"How am I gaining weight in a deficit?" or: You're not losing fat because you're eating too much.

Options

Replies

• cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Yes. It gets really annoying when people post here over and over how they're eating 1000 calories and not losing weight. They claim they're so accurate and even weigh food, then when they're asked to open their diary the truth comes out.

Sadly, I feel like I see women do this more often than men. Even with being quick to blame hypothyroidism, PCOS, carbs, etc. I never found it difficult to lose weight at all because I came equipped with a food scale, a realistic outlook, and a love for being active. Of course the same people attribute my success to my "super" metabolism, the fact that I haven't had kids, or my genes. Such nonsense.

Yes! Yes! All of this!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Just in relation to your alternate thread title:

'You're not losing fat because you're eating too much'

... it's fair to say that this should be extended to:

'You're not losing fat because you're eating too much in relation to your caloric burn'.

I have noticed a tendency for some users of this site to grill people about the input while ignoring the latter part of the equation completely.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

'You're not losing fat because you're eating too much in relation to your caloric burn'.

I have noticed a tendency for some users of this site to grill people about the input while ignoring the latter part of the equation completely.

Most people think they're burning a lot more calories than they actually are.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I recently got a food scale and found that I have been logging accurately all along (i.e. what I guessed was a oz of cheddar was an oz of cheddar). Where I go wrong is having difficulty actually eating as few calories as I need to in order to lose weight. Eating 1400 calories is really hard! Not going to come here and complain about that though ;)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    This is where I get confused. Assuming you are accurate in your logging and eating so that you should be losing weight, what does being close to your goal have anything to do with anything. Why does it take so long to lose the last ten or so pounds if you're adjusting your calories appropriately as you lose weight? It still should be all CICO right?

As I said in another thread in response to the statement from someone else that "a deficit is a deficit":
    A deficit is not necessarily a deficit. All these numbers we're working with are estimates, unless we've had our VO2 professionally measured so that we know our RMR precisely. Even then, MFP is using an estimate of our NEAT burn based on our subjective evaluations of our activity levels. The numbers we get for our exercise burns are estimates too. That means there are error margins, sometimes large ones. Allowing for too narrow a deficit will move you to within the margin of error, and in such cases you might not be eating a deficit when you think you are even when tracking your intake precisely.

I don't know how big these margins of error are, but if you're aiming for the deficit equivalent of, say, 3 apples a day, it's not too unreasonable to think you're close.
    Whatever the margin of error is, it's going to overlap more and more with our actual caloric requirements the closer we get to an ideal weight since, for many people, it's prohibitively difficult to restrict calories aggressively when we don't have much left to lose. I suspect that if we try, we become especially prone to having our brains shut off about calorie awareness.
  • crackpotbaby
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Probably. For some that's because they don't move as much (or burn as many calories from their activity) as they think. For others is may be that their calculated metabolic estimate doesn't match the formulaic general guess.

But whether someone is eating 'too much' relative to what their expenditure is.

That's the entire premise of the CICO equation.

• AnvilHead
    Options

Probably. For some that's because they don't move as much (or burn as many calories from their activity) as they think. For others is may be that their calculated metabolic estimate doesn't match the formulaic general guess.

Yep, the feedback loop is an important part of CICO because we're working with estimates on all ends of the equation. Start with a formula/estimate that's supposed to put you in the ballpark and tweak it from there. It doesn't mean that CICO isn't valid, it just means that it's not an exact science.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options

Yep, the feedback loop is an important part of CICO because we're working with estimates on all ends of the equation. Start with a formula/estimate that's supposed to put you in the ballpark and tweak it from there. It doesn't mean that CICO isn't valid, it just means that it's not an exact science.

I in no way suggested that CI is invalid.

I wrote that to say someone is eating too much (CI) needs to be qualified by the fact that 'too much' is relative to a person's caloric expenditure (CO).

• AnvilHead
    Options

I wrote that to say someone is eating too much (CI) needs to be qualified by the fact that 'too much' is relative to a person's caloric expenditure (CO).

I wasn't arguing with you, I was agreeing with you.

Or at least so I thought. :)
  • crackpotbaby
    Options

I wasn't arguing with you, I was agreeing with you.

Or at least so I thought. :)

Cool. I must have misinterpreted.

• CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    @Maxematics yeah. Been there done that. Won't do it again!

@try2again @ccsernica Thank you for the clear explanations. I forget these are all estimates.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If someone is an outlier, there's nothing we can do for them, though. The best advice is to see a doctor or nutritionist or actually get BMR tested, which is usually the advice given if someone *truly* seems to be measuring CICO as accurately as is feasable.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Clickbait title, but bear with me. This is a great article at Physiqonomics on why people tend to under-report their calories, and strategies to avoid or minimize the problem: http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/

I see a lot here that folks will run into issues where they think they should be losing but they aren't, and (barring a few short-term issues like water retention) it's usually because they aren't recording their intake as accurately as they think they are. Questions about their logging strategies are often taken as accusations that they are "lying," when really it's an effort to identify and remove as many barriers as possible in order to get the most accurate logging they can with the tools available. As the article states, literally everyone, even a dietitian, is susceptible to misreporting calorie intake.

So in short: You're not in "starvation mode." Look at your logging first.

Reminds me of this one. I quote it all the time: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I would wonder if some of these people are sleep eating, but when I've done it, there is always evidence in the morning.

(It's been pretty mild for years, it was much more often when I was in college.)