Protein powder/bars recommendations - U.K.

Options
Zara_Pi
Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Can anyone recommend any protein powders or protein bars and where to purchase them from.

Thanks

Replies

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I use myprotein. I would check this reddit comment on the flavors. Some really taste bad, some are great.

You can make your own protein bars with oat meal. Its a lot cheaper that way.
  • Zara_Pi
    edited March 2017
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    I use myprotein. I would check this reddit comment on the flavors. Some really taste bad, some are great.

Isn't oatmeal very high in carbs compared to protein?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Grenade carb killer bars
    Quest bars
    Reflex bars
    Protein I love phd diet cherry bakewell
  • subcounter
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »

It's okay to eat some carbs. You can do 80 grams of oatmeal & 120 grams of protein powder for example. I get around 54 gram carb & 114 gram protein from the end product. You can add peanut butter, banana, etc for flavor.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    MyProtein do a good range. I use the unflavoured whey isolate
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Myprotein
    TheProteinWorks
    Bulk powders
    GoNutrition

• Zara_Pi
    Options

It's okay to eat some carbs. You can do 80 grams of oatmeal & 120 grams of protein powder for example. I get around 54 gram carb & 114 gram protein from the end product. You can add peanut butter, banana, etc for flavor.

I thought you meant making barabusing oatmeal alone.
    So you mean make protein bars using both oatmeal AND protein powder?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Oatmeal is one of the base ingredients in many homemade protein bars; I tend to use www.theproteinchef.co for a variety of protein based meals.
  • subcounter
    Options

Thats correct. I've made the below yesterday, you can do without the fat if you are worried about the calories:

dm9rh2st2zzu.png

I simply mix the ingredients (used smooth chocolate flavor protein), add a small amount of baking powder, some cinnamon. The Japanese bit is simply low fat milk. Bake these for about 15-20 mins. They come out fluffy and really tasty. You can add some blended banana's in it too, or blueberries. You can also simply put them in a rectangular mold, and cut them like protein bars later too. You can portion them to eat them in 2-3 days if you like.

psuLemon wrote: »

Oatmeal is one of the base ingredients in many homemade protein bars; I tend to use www.theproteinchef.co for a variety of protein based meals.

That site looks great! Definitely will try those cookies!
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Myprotein
    TheProteinWorks
    Bulk powders
    GoNutrition

Pretty much all this, I use MyProtein for my basic whey isolates, I use TheProteinWorks for their 'create your own' products to create a Casien shake and I use Bulk Powders for getting separate amino's etc to make a pre-workout shake. As for Protein bars, Quest and Karb Killa are good but I also highly recommend MyProtein's Bar Zero range, all are high protein, low carb bars.
  • Zara_Pi
    Options

Thats correct. I've made the below yesterday, you can do without the fat if you are worried about the calories:

dm9rh2st2zzu.png

I simply mix the ingredients (used smooth chocolate flavor protein), add a small amount of baking powder, some cinnamon. The Japanese bit is simply low fat milk. Bake these for about 15-20 mins. They come out fluffy and really tasty. You can add some blended banana's in it too, or blueberries. You can also simply put them in a rectangular mold, and cut them like protein bars later too. You can portion them to eat them in 2-3 days if you like.

psuLemon wrote: »

That site looks great! Definitely will try those cookies!

Thanks very much. Will definitely give this a go.
    Will let you know how they turn out.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Myprotein - smooth chocolate Impact Whey Isolate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Myprotein- Chocolate peanut butter whey impact isolate. I'm in Australia and order this from the UK.
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try all your suggestions and see which one I like.
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use myprotein and they've just brought out a range aimed at women wanting to lose weight... the same awesome punch of protein but half the calories. I've just had the sample box and will be switching to this new type when I'm done with my current batch.

The chocolate flavour and toasted marshmallow is really nice, I have it with almond milk :)

Top tip, stay away from the chocolate truffle protein dessert it looks like pva glue and tastes absolutely vile! Banana flavour is good though!

I also get the skinny hot chocolate and have a mug each night :)
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    I use myprotein and they've just brought out a range aimed at women wanting to lose weight... the same awesome punch of protein but half the calories. I've just had the sample box and will be switching to this new type when I'm done with my current batch.

The chocolate flavour and toasted marshmallow is really nice, I have it with almond milk :)

Top tip, stay away from the chocolate truffle protein dessert it looks like pva glue and tastes absolutely vile! Banana flavour is good though!

Thanks. Where do you buy this from?
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks. Where do you buy this from?

www.myprotein.com

You can use my code and get money off your order, I think it's an extra 25%

HELEN-R1WT

And this is the women's sample box

https://m.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/active-women-sample-box/11332614.html?_ga=1.264703503.1268087191.1425225179

I'm not affiliated with them at all, I have just used their stuff for a long time! :)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Home bargains sell protein bars and powder. £10 for powder, £0.69p protein bar. Asda also has powder and bars etc. Sometimes they be on offer. I saw a 500ml of protein shake for £2.

I posted some pics on my page sometime ago.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Aldi sell these for 49p, in three different flavours. y12fslcbofca.jpg