The Daily Diary Thread

Options

Replies

• NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday guys! Stepped on the scale and I'm down a pound. ( but I knew this because I weigh everyday and record my trend on MFP every Monday) I ate over my calories literally every other day but only by 100-200 but I've also been moving and getting more steps in and not eating that back. I'm surprised I lost weight because I feel like I ate terribly but a overall look shows I'm under my daily cals for the week so CICO!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Today has been a busy day for me what with having appointments to keep ... and am not much happy about the snow storm we are supposed to get. The news reported it would start about 8 PM, but it was snowing and I had to brush the car when I got out of one stop at 4PM. ... Then I came home and made a vegetable soup. This one had cabbage and I decided to stew the cabbage with the flavorful vegetables instead of steaming it in the soup. Now I'm just waiting for it to mellow for it's half hour and then I can gobble up a bowl!
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    @ Carol: I know what you mean about walking the same neighborhood, but I do enjoy it more in the springtime. I love to see who has new plants popping up and all the new flowers starting to bloom. Not sure where you live. I'm in Cincinnati, OH. We've had an unusually mild winter, so everything is popping up early here. I also like to look at people's landscaping for features I like and ideas I can steal. Just a thought for making your walks a little more enjoyable. :)
  • j_trea1
    j_trea1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So, I kind of fell off the wagon this week. I went way over on calories at least twice, and one of those two occasions I just gave up counting. Been sick, and dealing with an excessive amount of stress. We are taking the day tomorrow to go to Raleigh and get out of the house for a bit. Hopefully I can keep the calories down and take the day out to decompress and get back on the right path again. I hope you all fared better this week than I have.
  • Nikion901
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm celebrating my 72nd birthday today and treated myself to some old home food. Had a cabbage soup with beans and potatoes in the fridge that I made earlier this week, then stopped at the Euro Deli to pick ups some European cooking staples. They had cabbage stuffed rolls (Piroshki or Boulochki) and I bought 2 of them. Then at the checkout counter I spied my favorite candy treat and went to buy 2 of them for myself ... from Poland, Dried Plums covered in chocolate (20 grams each) ... and the owner of the store was checking me out and pushed the two candies at me and said ... "For your birthday celebration" ... what a treat! .. PS my dinner, including the treat was 574 calories.
  • NoAnalHere
    Options
    I fell off the wagon over the weekend as well. But as long as we dust ourselves off and get back to it is what counts! (as well as identifying why you fell off the habit and learn better for next time). The snow is melting. No snow or rain in the forecast for this week so far. I may have some jogging /long walks this week. I haven't been active at all and I really need to move around!
  • j_trea1
    Options
    @Nikion901 happy belated birthday.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I was lucky this week ... lucky to have not ruined my weight loss for the week with the over-calories I consumed on Saturday. It was definitely in the "way over" category. Still was able to show a loss in each of the three different challenges I'm in.

@j_trea1 ... Thank you.
  • NoAnalHere
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It's hump day! I weigh daily and record my trend. Scales is moving in the right direction again. Whoop! Logging accurately and being honest seems to be working. I'm trying to stop my late night reaching for junk food. Overall the week has been going well for me.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I just love "hump day" ... it got me through many a bad week back in the days when I was still a working gal.
    You know ... If you can make it through Wednesday, Friday is just a skip away! And then it's TGIF ****

Glad to read, @NoAnalHere that you also weigh in daily and look at your trend. I do the same thing ... and here's something else I do that really has helped ... I participate in weigh-in challenges. This quarter I am in 4 of them.

For each challenge I report on a different day ... Monday's weight for one, Sunday's weight for another. Then I report the weekly average for a third one, and the average weight of MTW for the last one ... IS that overkill? Maybe for some folks, but for me it helps to even out the dissappointment when one reporting day happens to see an uptick, because my weight bounces around a lot.
  • j_trea1
    Options
    After a cold week which is no good for bike riding, and not feeling well on top of that, last week was not a good one. Luckily since I am not weighing but taking measurements weekly and just judging from day to day whether I feel comfortable at my current weight, which I do not. Measurements were the same on Friday so good news is lazy week and not doing well at keeping on track with staying at or under calorie goal doesn't seem to have hurt me much. Brighter note though after a rough start to the week with car issues and my better half almost being late because of it, I got the car fixed and back out on the bike today. Logged 20 miles in about an hour and 50 minutes. A little slower than my long ride two weeks ago but good to be back out peddling, and that currently has me at a deficit for the day. Hopefully I can not eat those calories back the rest of the day.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I read an interesting article that came into my email this morning.

