Does any one else sabotage themselves ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I have no problem staying on track with food, but I'm not good in other areas like exercise.
  • V_Faery
    V_Faery Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that doesn't cope well with the pressure of maintaining a healthy lifestyle / food choices? I do well to start with go to the gym eat clean as soon as people start noticing changes (I've lost 28lbs so far am happier healthier feel better am not in constant pain ). Loads of positives .... but me succeeding seems to switch something in my brain and I wana binge on junk I don't even like for no decernabke reason which makes me feel ill and then I feel like I've let myself down .... I feel like I'm constantly battling the crazy monster inside ( think Cookie Monster crossed with grouch ) with the rational sensible person inside too that knows what I'm doing is nurotic but I don't know how to change it? Any suggestions? Or am I the only one ? (I guess if I am I have my crazy monster inside to keep me company and chow down on cookies and junk lol) Thanks for reading / replying .... have only posted once before so be gentle with me pleases and thankyous

Wow! I thought it was only me, every time I am within steps of my goal something always switches into comfortable mode and I gain it all back plus some. It's like I'm scared of making it to the finish line and actually succeeding. Glad to know its not only me. Though this time I promise myself to get there.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss is more about what goes on in your mind than what goes on in your body.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I think weight loss is more about what goes on in your mind than what goes on in your body.

AGREED! Many people don't see the underlying issues in their mind because they don't know they have the problem whether it be the all or nothing perfection mentality. I think it all stems from there.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Everyone self sabotages... Nobodies perfect...

But thankfully, you don't have to be perfect, just pretty damn good!
  • amandamc119
    amandamc119 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep!! Been doing group training this morning at the gym, then I go and do my food shop for the week and buy Ben and Jerry's ice cream because it's on offer!!! :'-(
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this on and off for over a year. I'd have reached my goal 6 months ago if I'd stuck to it! That sucks but I look at progress pics and realize I'm still 32 pounds lighter no matter what! As long as I continue to maintain, when I go through these moments, I can always pick back up, drop another 5 to 10 and then take another break. Not to say I don't have weeks where I feel like a total failure but weight loss should be viewed as a long term thing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I sabotage myself because I LOVE baking but somehow always end up eating half the stuff I make. Really rough to reconcile the only thing I really like doing with losing weight :(

But no.. I won't binge on things I don't like.

Do people ever binge on stuff they hate the taste of, though? Not only would I never gorge myself on things I don't like, I would never eat them, period, binge or not. :)

I used to massively overeat stuff I don't love all that much, in mindless-shoveling-food-into-my-mouth mode. It was there, it was salty (or whatever) and I ate it. Binge? I'm always unclear exactly what that means. Not things I hated, though - just things I didn't love enough to be worth sacrificing my future self for.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for a quick fix. Stop cutting out entire foods. Practice eating the things you want but measure it and fit it into your calories.

If I want a donut, I'm going to have one. I won't have six, but I'll plan for one that I can enjoy guilt-free.

Restrictive diets don't last for me. Learning to control my portions did. If I really feel like I want to eat extra on athe certain day I will eat at maintenance. I no longer allow myself to feel guilty over food choices. It has taken away the feeling that a binge is a treat because once I record it I see that all I've done is make the whole week of hard work mean nothing.
  • Deltamichelle
    Deltamichelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I sabotage myself because I LOVE baking but somehow always end up eating half the stuff I make. Really rough to reconcile the only thing I really like doing with losing weight :(

Do people ever binge on stuff they hate the taste of, though? Not only would I never gorge myself on things I don't like, I would never eat them, period, binge or not. :)

I used to massively overeat stuff I don't love all that much, in mindless-shoveling-food-into-my-mouth mode. It was there, it was salty (or whatever) and I ate it. Binge? I'm always unclear exactly what that means. Not things I hated, though - just things I didn't love enough to be worth sacrificing my future self for.

But no.. I won't binge on things I don't like.[/quote]

I don't eat stuff I hate .... it's just things I don't love enough .... thanks for understanding :)
    For me binging is just eating whatever when I don't need to eat I'm not hungry and the food is empty calories or processed junk. ( it's like shooting yourself in the foot and then thinking after that it's gonna somewhat cripple your progress of moving forward).

