"How am I gaining weight in a deficit?" or: You're not losing fat because you're eating too much.

Options
Clickbait title, but bear with me. This is a great article at Physiqonomics on why people tend to under-report their calories, and strategies to avoid or minimize the problem: http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/

I see a lot here that folks will run into issues where they think they should be losing but they aren't, and (barring a few short-term issues like water retention) it's usually because they aren't recording their intake as accurately as they think they are. Questions about their logging strategies are often taken as accusations that they are "lying," when really it's an effort to identify and remove as many barriers as possible in order to get the most accurate logging they can with the tools available. As the article states, literally everyone, even a dietitian, is susceptible to misreporting calorie intake.

So in short: You're not in "starvation mode." Look at your logging first.

Replies

• jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    That was a fun read! Thanks for sharing.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just to add, the other component of CICO is the actual CO. Claims of burning 1000 calories in an hour doing something like yoga and logging it as such, can DEFINITELY be a cause of no weight loss.

Yes.

Anytime people claim to eat low calorie and not lose, they should be asked if they are eating or netting the number they're quoting. Many don't know the difference.

This pretty much one of my standard questions. There is a tendency to jump in with all sorts of advice but clarifying the basics should be first port of call.

Really good points, all. Once we get really proficient at something like calorie counting, I think we tend to forget what our "unknown unknowns" were when we first started. I haven't used MFP for net calories in so long, I had completely forgotten that many people use it this way. And you're right, that's another variable that absolutely needs to be looked at!
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This was well worth the read!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    So much truth. Too bad the people that really need it won't believe it.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Maxematics wrote: »
    Yes. It gets really annoying when people post here over and over how they're eating 1000 calories and not losing weight. They claim they're so accurate and even weigh food, then when they're asked to open their diary the truth comes out.

Sadly, I feel like I see women do this more often than men. Even with being quick to blame hypothyroidism, PCOS, carbs, etc. I never found it difficult to lose weight at all because I came equipped with a food scale, a realistic outlook, and a love for being active. Of course the same people attribute my success to my "super" metabolism, the fact that I haven't had kids, or my genes. Such nonsense.

All those things do effect weight-loss though. Do they have as large of an impact on weight-loss as calories in-calories out? Of course not. Just means some people have to be more strict than others. It's not nonsense, it's just used as an excuse for being unsuccessful in place of dietary failures.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to that flowchart infographic to post when people complain they don't know why they aren't losing weight?
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Yes. It gets really annoying when people post here over and over how they're eating 1000 calories and not losing weight. They claim they're so accurate and even weigh food, then when they're asked to open their diary the truth comes out.

Sadly, I feel like I see women do this more often than men. Even with being quick to blame hypothyroidism, PCOS, carbs, etc. I never found it difficult to lose weight at all because I came equipped with a food scale, a realistic outlook, and a love for being active. Of course the same people attribute my success to my "super" metabolism, the fact that I haven't had kids, or my genes. Such nonsense.

I see the same thing. I think some people find the task of paying attention to and logging their food intake is really a lot of effort. If they are going to so much trouble surely it's enough to see results, right? If their measuring and logging isn't completely accurate it couldn't be enough to spoil their weight loss, could it? Yep, it could!