Macros.... Help

Options
Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice with my macros. I plan to start the Strong Curves programme this week. My current macros are pretty much an even ratio. My routine has consisted of a combination of HIIT sessions and compound exercises.

I'm 5'6, 133 lbs. My Salter scales measure me at 22% BF, although I'm aware they are probably way off.

Any advice regarding the macros I should be aiming for with this sort of programme would be appreciated. I'm not at all sure if I should continue working to lose fat or focus on building muscle? bp9a6ctob18l.jpg

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Calories are more important than macros - more cals = weight gain, less = weight loss.

But, that said, once you've hit your protein and fat for the day, what you eat to get up to your cals is up to you and most people, I would guess, would choose to fill up on carbs and fat (because it's fun, it allows "treat" type foods, and it's usually cheaper than taking on more protein).

So, assuming that your moving from a fat loss phase to strong curves, and therefore want to eat more at maintenance or slight surplus I would recommend sticking to your current fat and protein (grams) target and filling up the rest with predominantly carbs.

Note: whether you focus on fat loss or muscle build is primarily a personal choice depending upon your ideal aesthetics and/or athletic performance but IMHO I'd say: Reverse diet to find maintenance whilst using the Strong Curves program and then, if strength improvements start to stall, gradually add in a few more cals.
  • hanibunni
    hanibunni Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is there anywhere you can get a proper fat pinch done? Maybe your gym? Because my scales measured me at 24% body fat the same day my trainer measured me at 20%.... To answer to your actual question though I am currently on 35/30/35 at 1600 calories and I am gaining strength while dropping weight (fat). I also eat back most of my exercise calories too x
  • fernadele313
    fernadele313 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hanibunni wrote: »
    Is there anywhere you can get a proper fat pinch done? Maybe your gym? Because my scales measured me at 24% body fat the same day my trainer measured me at 20%.... To answer to your actual question though I am currently on 35/30/35 at 1600 calories and I am gaining strength while dropping weight (fat). I also eat back most of my exercise calories too x

Thank you

You do not look 24% BF at all! Perhaps mine are off too. I'm aware those body scanners are not a reliable source. I have a friend who could help with the fat punch test.

My macros are pretty much the same although I'm averaging around 1,400 calories a day. I'll try gradually increasing it as I get further with programme

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You look very lean so if you want to increase muscle you need to look at your protein intake.
    As for bf% and scales which show bf%, take what they say with a pinch of salt, they're inaccurate. From what we can see by your photo you are very lean and shapely, that matters more than what any machine will tell you imo.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend finding a place that does an inbody or a bodpod for accuracy (or a dexa scan which some insurance will cover) - those are the closest to gold standard right now for BF testing
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I typically set my macros by grams per lean body mass.
    Pro: .8 to 1g
    Fats: .35 to .6g
    Carbs: The rest

It's really hard to tell your BF% just looking at your waist without seeing your arms and legs, but I would peg you around the low 20s maybe? Are you lean enough to start a bulk? Maybe.. maybe not, depends how comfortable you are with putting on fat. I usually start my bulks pretty lean.. I don't measure my BF% so I just estimate. If I am in doubt, I usually ask myself this question.. would I be comfortable with more fat right now (especially on the belly)? If the answer is yes, I bulk.. if the answer is no, keep cutting or move to recomp. Not very scientific I know!

If you really don't know what to do, recomp is always a good place to start - eating at maintenance and lifting to lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

Strong Curves is an awesome program, I loved it.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So are you trying to bulk? The difference between bulking and maintain is literally a serving of peanut butter.
  • JRiveraRodriguez
    JRiveraRodriguez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how happy you are with your physique. Do you still feel like you can get leaner? If not, theres no problem starting a bulk before summer, just aim for .5 pounds a week or less to prevent any fat gain. Try to get a gram of protein for each lb of bodyweight and mix around your carbs/fats to whatever works best for you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice with my macros. I plan to start the Strong Curves programme this week. My current macros are pretty much an even ratio. My routine has consisted of a combination of HIIT sessions and compound exercises.

I'm 5'6, 133 lbs. My Salter scales measure me at 22% BF, although I'm aware they are probably way off.

Any advice regarding the macros I should be aiming for with this sort of programme would be appreciated. I'm not at all sure if I should continue working to lose fat or focus on building muscle?

Excellent and thorough post about it here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • fernadele313
    fernadele313 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Some really helpful advice here. Thank you
  • nathanhine
    nathanhine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Any advice regarding the macros I should be aiming for with this sort of programme would be appreciated. I'm not at all sure if I should continue working to lose fat or focus on building muscle? bp9a6ctob18l.jpg

BW in lb's = grams of protein. 133g, 532 cals.
    Calories should be around 1800.
    15% for fat. Around 270 cals, around 30 grams.
    The rest with carbs. 45% carbs, 1000cal's 250grams.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's JUST about how comfortable you are with adding fat, because the leaner you are, the higher your ceiling in terms of proportion of each lb gained being muscle instead of fat. I would also recommend a true BF reading like a dexa or bodpod.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's JUST about how comfortable you are with adding fat, because the leaner you are, the higher your ceiling in terms of proportion of each lb gained being muscle instead of fat. I would also recommend a true BF reading like a dexa or bodpod.

Yea I think the recommendation for women is 17-20% before starting a bulk.

But in the end I will add there is really no hard rule about being a certain BF% before starting a bulk.. while it can be more optimal to be more lean, sometimes the time and struggle to get down that low won't be worth it especially if you are getting frustrated and want/need to put on mass. Not saying this is the OP just putting it out there.