You know what I hate!!

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    People who hate the dentist. Get to hear about that all day long. If you hate me so much pick up floss more than 2x a year.

Gosh, I'm sorry my childhood trauma of having to be held down by my mother while an ex-Army *kitten* dentist pulled the nubs of my remaining 2 front teeth while I'm screaming my 3 y/o head off. Oh and I'll hop in my TARDIS, travel back 48 years and stop my parents from having sex so I don't get born with poor dental genetics.

I brush twice a day with the "best" toothpaste available to me. I floss despite the stupid *kitten* shredding every time.
    7ugvr4rle63t.jpg

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    People who hate the dentist. Get to hear about that all day long. If you hate me so much pick up floss more than 2x a year.

I don't hate the dentist... My dentist is awesome!
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    mskimee wrote: »
    Recipes that don't give specific measurements!! No offence to the Americans on here, but what the **** is a cup?? How big of a cup? And a "dash" of soy sauce could be anything from a teaspoon full to a full on tidal wave. And there are times that google won't help at all, it gives you different weights for a cup measurement. :D

These are measurements for volume.
    1 cup is 8 oz
    3/4 cup is 6 oz
    1/2 cup is 4 oz
    1/3 cup is 2 1/3 oz
    1/4 cup is 2 oz
    Then you get into Tablespoons and teaspoons which are 1 oz and less.

Some people like to use measuring cups and some like to weigh. I prefer to use a food scale and weigh out everything in grams. I only use measuring cups if my scale is broken. I will add, sometimes depending on the density of a certain item the weight may not be 8 oz for a cup.

n8l0hairag1i.jpg

You beat me to it.

BTW, a dash is about ten drops. :).

I prefer volume measurements for everything but bread. I can eyeball volume measurements, but I have no idea what a "gram" looks like. It's a more "organic" way of cooking; doing things by eye, and by taste.

eta: oh! and if anyone is wondering, a measuring cup is eight fluid ounces, not weighed ounces.

Wait, what?? Cups....I can't even....
    Why DO people post questions here that they could look up FASTER than we would respond? Or the I weigh 121 pounds and want a loose one pound. It's been a week and a half. What's wrong?

Or the "here is a photo of me at 110lb, am I slim or should I try for 105lb?"
    Please, some of us would kill for 150lb and 110lb is an unreachable dream for some, don't be that person!!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    People who use headphones at the grocery store (?!) & while driving (!!). And the ones who max the volume, so I get to hear their crummy music, too.

In my state, it is against the law to wear headphones while driving. However, the ones who get me are the ones who are listening to music on their headphones in the gym and you can hear them all the way across the weight room.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    Recipes that don't give specific measurements!! No offence to the Americans on here, but what the **** is a cup?? How big of a cup? And a "dash" of soy sauce could be anything from a teaspoon full to a full on tidal wave. And there are times that google won't help at all, it gives you different weights for a cup measurement. :D

Measuring cups...

83999046591937p

The big one is 1 cup
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I hate Spring winds in NM...25 MPH gusting to 50 MPH...no way I'm riding in that and the sand storms that will come with it.

Looks like I'll be on my trainer this evening.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    1 cup is 8 oz
    eta: oh! and if anyone is wondering, a measuring cup is eight fluid ounces, not weighed ounces.
    For a quick approximation, 1 cup is about equal to .25 liter.

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    1 cup is 8 oz

If we want to get technical the liquid measuring cups are not the same as dry measuring cups.
    Myself, I weigh measured liquid portions and stick to the gram weight. I hate dragging out a bunch of measuring tools!
    https://cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5450-dry-versus-liquid-measuring-cups

True. To clarify for people who aren't in the US, both cups are trying to measure the same volume, but they do it in a different way. (There aren't two different units of measurements, one for liquids and one for dry things. It's one unit of volume.)

Also confusing is that a US and UK pint are not the same - the UK one is about 20% more. So if you see references to cups being half a pint, it's half a US pint.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    1 cup is 8 oz

If we want to get technical the liquid measuring cups are not the same as dry measuring cups.
    Myself, I weigh measured liquid portions and stick to the gram weight. I hate dragging out a bunch of measuring tools!
    https://cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5450-dry-versus-liquid-measuring-cups

True. To clarify for people who aren't in the US, both cups are trying to measure the same volume, but they do it in a different way. (There aren't two different units of measurements, one for liquids and one for dry things. It's one unit of volume.)

Also confusing is that a US and UK pint are not the same - the UK one is about 20% more. So if you see references to cups being half a pint, it's half a US pint.

I never knew that! Thanks or that tid bit!