It talked about the circadian rhythm; not of our sleep (although that was touched on), but of our metabolism. The gist of was that we would do better nutritionally, and weight management-wise, if we limit eating to a regular part of our day ... like only when the light is shining if we are night sleepers, and only vice versa. It has something to do with allowing our bodies to follow their natural ebb and flow of hormones and nutrient metabolism rather than throwing 'fuel in the furnace' on an erratic pattern, like we do when we eat at odd hours of the day and night.
  • j_trea1
    Options
    @Nikion901 it sounds like I am one of the people that article was aimed at. I typically eat breakfast anywhere from 7am until 11am if I eat it, and lunch therefore could be anywhere between 11:30 and 2:30, again that is if I eat it. Dinner then is anywhere between 4pm and 8pm. I am certainly trying to do better with that like either just eating a late breakfast/early lunch or brunch I suppose some where between 10:30 and 11:30 and then dinner around 4:30 or 5 but it just doesn't always work out. If there is a link you could post to the article I would be interested in reading it.
  • NoAnalHere
    Options
    @Nikion901 hey! Where do you participate in weigh in challenges? Is it like a dietbet thing or a MFP sub or between friends irl? That sounds like some good accountability! I have alot of weight to lose and being obese it wouldn't be uncommon to lose 3 pounds per week. But I'm so (interject not consistent) that it'd lose . 5 pounds a week and count it as a win because I'm not worsening my health but I could definitely use something for further encouragement lol.

My weight fluctuates alot as well and I woke up this morning 3 pounds down from just yesterday, I know it's a fluctuation, thank god for trend apps which keeps me a little more realistic lol.

How's everyone doing today!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @j_trea1 ... I'll post the link, but I'm not certain if it will open without a subsrciption. I got the link in the email and that came from Dr David Ludwig's newsletter ... he's the guy who wrote the book "Always Hungry" ... i think he advocates a Low Carb-HighFat-Moderate Protein approach to nutrition.
    http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2612679

@NoAnalHere .... If you go to the the MFP community pages category Challenges you will usually see challenges advertised that are about to start or are seeking new/additional partiipants. Some ot the challenges are formed as a private Group ... and others run inside of threads ... for example ... those of us who publically post to this thread could start a challenge group of our own on something if we wanted to. The link to the thread about challenges is..
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

AFM ... I had a big overeat day yesterday ... it happens at least one week out of three for me because I tend to abstain from bread products, and then break down and have some ... which always leads to my overeating because the bread (rolls, crackers, etc) has always been a driver of hunger in me. I am trying to get a handle on it today because I have a quarter challenge ending on Monday and am so close to my goal ... that I can almost taste it!~
  • j_trea1
    Options
    @Nikion901 thank you for sharing that link. I found the article fascinating and it actually makes sense. I guess I have a better idea on how to lose weight now.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I totally read the title of this as the "Daily Dairy Thread." Just started making my own cheese so I got excited.
  • NoAnalHere
    Options
    @Nikion901 oh i see what your talking about! It seems like alot of them are already in the middle of a challenge. Do you participate with the challenge daily on the board or personally by yourself ( like you saw a challenge and it inspired you). Thanks for the link! I'm looking through it and liking it. ( usually i'm mobile and sort by recent) so I don't click in the different groups boards just whatever is one top!

Reporting in today! This week has been going great. I'm eating within my calories and not feeling like I'm starving. Also mental health is improving because I'm dealing better with stress and how I respond to it! How's everyone Friday going?

And questions for all! :
    1. Does your diet flop on the weekends?
    2. What ways do you try to stay on track?
    3. How do you deal with social outing revolving around food?
    4. Do you have a support system? ( weather online or not)
    5. Are you hard on yourselves when you don't reach a goal in a specific time? ( like 1 pound a week)
    6. Is anyone paying attention to their mental health? And what are you doing to improve it?
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I totally read the title of this as the "Daily Dairy Thread." Just started making my own cheese so I got excited.

O think it's exciting to be making your own cheese ... are you using yogurt ro make it, or milk of some sort. I'd love to read your recipe and technique.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @NoAnalHere ... glad you found the challenge thread ... if you want to join one, that's where most of the announcements are ... just keep an eye out and you'll eventually see one that about to start that you can join in on. Also ... most of the one that are running for the entire year usually want new members as the year goes on ... because the drop out rate is pretty high on challenges, at least that's been the case with the ones I've been/am in.

Nice questions for all ... I'll answer some of them at another time.