Saying no to the office snackies?

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    I don't usually eat things that work people have made. I used to either walk past it or tell myself I didn't like whatever it was (usually the things other people make aren't made how I like them so I'd end up eating it because I had to, not because it was good). I also don't like the idea of some people making food I eat. I've also been known to walk out of restaurants if they're dirty or smell funny.

Besides, I have Ferrero Rocher and PB balls at home ;)
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,304 Member
    If they're in the kitchen area at my work I just don't go in there.
    This. I avoid the breakrooms on principle. Only go there to heat up my lunch if I have to.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Just say no. Look around at all the overweight people that are eating all that crap. Be strong.

LOL. People of all body shapes and sizes (thin, athletic, strong, curvy, tall, fat) treat themselves to sweet treats -- not just "overweight people".

Next time there is food at your work area pay attention to who is picking up the most treats. Most likely the "overweight" people.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    It helps if you have a supportive office. Most people at my company have seen my weight loss and there are a number of others trying to lose weight. But the snacks still come in. So when I think I want something, I ask someone else how many calories it has (and I have a few people trained to give me VERY high estimates). Then I ask how many push-ups (which I HATE!) I'd have to do to burn it off ... and it almost always works. Silly trick but it works for me.
    3474449k Posts: 46 Member
    If you get in the habit of having healthy stuff available to eat and not eating office food it gets easier. However, if I have to have something then a lot of times I will just have one bite. It kills the craving and isn't too many calories.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    call them "snackie wackies" and they won't seem quite so threatening.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    The reason why people are bringing that stuff in is ...

1. It's been sitting around their homes since sometime before Christmas (and who knows who made it ... could be your work colleague, could be their kid, could be some random neighbour). 3+ weeks have passed and the stuff is getting old and stale, and they figure if they bring it into work, the work vultures will dispose of it rather than having to just throw it out.

2. Your work colleague has tried whatever it is, and doesn't like it, and they figure if they bring it into work, the work vultures will dispose of it rather than having to just throw it out.

3. Your work colleague wants that stuff out of the house because he/she wants to lose some weight, and they figure if they bring it into work, the work vultures will dispose of it rather than having to just throw it out.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Surely some people just want to share tasty snackies. You make it all sound like an evil plot, Machka9!
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    RA60172 wrote: »
    I can usually resist the stuff at work by just telling myself it's not worth it. I'd rather save those calories for an amazing treat of my choosing later on than spend them on a spontaneous, mediocre, forgettable snack.

That sums up how I've always felt about office/school food too.

Most baked goods don't call my name. I have known a couple outstanding bakers though, and in their case I'd absolutely eat some of what they brought in. The deliciousness was worth it. If I did eat something though, I'd think of it as my lunch for the day, and only eat some protein from my own lunch.

Most stuff doesn't tempt me though. I'd find it more tempting if people brought in cheese platters or sushi boats. If I should be so blessed for such a magnificent event to occur, I'd definitely eat it, but as with the other worthwhile (to me) treats, I'd treat the calories as my lunch.
  • Machka9
    edited January 2017
    Surely some people just want to share tasty snackies. You make it all sound like an evil plot, Machka9!

I just figure they're trying to get rid of the stuff for one reason or another ... and giving a little thought to why that might be helps me steer clear of it. :)

Now if they brought that stuff to work prior to Christmas, I might think it was because they wanted to share tasty snacks and that what they brought was fresh and good ... but after Christmas? My very first thought is ... when was that made? Exactly how old is it?

After all, that is precisely what we suggest people do! We get questions in here along the lines of ... I got a large cake for my birthday, I've had a couple slices, but what on earth do I do with the rest? Answer: bring it to work and let the work vultures have at it. :mrgreen:
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Most baked goods don't call my name.

This is how I feel on the rare occassions I actually buy baked goods from a bakery. It never seems to live up to what I wanted in my head :neutral:
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I'm not really into denying myself things. A good decade+ of yo-yo dieting under my belt and I realize that doesn't work for me.

Instead, I treat office treats like I treat every other food, snack, or meal time. I moderate. If I want something, I can have a serving of it. Not two, not three, a serving and then I move on.

Oddly enough moderation doesn't bother me. Denial, however, does. Maybe it's the whole you want it more because you aren't suppose to have it thing. When I can eat whatever whenever I find nothing really phases me.

