Whey protein?

Options
As of now, I'm getting on average 130g of protein daily. My goal is fat loss and toning, so I have to start getting more protein in my diet, which will in turn raise my caloric intake. Right now I do cardio and strength training, and Ive lost a lot of weight in the past couple of months, but i think im losing muscle as well. I want to start drinking whey protein during my workout to up my protein intake and increasing my weight training. Are there specific whey protein supplements/brands that people like? Have folks had success toning while using whey?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just curious how much you weigh. 130g a day may be enough. If you want to maintain/gain muscle mass you should start a progressive lifting routine.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Just curious how much you weigh. 130g a day may be enough. If you want to maintain/gain muscle mass you should start a progressive lifting routine.

I weigh more than 130lbs. I'm ideally trying to eat about a gram of protein per pound of body weight. My body fat percentage is also fairly high, about 30%. Ive lost 35 pounds in about 4 months, but thats why I think Im losing muscle. Right now, I lift three days a week with steady state low intensity cardio and do 3 days a week HIIT. I think I want to focus more on making gains with the lifting and cut back a little on the cardio. But with the more intense lifting, I need more protein. I need more protein regardless. Thus the question about whey
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What lifting program are you following? If you get .8-1g per lb of lbm you are in a good range. But nothing wrong with 1g/lb if you do it for added cushion or satiety.
  • nichell88
    Options
    I also already drink i protein shake with breakfast and one with dinner. I drink an atkins one in the morning, usually 15g of protein, and either a premier or muscle milk shake with dinner, 30 and 32g respectively
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Also, whey is just a protein supplement. It won't help with "toning". Toning just means cutting body fat, which you need a deficit to achieve that goal. A good progressive overload resistance program, focused around compound moves will be key to retain muscle.
  • nichell88
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Also, whey is just a protein supplement. It won't help with "toning". Toning just means cutting body fat, which you need a deficit to achieve that goal. A good progressive overload resistance program, focused around compound moves will be key to retain muscle.

My thought is that it will help build and maintain muscle. Right now, I fear that I am losing more muscle mass than I would like as opposed to losing fat. I am not getting enough protein as it is and I am going to increase my weight training. My question is about the whey itself. Which ones are the best ones?
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2017
    Options
    nichell88 wrote: »

My thought is that it will help build and maintain muscle. Right now, I fear that I am losing more muscle mass than I would like as opposed to losing fat. I am not getting enough protein as it is and I am going to increase my weight training. My question is about the whey itself. Which ones are the best ones?

If you want to prevent muscle loss, it's more than having a good whey protein. It's about having a moderate deficit, adequate total protein, and most importantly, an adequate training stimulus.

But for quality, check out www.labdoor.com
  • nichell88
    Options

If you want to prevent muscle loss, it's more than having a good whey protein. It's about having a moderate deficit, adequate total protein, and most importantly, an adequate training stimulus.

But for quality, check out www.labdoor.com

Yes, I know all of this. I have been doing it for over 3 months and have lost significant weight. I am attempting, again, to modify what I am doing to lose less muscle mass when I lose weight. So I need to get more protein and increase my strength training. I would like to do this by using whey. I'm not sure how else to state my intentions if I am still not being clear
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    How do you know you are losing muscle mass? Protein is important as psuLemon mentioned, yes, but as long as you are getting 0.8-1g per lean body mass (not body weight) you should be fine. At this point you say you "have lost significant weight" what does that mean.. perhaps your deficit is too steep and as a result you are losing muscle. Also, what does your training look like. All of that will definitely have an effect on retention of muscle mass not just protein.
  • nichell88
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How do you know you are losing muscle mass? Protein is important as psuLemon mentioned, yes, but as long as you are getting 0.8-1g per lean body mass (not body weight) you should be fine. At this point you say you "have lost significant weight" what does that mean.. perhaps your deficit is too steep and as a result you are losing muscle. Also, what does your training look like. All of that will definitely have an effect on retention of muscle mass not just protein.

