Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »

You should try Zumba, Nia or other gym-based dance fitness--that's how I got back into dancing. You don't need a partner and it isn't a big commitment, but it will get you in the right kind of shape for doing more authentic kinds of dance. It's also great stress relief.

Our gym offered zumba in January, but it was on a monday morning at 9am. Unfortunately, myself and one other lady were the only ones there - and after just 2 classes, the girl stopped doing them. But that is what I heard - that zumba would be a good start! I may check around and see if I can find a place that has them. Is it hard to learn though? I know, at age 66, that it will be hard for me to keep up!
    I think here smoking is allowed where alcohol is served - but I am going to check that. Maybe the law also is for bars? I know restaurants people cannot smoke, but I was thinking bars and nightclubs were exempt from that law. My husband and I have our 40th wedding anniversary in a few weeks.I would love to find a place where we could go dancing. We used to do that all the time. Not very good though - but it was a fun workout!

What type of social dance did you do in the past?

Check zumba.com...they maintain a pretty complete list of classes that is searchable.
  • m_onamission
    m_onamission Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've just re-joined MFP and am in need of motivation - and what a lovely idea this thread is. I hope it's OK for me to join!

Goals for today
    - drink 3L of water
    - exercise for 30 minutes
    - book a yoga class

I'm also looking for friends on here - I've done this before, but all of my friends from back then have become inactive! I've recently turned 30, and have just finished a really busy job (which I loved...) that meant I got no exercise and ate crap for most of the past year and a half. I've got about 15kg/30lb to lose, but mostly want to focus on getting healthier. Would anyone like another friend?
  • kirbygirl41
    kirbygirl41 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    3/21
    Steps 7000 :)
    25 minutes circuit train. :) Done it already!
    Drink 24 ounces of water :/ Grrrr
    Log all food and stay under goal :)
    Read and study :)

3/22
    Steps 7000
    25 minutes of taebo
    Drink 24 ounces of water!!!!!!!!
    Log all food and stay under goal
    Read and study
    Today my daughter has her audition to see if she can be in Jazz Band next year at the high school she will be attending. She is stressed right now. She is only in eighth grade and has to play an audition piece that is hard for upper classman. She is doing pretty good for an eighth grader. At least mom thinks so. :)
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Yesterday T 3/21/17
    1) Keep focused on Daily Goal calories and stay w/i 100 - Yes: pre-logging food before I eat is helping immensely with this ....not always going to happen, but I'll do it when I can. :smiley:
    2) Meditate in afternoon - Yes :smile:
    3) Check at least 3 things off To Do List in evening - Counting this, one complete and three others partially done :smile:
    4) Floss - Yes Day 4 :smiley:
    5) Bedtime by 10:30 (if I don't list this, I know I'll stay up later) - Yes 10:09 feel so much better when I'm rested, and I'm not so tempted to indulge/cheat on my food :smile:

Just for today W 3/22/17
    1) Walk at least 20 flights of stairs (busy day, not great shoes)
    2) At soup supper before Lent service, do not take a dessert
    3) Finish grocery list before service and shop after / stick to list
    4) Floss
    5) Bedtime by 10:30 w/o TV
  • shenna333
    shenna333 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Just for Today: Tuesday

Keep logging- :)
    Hello? Water?- :)
    Get out for a walk-nope
    Declutter one thing-too lazy

Just for today: Wednesday

Water 8 glasses
    Start spring cleaning
    Get out for a walk

Did not sleep well at all last night. Have been tracking sleep and feel so much better when I make an effort to get a little more. Hopefully, I can keep my energy up and eating in check

Have a great day!
  • mislis72
    mislis72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I like the idea of this board and that it might hold me accountable. I need a little guidance - do I simply list my goals on a daily basis?
    Thank you!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,091 Member
    Options
    @mislis72

Yep that easy!
    Whatever works for you!
    I just write today's goals and later tonight or in the morning I check back in and update on the goals I've written and write the next days goals

However works for you!
  • wikkidwanda
    wikkidwanda Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well.... I succeeded yesterday. I ate more than my calories allowed, HOWEVER, I logged it all. I drank a bottle of water and I went for a nice walk down at the river....

Just for today, my goals are:

Record all my food
    don't eat anything I didn't bring for lunch/snacks (no store purchases today)
    Have a big salad for dinner
    Start a 30 day challenge.
    Drink a bottle of water

Thanks everyone, for being there and needing/offering the same thing I am needing/offering!

I recorded all my food,
    didn't eat anything aside from what was readily available (that DID include a donut, not going to lie)
    I had a big ceasar salad and 7 oz steak for dinner
    Started the 30 day squat challenge AND the 30 day plank challenge.
    Drank a bottle of water

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!

