"How am I gaining weight in a deficit?" or: You're not losing fat because you're eating too much.

Options

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just to add, the other component of CICO is the actual CO. Claims of burning 1000 calories in an hour doing something like yoga and logging it as such, can DEFINITELY be a cause of no weight loss.

Yes.

Anytime people claim to eat low calorie and not lose, they should be asked if they are eating or netting the number they're quoting. Many don't know the difference.

I really don't understand what this netting business is all about but it has not stopped me from losing weight.
  • candoitkaren
    candoitkaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem for about one year. I have done Ketogenic Dieting (15grams or less per day of carbs) for 3 months with a three pound loss. Then I joined weight watchers in August and lost 6 pounds. January I started going to the gym M/T/Th/F with 2 days doing HIIT (one hour per class) and 2 days Pilates (one hour per class). I have gained weight nearly every week so my total weight loss is only 3 pounds :( I weigh all my food with a scale and/or measuring cups. Most of what goes into my mouth is nutritious and I don't drink soda, eat fast food or junk food. I drink anywhere from 40-100 ounces of fluid per day. I feel that I have a little definition in my thighs and biceps but my clothing is not any different. I wish someone would help me as I am nearly to the quitting point. Who can afford VO2 testing? I feel like nobody knows what is wrong with me. I also had labs drawn at the recommendation of the head of the Ketogenic group. Anybody have any ideas?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just to add, the other component of CICO is the actual CO. Claims of burning 1000 calories in an hour doing something like yoga and logging it as such, can DEFINITELY be a cause of no weight loss.

Yes.

Anytime people claim to eat low calorie and not lose, they should be asked if they are eating or netting the number they're quoting. Many don't know the difference.

I really don't understand what this netting business is all about but it has not stopped me from losing weight.

Do you mean you don't understand why MFP is set up that way or you don't understand why I'd want to know if the person is eating or netting X calories?

Just in case it is the latter, this is why I would ask:

Person eats 1750 calories
    Person walks 3 miles and logs it as 250 calories
    MFP shows person net 1500 calories

vs

Person eats 2250 calories
    Person walks 3 miles and logs it as 750 calories
    MFP shows person net 1500 calories

The first is more likely to be a reasonable estimate of calories burned during exercise, leading to a reasonably accurate net calorie number for the day. The second is almost certainly an exaggerated calorie burn number, leading the person to think that she hit her calorie goal when she actually ate 500 calories more than move her toward her goal.

I like to get as much actual data (numbers rather than feelings) when I try to give advice and I've found that asking the net vs. eat question is a good away to get it. Of course, I also need to ask the "what kind of exercise and how many calories do you log for it" question as well (left that out earlier.)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Just in relation to your alternate thread title:

'You're not losing fat because you're eating too much'

... it's fair to say that this should be extended to:

'You're not losing fat because you're eating too much in relation to your caloric burn'.

I have noticed a tendency for some users of this site to grill people about the input while ignoring the latter part of the equation completely.

Most people think they're burning a lot more calories than they actually are.

Probably. For some that's because they don't move as much (or burn as many calories from their activity) as they think. For others is may be that their calculated metabolic estimate doesn't match the formulaic general guess.

But whether someone is eating 'too much' relative to what their expenditure is.

That's the entire premise of the CICO equation.

One of the things I see a lot on my feed is people logging daily activities like house work, yard work, etc. That never makes sense to me. I only log actual exercise.

'You're not losing fat because you're eating too much in relation to your caloric burn'.

I have noticed a tendency for some users of this site to grill people about the input while ignoring the latter part of the equation completely.

Probably. For some that's because they don't move as much (or burn as many calories from their activity) as they think. For others is may be that their calculated metabolic estimate doesn't match the formulaic general guess.

One of the things I see a lot on my feed is people logging daily activities like house work, yard work, etc. That never makes sense to me. I only log actual exercise.

I have logged something that says "cleaning." But when I do it's not everyday housework. It's usually barn chores like mucking out the chicken coop. Very physical stuff that I would get very hungry and overeat if I didn't eat some back.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

|You're welcome to come clean my place then.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

I have logged something that says "cleaning." But when I do it's not everyday housework. It's usually barn chores like mucking out the chicken coop. Very physical stuff that I would get very hungry and overeat if I didn't eat some back.

