Cycling vs running

Options

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Running because ahole drivers scare me. I had to jump off the road while running about a month ago because some idiot lady was texting and started veering towards me! When I'm running, at least I'm facing traffic so I can see what is coming towards me.

By the way, us runners feel the wind in our faces too! That's one of the reasons I love to run!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    You don't have to swim with the sharks if you don't want to.

IMG_1084-Edit-2-Edit-August-13-2016-4.jpg
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Running for me but enjoy both.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Running! I also love cycling though, but running more.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    ^ Never had a good time running. :wink:

My thought exactly.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add. My beautiful trek was stolen. Matilda - I miss her. She rode like butter on the Chicago streets. I was so heart broken after that episode, I went the complete opposite route. Fixed Gear - matte black, deep dish wheels - he's like a ninja, Vasari. I'm a bike commuter, fixie better for the city; less maintenance IMHO. I LOVED my road bike, but she was a *kitten* to keep up with, all the maintenance due to pot holes and ever changing weather. I'm also the queen of flats. If there's glass, I run it over. Ugh. Gator skin tires and all.

But moral of the story - while I love cycling. My true love is running. It's simpler.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Cycling - End of!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have been a runner for a few years and have always enjoyed that but have recently gotten into cycling. After dealing with a few injuries running and what seems like chronic shin splints I am back on the bike. I like cycling because I can go farther, faster and it's more fun. For me it's more fun to go out for an hour and cover 12-14 miles in the same amount of time I would have run only 4-5.

Last night I was riding down the highway, that I normally drive, and got to see a beaver dam and got a good laughed when a squirrel fell out of tree. I'm in Nebraska. When it's cold I put my bike on a trainer in the living room and watch a movie while I ride.

As far as the expense part of it, I spent $300 on my road bike on Amazon. I don't need an expensive bike for my needs, nor could I afford that. But I have also spent a lot of money on running shoes, clothes, accessories, etc several times over too. So pick your poison.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Love doing both. I feel they are actually very complimentary.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Cyclists don't have to throw their bike out every 500 miles. :smile:
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    hif1di99nhqf.jpg

I don't ever see white shoe memorials.
  • ThunderZtorm
    ThunderZtorm Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Cycling, by far.

For me, cycling is way more enjoyable due to one reason: I can get so far around in a single cycling day. My record's 130km. Doing a ride like that with a mate, enjoying the countryside and seeing the landscape, taking the obligatory baker-break around half way, there's just no way running will ever compare with that for me.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I've tried to ride bikes but they don't like me, so I run.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycling for me.
    Always hated any running any distance further than 200 meters and wasn't good at it. Would make an exception for playing sports though and would run to train for those sports even though I detested it.

But these days I've only got 1 to 3 miles of running a week in my knees but can cycle 100+ with no problem.
    I would also get terribly bored running the same small area week in week out - cycling takes me far and wide to enjoy beautiful countryside.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've been doing both for about five years now. I run 15-20 miles a weeks, and ride 50-75. Running goes up in the winter, and riding goes up during the hot months of summer.

I feel they complement each other well, as one is hamstring/glute dominant, and one is quad dominant. I think doing both helps balance out leg strength, which should make me less injury prone in the long run.

Cycling is definitely the more expensive sport, but I really like my carbon fiber bike!

20130601_104931.jpg
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I actually collect Cannondales. Have yet to pick up an SuperSix of any type. Not sure if I will.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I avoided running for a long time while still riding, swimming, rollerblading, Elliptical training, anything low impact. Last year, I decided i wanted to try a short triathlon, so I started running.

Running is hard! I max my HR nearly from start to end. It has been improving my swimming and cycling, in fact.

So I say: do it all!
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Running
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with BigMech both runnng and biking are both great for you. I have been doing both as well. I try to rotate days with each. Biking after a hard run helps my joints recover and I still get cardio in.

Here is a picture of my trek 7.7 FX
    4j24k84yzxlp.jpg
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Team Runner for me!

I don't mind cycling, but it always ends up as a battle between me and the bike, and the bike always wins.