Friends suddenly unsupportive after losing a lot of weight?

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Ignore it if you can. Some people can't adjust to change, others are out of touch with what a healthy weight person looks like.

My relatives used to do interventions on me to try to stop me from losing more weight. When I told them this was about health they backed off and admitted they weren't used to seeing me smaller.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    I haven't had that kind of negativity, but I have had to tell someone, "I'm not even at the top of a healthy weight range yet." I think it's harder to argue with health than with aesthetics.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    My grandma accused one of my friends of an eating disorder. So embarrassing :-(
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Tell them all to back off and shut up! Gosh people make me angry. You're doing this for no one but yourself and that's all that matters. And well done!!!! Inspires me to keep going with my weight lose so I can participate in life like you!
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Well, 1) those people obviously aren't your friends (so no loss there), and 2) they'd have nothing to say, if you hadn't made such an incredible transformation (thereby threatening them (forgive me for assuming the individuals in question are unfit)).

IMO, how you respond to them doesn't really matter. Cut them loose, and let them go back to the fantasy that they are powerless. Find supportive friends.
  • aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    It boils down to if you're happy with how you look then who cares. I get it sometimes, but weigh it carefully to if it is a compliment or a put down. If I think it was an intended put down I take it as a jealous statement because they want or can't do what I've accomplished. Make yourself happy and keep up the good work:)
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    If someone had said that to me on Facebook I would 1) report it as it's abuse and 2) cut them of my friend list so fast they wouldn't know what hit them, that's no friend.

As to coworkers just say thanks or shrug and move on, weightloss it's nobody's business but yours. Just ignore it.

I do think there is a skewed view on what a healthy weight looks like though as especially the western world is so used to seeing overweight and obese people. It's bound to happen that people around you will say you are looking too skinny, they will get used to it.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    My mom (my inspiration) has dropped 60 lbs with 10 to go and many, many people are telling her that she's too skinny and seem to go nuts when she says she's losing more. She just ignores and deflects. I've only lost 9 lbs but when I tell people that my goal is 125 (5'1") they tell me that I'm going to look like a skeleton. These are the same people who just gave up a crash diet the week before. SMH