And that's the way it's intended to be used. Otherwise, the typical amount of cleaning a person does in a day should be considered part of their normal daily activity level.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I'm talking about people who count vaccuming as exercise and the like.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

If it doesn't work for you, don't do it. What other people do impacts you not one iota. I do tend to log things like cleaning - because it's what I spend Saturday doing, rather than sitting on my butt in front of a computer, which is my normal state 5 days a week. Cleaning is more active than my baseline. I also tend to wear pants that don't have pockets, so my steps don't get counted by my phone, and I want to count those minutes I spent off the couch.

That's why I do it, and I never complain about how I'm eating 1200 calories!!! and gaining!!! We need to be aware of how our own lives work, and go with that.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

If it doesn't work for you, don't do it. What other people do impacts you not one iota. I do tend to log things like cleaning - because it's what I spend Saturday doing, rather than sitting on my butt in front of a computer, which is my normal state 5 days a week. Cleaning is more active than my baseline. I also tend to wear pants that don't have pockets, so my steps don't get counted by my phone, and I want to count those minutes I spent off the couch.

That's why I do it, and I never complain about how I'm eating 1200 calories!!! and gaining!!! We need to be aware of how our own lives work, and go with that.

Yeah except these are the same folks complaining how they can't lose weight. To me, that stuff shouldn't be counted as exercise because it's apart of every day living. You don't log taking a shower as exercise, or cooking as exercise. Now if it's something like deep cleaning or something that really is physical like moving boxes or furniture, that's a different story.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I've seen people count cooking as exercise. Not sure why, since I don't cross-examine. I guess if one is canning/preserving or something like that . . . ?
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

Yeah except these are the same folks complaining how they can't lose weight. To me, that stuff shouldn't be counted as exercise because it's apart of every day living. You don't log taking a shower as exercise, or cooking as exercise. Now if it's something like deep cleaning or something that really is physical like moving boxes or furniture, that's a different story.

i guess i can see it from both sides. if you're truly sedentary then making the effort to get up and clean can reflect in your CO, especially if you're at a weight where those simple things are not so easy and take more effort than they would for a relatively fit person. if someone is being honest and accurate about the intensity level and duration as well as looking at the stated burn with a careful eye then i don't see anything wrong with eating back some of those calories. and logging the activity is always going to give you another data point for consideration and trouble shooting. if i see that every time i ate back 200 calories from light housework my losses were less than expected that's a pretty easy fix.

on the flip side i use my fitbit hr with negative adjustments allowed. mfp may give me 1600 calories to start the day, but if i literally just sit on my *kitten* all day and do nothing fitbit is going to take some of those away. if i was out running for an hour or if i was cleaning house for 4 hours that's still extra CO regardless of whether i would categorize it as "intentional exercise"
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

In general, I agree with you. In general, no one needs to log things that are a routine part of daily non-exercise life. It's one of many good ways to over-state exercise calories.

But there's still context. It depends on what's really in a daily activity level that is working for a specific person.

Example: I have a disabled woman in my friend feed. She rarely does housework. If she's having a really good day, she may do some, and she logs it, because it's unusual and especially effortful for her.

Even I might log housework if a did a deep-clean with furniture rearranging for several hours, because I'm normally slovenly and lackadaisical, so that would be unusual for me. Run the vacuum around the living room once in a while for a few minutes . . . nah, I don't log that.

Lol... it shocks me to think you might be slovenly & lackadaisical, @AnnPT77 !

It seems like it would be common sense... if *you* do it all the time, it's factored into your daily activity; if not, it makes sense to log it. I don't log when I vacuum at home, but when I volunteer to vacuum the large auditorium of our congregation, I log that. The alternative would be to count yourself as being completely sedentary (and even that has a built in level of assumed activity) and log every single thing, but the problem there would be that the burns for most activities are highly inflated, so the more you log, the more skewed your CO becomes.