How did you stop overeating ?

Options
I have a serious problem with over eating. I never feel like I'm full. If I can access food I will constantly be eating, if it's not food it's a coffee or juice. I feel like I'm obsessed, I'm always thinking about what I will make for the next meal (I love cooking). How do I stop this way of thinking? I also struggle with emotional eating. The other day I found out the person I was dating was cheating and I just ate all those feelings. I had 3 Boston creams (410 calories per) ( I walked three separate times to get them) drank like 2 litres of Vanilla Coke a giant kit kat and a carmilk bar and as a broke student I ate whatever I could find in my cupboards. I know how to eat healthy, but I can't seem to overcome this unhealthy relationship with food. I've been buying healthy groceries but I'll still eat probably 3 times the ammount I should be. I'm hoping returning to calorie counting will be helpful, but does anyone have advice they could share or personal experience with overcoming this ? I really appreciate it.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I didn't really stop eating as much but changed the portions of what I ate. I used vegetables to bulk up meals and choose snacks under 200 calories. I also drink tons of herbal tea instead of soda. Carrots and celery are pretty cheap staples to have around.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to address the issue of emotional eating by finding another more constructive way to manage your emotions and stress. Exercise, yoga, tai chi, breathing exercises, prayer (if that's your thing), writing, etc.

Regular exercise can also reduce stress during trying times. Not exercising creates stress on your body which can cause stress on our minds. We were meant to move. Our muscles need to be used.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to address the issue of emotional eating by finding another more constructive way to manage your emotions and stress. Exercise, yoga, tai chi, breathing exercises, prayer (if that's your thing), writing, etc.

Regular exercise can also reduce stress during trying times. Not exercising creates stress on your body which can cause stress on our minds. We were meant to move. Our muscles need to be used.

Excellent point, @Need2Exerc1se! I agree with you, too. The weight room is my therapy. I love yoga, as well.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Keeping a food diary helps me. I also swap out for lower calorie options when I do overeat. When it happens, I try to make the best choices (fit in my calorie goal and satisfy me).
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Over time you find the foods that are priority to you- in quality and level of worth. Were the Boston Creams worth it? Were they that good? Did they taste any better after the second or third? Probably not, I understand it may not be the thought process during the binge, but try to weed out the mindless foods and eat the things you truly want. Would you rather snack mindlessly during the day or save the calories for a special treat for dessert that day? I have to do this through the day. Another thing to try, stay busy. Make lists. Give yourself enough to occupy your mind that you aren't constantly thinking or obsessing over the next thing in your mouth ( I do it too) It's hard not to when you are logging, but this is a great place to start becoming aware. I have noticed that about once a month ( around my period) I will binge out. It's not all day, but just a meals worth. Sometimes you want to eat things without counting everything and I get that. Get over it, and move on. Don't wallow in the guilt. Make your next day, meal, snack, a healthier choice and move on.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Logging helps. A few years ago for Lent, I cut out chocolate- OH BOY was that hard! But it was worth it because I was eating crazy amounts of it, digging through the cupboards for baking chips when I had a craving and wouldn't buy it. Now I can stop at a smaller portion so it was like hitting a reset button. Every now and then I notice I'm climbing back up (mainly with sugar) and I have to rein it in.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I just wanted it really badly so I stopped and did what was necessary.
  • cshell1968
    cshell1968 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I am going to put that on my fridge...love the quote
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Keep on weighing and logging. If I fancy a handful of nuts, I weigh them, log them, scream at the calories and either put them back or exercise FIRST. Logging helps stop the mindless eating, and if you're thinking about it then you can't absentmindedly eat 5 chocolate digestives. If I'm having one I take one, put the tin away and then enjoy it sitting down a looooong way from the tin.
  • WrecklessRob
    WrecklessRob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I found the first week or so of eating less to be brutal... but once your body adjusts to eating less, it gets easier because your body craves less. Also, if you drink lots, especially with meals, you feel full quicker.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I have the same problem. Some days are great, other days I'm constantly thinking about food.
  • laurijeffords
    laurijeffords Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a serious problem just like this. The best way that I have found to overcome these strong cravings and needs to go and eat now, is to find something else to do, anything else to completely occupy myself. I cannot buy an entire birthday cake and leave it in the house, because I will eat it simply because it is there. I understand the struggle and am glad that there is someone else out like me! You can do it!