As I mentioned in my second post, I've lost 35lbs in about 4 months. Ive averaged around a little less than 4 lbs per week. Based upon what Ive read, thats a good indication that I am losing muscle mass. Plus my body fat percentage is high, as I also mentioned. I just want to know what good whey protein products are available. I dont want to waste my money
  • sardelsa
    Options

As I mentioned in my second post, I've lost 35lbs in about 4 months. Ive averaged around a little less than 4 lbs per week. Based upon what Ive read, thats a good indication that I am losing muscle mass. Plus my body fat percentage is high, as I also mentioned. I just want to know what good whey protein products are available. I dont want to waste my money

Hmm yea at that rate you most likely lost some muscle mass. Anyhow, definitely check out the Labdoor link psuLemon posted. My favourites are Quest and Optimum Nutrition.
  • nichell88
    Options

Hmm yea at that rate you most likely lost some muscle mass. Anyhow, definitely check out the Labdoor link psuLemon posted. My favourites are Quest and Optimum Nutrition.

Ive heard about Optimum Nutrition on just about every site I've checked out. Are their products expensive? Which flavors have you tried?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

OK, but in that case, you need to raise your Calorie intake. Adding protein is fine, but the muscle loss is more coming from a steep deficit, rather than a lack of protein. At this point, anyway.

So, don't worry about raising Calories - as you mentioned in your OP - and go ahead and check out that link above to see what might fit your budget/lifestyle.

That said, since you also asked what we like, I've had good success using every brand I've tried - GNC, BodyFortress (yeah, they supposedly had some potential issues with quality, but it didn't bother me - probably because I wasn't using it every day), Big Train (my wife bought it, I like the taste), and a couple others that I can't remember which ones they were.
  • nichell88
    edited March 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

OK, but in that case, you need to raise your Calorie intake. Adding protein is fine, but the muscle loss is more coming from a steep deficit, rather than a lack of protein. At this point, anyway.

So, don't worry about raising Calories - as you mentioned in your OP - and go ahead and check out that link above to see what might fit your budget/lifestyle.

That said, since you also asked what we like, I've had good success using every brand I've tried - GNC, BodyFortress (yeah, they supposedly had some potential issues with quality, but it didn't bother me - probably because I wasn't using it every day), Big Train (my wife bought it, I like the taste), and a couple others that I can't remember which ones they were.
    Thanks
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned in my second post, I've lost 35lbs in about 4 month.

Eek, too fast! Taper weight loss by eating more food, including protein. Doesn't have to be while you work out, but within a short period following. Keep weight loss to less than 2lbs per week. (I think 1 works best.) Keep the muscle-- lose the fat!
  • sardelsa
    Options

Ive heard about Optimum Nutrition on just about every site I've checked out. Are their products expensive? Which flavors have you tried?

Price is pretty standard, you do get a lot though. I believe it was cheaper than Quest. I liked the chocolate flavour
  • psuLemon
    Options

Price is pretty standard, you do get a lot though. I believe it was cheaper than Quest. I liked the chocolate flavour

It is definitely a lot cheaper than Quest and PEScience. I did the 5lb and it averaged like $14 or $15 / lb. Musclepharm was about $12 or $13/lb. Although, i think I am the only one who doesn't like ON.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just bought some to try, and it seems pretty consistent (taste-wise) with Legion and Biochem for the vanilla. (I'm the only one who doesn't like Quest, but I do need to try more of the others.)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just bought some to try, and it seems pretty consistent (taste-wise) with Legion and Biochem for the vanilla. (I'm the only one who doesn't like Quest, but I do need to try more of the others.)

I think Quest is a bit thick for general whey drinks.. but it makes a great milkshake. MP is currently my favorite.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think Quest is a bit thick for general whey drinks.. but it makes a great milkshake. MP is currently my favorite.

I have the multi-purpose mix and not a huge fan of it on it's own, but I love to bake with it.. it has kind of a thicker gooier texture (perfect for pancakes, muffins, cakes etc)