"How am I gaining weight in a deficit?" or: You're not losing fat because you're eating too much.

Options

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Yes. It gets really annoying when people post here over and over how they're eating 1000 calories and not losing weight. They claim they're so accurate and even weigh food, then when they're asked to open their diary the truth comes out.

Sadly, I feel like I see women do this more often than men. Even with being quick to blame hypothyroidism, PCOS, carbs, etc. I never found it difficult to lose weight at all because I came equipped with a food scale, a realistic outlook, and a love for being active. Of course the same people attribute my success to my "super" metabolism, the fact that I haven't had kids, or my genes. Such nonsense.

All those things do effect weight-loss though. Do they have as large of an impact on weight-loss as calories in-calories out? Of course not. Just means some people have to be more strict than others. It's not nonsense, it's just used as an excuse for being unsuccessful in place of dietary failures.

I wasn't saying those things were nonsense; I was saying that the people who attribute my success to my genes or apparent super duper hyper metabolism are spouting nonsense. I agree that there are a multitude of factors that affect one's CO but how much of an impact it has is HIGHLY overestimated.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    stit60 wrote: »
    I'd like to put my 2 cents in on this discussion. Once one has honestly and accurately recorded one's calories and nutrition and is STILL not losing weight, OR inches, a visit to the doctor may be in order. (I stress inches as an importance since the scales can some times reflect water weight when there actually has been a fat loss.) I am a rare case of one of those who couldn't lose for love or money. I actually DID have health problems blocking my weight loss. One was inflammation from having a low vitamin D level which caused insulin resistance and slow metabolic rate, so, get your vitamin D level checked if you haven't already. The next was, my labs came back abnormal for both thyroid and parathyroid. I'm now getting treatment for both. Lastly, (but not necessarily an excuse) is my age...I'm older than some on this thread (56) and don't have the luxury of child-bearing hormones circulating through my wrinkled up ol carcass. Nevertheless, I don't use my age as an excuse and am logging in every day here and doing what's necessary. I hope to be soon losing weight and inches now that I am starting to recover from some of my health problems. I hope this helps someone else here. It is important to look at the WHOLE picture!

Yup, 100% agree. Glad to hear you have started to recover!

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ditto on The vitamin D thing. Mine was down to nearly nothing. I was a zombie. I had never felt so bad in all my life. I make sure to stay on top of my Vitamin D now. I can always tell if it's getting low because I get a funky "sleepy" feeling in my thumbs.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Yep, great article. Saw it this morning on FB and read it.
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to that flowchart infographic to post when people complain they don't know why they aren't losing weight?

Honestly I was happy that people stopped circulating that tiresome chart. Now here it comes again!

Why is the truth in an easy to read format tiresome?

Gosh, good question. Wish I could answer one way or another, but the print in the chart is too small for me to read.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to that flowchart infographic to post when people complain they don't know why they aren't losing weight?

Honestly I was happy that people stopped circulating that tiresome chart. Now here it comes again!

Gosh, good question. Wish I could answer one way or another, but the print in the chart is too small for me to read.

Most browsers will allow you to enlarge the page so as to make the text bigger.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    This is where I get confused. Assuming you are accurate in your logging and eating so that you should be losing weight, what does being close to your goal have anything to do with anything. Why does it take so long to lose the last ten or so pounds if you're adjusting your calories appropriately as you lose weight? It still should be all CICO right?
  • GaveYouPower
    GaveYouPower Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Most browsers will allow you to enlarge the page so as to make the text bigger.

Lol. Behave.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    This is where I get confused. Assuming you are accurate in your logging and eating so that you should be losing weight, what does being close to your goal have anything to do with anything. Why does it take so long to lose the last ten or so pounds if you're adjusting your calories appropriately as you lose weight? It still should be all CICO right?

Because your deficit will be smaller to remain safe. So if the safe deficit for your weight loss is now 250 calories per day as opposed to 500 calories per day, then you will lose 0.5lbs per week and not 1lb. So CICO still applies but the numbers change as you lose.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options

It is not easy to read. When I see all those shapes of differing colors and sizes all over the page with a wall of fine print on each it makes me want to yank it of the computer screen and burn it. It is a visual circus for me, then the print is so small it's insane.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline Thanks for the explanation. That does makes sense to me. But what if I was overly ambitious and continued to eat to lose 500 calories less - i.e. I don't go to 250 calories. Would my rate of loss automatically slow as I got closer to my goal, or would/should I continue to lose as I originally was losing? Hope that makes sense.