great inspiration to so many :heart:

OP, one step at a time, you can do this. You're not alone here, the majority of us were overwhelmed in the beginning. Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions you have here on the boards, no matter how trivial you may think they are. Once you find your groove, this whole weight loss thing will become like second nature.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Love yourself more than the food
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If you don't respect yourself enough to want to be healthy, I don't see how you can expect your partner to respect you.

Replace "food/lifestyle" with "drugs" or "alcohol" and consider how it would sound. Just because food is considered a societally acceptable addiction doesn't make it any better. "I really want to quit drinking and smoking weed, but I just can't find the motivation. My partner is worried about my health but I just can't stop drinking and smoking, no matter what she says. "

Sounds pretty pathetic. You need to start taking a moment before you put something in your mouth and asking "is this more important than my health, my self-respect, and my partner?"

Stop giving yourself permission to make excuses and fix your life.
  • tgcake
    tgcake Posts: 59 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss, and I am glad you are making plans to see a therapist. That's definitely a positive step since your mental health is equally important.

I can empathise with you. My health is poor, and my partner wants me to be healthier so that we can have a good, long life together. I've known this for at least five years but it was only this year that something in me was ready to make that change. And so I have. As stated above, you need to find a way to make yourself ready.

Something to keep in mind is that your current behaviours have been around for years. They're well set, and familiar. They're not going to change overnight. It's going to take time to change, and make new, healthier habits. Don't be hard on yourself if you don't do it. Every day is a new day, and a new chance. So forget missing tomorrow, or missing the past week, or whatever, and start again.

I started with exercise. How about taking short walks with your partner? It doesn't have to be every day. It doesn't have to be long. Just start somewhere. Once you make that a habit, increase the frequency or the length (I'd go for frequency first). Go slowly because change is difficult, and changing too much at once tends to be a recipe for failure. Even if you feel you can do more at once, don't. You want to keep things consistent, and not overdo it one day, and be unable to the next. Set a realistic goal, stick to that, and increase it once a week, once every two weeks, once a month, etc. Whatever works for you but I'd give each goal at least a week.

For food, maybe start with smaller portions or cooking together. Identify your problem areas, and work on that. Mine were mindless snacking, and large portions. Just cutting out mindless snacking - I still snack but I am mindful of it - made a difference.

You're both in this. You want to change, and she wants you to change, so do it together.