Just for today, Wednesday

drink 1.5 bottles of water
    30 minute walk
    Salad for dinner
    do 10 squats every time I get up to use the washroom while at work.

here's to another day!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    JFT WED:
    keep track of calories
    think before I eat
    water
    walk the dog
    clear the table
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    do 10 squats every time I get up to use the washroom while at work.

Hey, I do something similar: At work, after I use the ladies room down the hall, I take the nearby stairs down to the basement, walk the hallway to other stairway and back up 3 floors. Since I try to drink at least 64 - 80 oz. of water each day, the floors can really add up! :smile:

Welcome @Pennyapink0204 @mknorr02 @mislis72 glad to have you join us! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,217 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JFT, Tuesday, Mar 21
    1. log all food :)
    2. carry my water bottle with me. Aim for refilling it at least 4 times = 8 cups :) Getting much better with my water! :)
    3. go for a walk tonite :) Went for a short walk though - about 1 mile, but I had already done 45 minutes on the treadmill before work.
    4. lay out clothes for tomorrow morning for the gym :)
    5. finish sorting through photographs :/
    6. read simple abundance :)
    7. read some success stories on here for motivation (thanks for reminding me to do this @Bex953172 :)
    8. stay committed. Get back on here tomorrow. :)

JFT, Wednesday
    1. log all food
    2. stay away from the nuts!! And if I do eat some, measure out 1/4 cup. No more grabbing handfuls to eat!!!!!
    3. drink water. Carry my water bottle with me
    4. lay out gym clothes for tomorrow morning
    5. finish sorting photographs
    6. read success stories on here for motivation
    7. try and get out for a short walk tonite
    8. work on charity sewing - finish up star blocks
    9. cut out some chemo hats to get started sewing on
    10. read simple abundance
    11. stay committed. Get back on here tomorrow

• Bex953172
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    2. stay away from the nuts!! And if I do eat some, measure out 1/4 cup. No more grabbing handfuls to eat!!!!!

Omg the nuts!
    I had some the other day! Only 30g but checked calories after and was mortified lol
  • kwfitgal
    kwfitgal Posts: 228 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    kwfitgal wrote: »
    JFT 21 March Tuesday:
    1. Log/Cal limits-- :) Tiny bit over, but otherwise great!
    2. 3+ pints water/tea/broth-- :)
    3. Abs challenge-- :o
    4. Peacefulness--Oooo-yesterday was tough. Try again today

JFT 22 Mar Wednesday:
    1. Log/Cal limits
    2. 3+ pints water/tea/broth
    3. Abs challenge
    4. Peacefulness
  • mislis72
    mislis72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bex!
    Here are my goals for today:
    1. Log everything!
    2. Walk 5 miles
    3. Make a dent in my to-do list

March Goals:
    Current Weight: 150lbs
    Target Weight: 125lbs
    Lbs to lose this month: 4
  • asclepsia
    asclepsia Posts: 204 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I would like to join the Just for Today discussion thread. My diet plan is going quite well, but since I've retired recently, my accomplishments are few and far between!
    Just for today, I will work one hour on the dining room table---writing letters, paying bills, and tidying it, in general.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Omg .. help!!
    I have 68 calories left and we've got dinner to have yet!!!

The puppy won't walk today because it's raining (i know right) so literally sat on my fat bum all day!!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    asclepsia wrote: »
    I would like to join the Just for Today discussion thread. My diet plan is going quite well, but since I've retired recently, my accomplishments are few and far between!
    Just for today, I will work one hour on the dining room table---writing letters, paying bills, and tidying it, in general.

Love to have you join us! It is a great motivator, not only to eat healthy, and exercise, but to set goals for each day.
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 Take a deep breath! Walk in the house, I do this a lot, or look on you tube for a walking video. Aim for Maintenance today or run up and down the stairs. (For 1 pound loss they do 500 calories less than your maintenance to reach allowed calories a day.
  • mytime6630
    Options
    3/21

Today my daughter has her audition to see if she can be in Jazz Band next year at the high school she will be attending. She is stressed right now. She is only in eighth grade and has to play an audition piece that is hard for upper classman. She is doing pretty good for an eighth grader. At least mom thinks so. :)

Good luck to your daughter. My son was in Jazz Band all through high school, and loved it.
  • mytime6630
    edited March 2017
    Options

What type of social dance did you do in the past?

Check zumba.com...they maintain a pretty complete list of classes that is searchable.

I checked our YMCA - and they have zumba! So wish me luck -- I'm going to try and go to some of the classes! I also saw several other "dance" classes there that would be fun. They have a class called "boogie Dance Tone" - which is 50s music, something called "variety Dance Club" and line dancing (that I never really liked though, but it might still be fun. Thanks for the inspiration to get out there and dance again. I was never very good, but loved it, so hopefully I can keep up with the zumba!