• Deltamichelle
    Options
    I have been thinking a lot about my original post have read all your responses and have spoken in pm's to other members. I am happy I'm not alone in being a bit crazy
  • SoyD986
    SoyD986 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    *raises hand! Me, me, me! I'm playing with the same 3lbs for a month now when I could be another 10 down for this same reason. Thanks for the reminder and you are not alone.
  • Deltamichelle
    Options
    I have been thinking a lot about my original post have read all your responses and have spoken in pm's to other members. I am happy I'm not alone in being a bit crazy

I managed to delete the bottom of my post lol whoops
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

I'm sure people with BED eat foods they don't like.
  • 1234newman
    1234newman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I believe that neuroscience has found that the brain is quick to register any weight loss. The brain is only interested in and only recognises losses of weight. Then it intervenes to get you to seek foods to put it back on fast. It also ensures the body makes good use of the calories. That was fine when our ancestors were roaming about and it was feast or famine.

I imagine that effect (brain getting involved to counteract weight loss) would be higher where weight is rapidly being lost. Maybe that is an argument for slower weight loss. Might the body and brain cope better/easier with reduced weight loss?

It helps to not have the calorie dense preferred feast foods in supply where you can get at them. Some here say it is ok to buy and therefore eat them in controlled quantities. Speaking for myself though, I cannot have such foods in the fridge and larder, or they disappear.

I haven't been on the successful path as long as many here and I have had a one day lapse or two. However my lapses are more likely where disappointment and stress are involved, and it was unresolved stress and family problems that caused me to gain weight in the first place.
  • FitnessWeb34
    FitnessWeb34 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I think many of us have the same problem. I struggled with my weight for a very long time and finally was able to get myself eating healthy and exercising thanks to myfitnespal and lost 80 pounds. All it took was my husband ending up in the hospital and the stress made me start going back to the bad habits. Now a year later I am still trying to get back to eating better and exercising. I find myself doing good for about a week and than for some reason I will do bad . But I don't give up and neither should you. I did it once before and I know I can do it again and I will. Try to stay positive and I hope you overcome your obstacles in your weight loss journey.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't eat stuff I hate .... it's just things I don't love enough .... thanks for understanding :)
    For me binging is just eating whatever when I don't need to eat I'm not hungry and the food is empty calories or processed junk. ( it's like shooting yourself in the foot and then thinking after that it's gonna somewhat cripple your progress of moving forward).

[/quote]

Yeah I do that too. Usually it's linked to my hormones or something.
    Something that helps ME is to make my meals satisfying taste-wise. So I make things I really want to eat, whether it's pasta and meatballs or tacos... if I'm happy with my dinner there's a smaller chance I'll feel the need to load up on junk (still happens though). I also never kept a 1000 calorie deficit.

The key for me is not to give up. Some days are easier so I try to keep a bigger deficit on those to make up for the day I'll eat 3000 calories.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that doesn't cope well with the pressure of maintaining a healthy lifestyle / food choices? I do well to start with go to the gym eat clean as soon as people start noticing changes (I've lost 28lbs so far am happier healthier feel better am not in constant pain ). Loads of positives .... but me succeeding seems to switch something in my brain and I wana binge on junk I don't even like for no decernabke reason which makes me feel ill and then I feel like I've let myself down .... I feel like I'm constantly battling the crazy monster inside ( think Cookie Monster crossed with grouch ) with the rational sensible person inside too that knows what I'm doing is nurotic but I don't know how to change it? Any suggestions? Or am I the only one ? (I guess if I am I have my crazy monster inside to keep me company and chow down on cookies and junk lol) Thanks for reading / replying .... have only posted once before so be gentle with me pleases and thankyous
    Your not alone im also suffering from that, i think that diet and healthy eating is for the meantime and you can stop it after your success to weight loss going back too bad old habbits and im so unhappy i gained back weight.

• Debster634
    Debster634 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I totally get you, I can go on a streak of healthy clean eating for about 10 days and then I binge eat all the sugary and naughty food I can find even if I'm not hungry. It's weird how I'm not 'allowing' myself to be happy and healthy, as if my brain is telling me I don't deserve it?? It's strange and I'm working on not letting it happen again (as I've done it twice now in the past 2 week)

I'm with you on this. I self-sabotage all the time and punish myself by eating something loaded with calories. It's as if I'm trying to accomplish something that I don't deserve when I am on a path of exercising and eating right. Thus I'm always "starting over" on a new plan. Yikes.