As for worrying about going over my calorie allowance, I prelog my meals and always leave calories to spare because it's not just office snacks. What if I'm hungry after dinner and want a snack? What if I unexpectedly go out for dinner instead of eating my preplanned meal? What if I decide I want something sweet?

These things happen and never put me over because I leave calories for them.
  • Machka9
    Most baked goods don't call my name.

This is how I feel on the rare occassions I actually buy baked goods from a bakery. It never seems to live up to what I wanted in my head :neutral:

I agree.

Most of the time, I've got something amazing in my head ... perhaps a dessert I've had in the past that looked something like what's behind the glass in the bakery there ... and then when I get it, it's dry and hard and doesn't taste very nice.

I'd actually venture a guess that about 75% of the time, I'm disappointed. Whatever it is just doesn't live up to what's in my head.

• VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Just say no. Look around at all the overweight people that are eating all that crap. Be strong.

I'm so into this way of thinking. Just because everyone else gorges on food around me, doesn't mean I have to. When I see all the fat people around me saying 'but its so nice mmmm' it reaffirms why I don't indulge.

Fat shaming others for personal motivation is an interesting strategy. Not one that I would care to employ, however, because I'm an eyes-on-my-own-plate kinda gal, and as a formerly 'fat' person myself, I have no cause to judge others.

I was once fat too, its from that prospective I make my comments. I do not have to do as others do. The 'but it taste so good' comment really resonates with me. I used to think like that too. So you can call it what you like - I really don't see it as fat shaming. Its a personal choice one makes, I choose to no longer be that person.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited March 2017
    I had this problem at Christmas/Jan time alright, and I'd say I'd be even 10lbs lighter was it not for it!

Simple now, went cold turkey for a few weeks, which sets up a baseline for appreciating minimising and logging it, so myself and coworkers can still enjoy treating each other.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Oh, gosh, I've got a big problem here now. My employer recently remodeled our kitchen area and they now provide "healthy" snacks for us. Fresh fruit, greek yogurt, low-fat cheese sticks, granola, cereal, nuts, various protein bars, small bags of popcorn, etc. So, it's mentally harder to refrain from this stuff...I just have to keep telling myself that the "healthy" snacks still have calories. I'm trying to avoid the kitchen now. Keep drinking my coffee and tea instead.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Hey all! It's day one back in the office after a week of vacation. Pre-holidays the office was riddled with Christmas baking, 12 days of dip, office parties, drinks ETC ETC ETC!

Now, we're back in the office and the snackies have continued-- ferrero rochers, toffiffee, pot of gold, peanut butter balls, butter tarts, pound cake and rice crispy squares all sit in the communal kitchen just waiting to be eaten.

What are your strategies to not giving in to those strong temptations too often ?

See if you can get people to put the snacks in a break room instead of all over the place.

Gross yourself out -- imagine unwashed hands touching the food, or people with flu sneezing on it, a piece of hair in the cookies, etc.

Put a little inspiring fitness photo on your desk to remind yourself of why you want to control what you eat.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Most of it is stuff that I don't eat anyway, so it's pretty easy to just ignore. I do not like the over-sugary grocery store birthday cakes, the doughnuts, the ultra-sweet semi-homemade desserts that go around or most types of cookies. It doesn't register as food to me. Not hard to not eat things that aren't food.
  • NancyMallo
    NancyMallo Posts: 28 Member
    During holiday season I would schedule meetings or some times just take personal time to get away from it. It was one of the things that made me over weight, sitting at a desk and eating food brought in by co workers and the company. To many companies give food as incentives. I always wished they would give non food incentives instead.

But I'm retired now which I think is one of the reasons I able to loose the weight.

I feel for all you guys and gals it's hard to walk away.

Be strong you can do it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I'm on a mission to get this weight off and get in shape. The office goodies used to be my downfall. I'd do well at home, then see the bag of candy. Before you could blink, that candy would be in my office drawer and in me! I am so tired of being heavy and so proud that I've lost 15 lbs this year already that I don't think you could tempt me with anything. I stay sore somewhere from my workouts and sometimes I am a bit on the hungry side; but I'm wearing a smile because I'm in a smaller size and feel stronger and healthier and...I can see my feet! It's a mindset.