I'm struggling these are the times I overeat... please kind advice only..

Options
Hi,

I am trying to think of strategies to overcome this, I overeat at two times of the day 6am (yes really I make my children breakfast) and I feel awful, I often have cappuccinos and bowls of porridge... it may be healthy but I eat way too much (I won't reveal how much as I am aware I may get negative feedback and already self aware :wink: ). Secondly at 15.30 or 18.00 whenever I come home from work and pick up my child. I have recently been feeling so flat I just want to overeat, and it feels like bliss in the moment.

I don't know how to retrieve getting back into that 'zone" that many years ago I enjoyed.

I have posted previously about my on-going tiredness and trying to address this.

I also have this painful feet and knee syndrome but wondering whether to just keep running/walking through it(?) I am with a child a lot and am annoyingly in the kitchen, a lot. It's my place of comfort. Sigh.

I am often at work or with children so wondering about setting up a blog, some kind of way of challenging myself and joining a community, I really feel I need support and wonder if it would help if I was also providing it.

I have tried no- carbs and felt tired, I have tried healthy balanced eating what I want and get fat and my appetite opens if I let it diet or no diet, I've tried only eating when hungry but either way I eat too much. I'm just wondering how to get out of my rut, as mentioned I have posted once before and had some great advice but at the moment feel it's ground hog day and each day think "never mind, maybe tomorrow"

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    What new habits have you developed after taking the advice you received in your earlier thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10517998/help-addictive-personality-i-do-the-same-thing-every-day/p1 ?

You may not have seen my response to you:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    surreychic wrote: »
    Ah sleep, not much. Probably about 6-7 hours but often broken sleep.

Look up "sleep and weight"
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/sleep-and-weight-gain/faq-20058198
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_and_weight

You seem to be reaching for coffee and food to make up for the poor sleep
    When I was sleep deprived I definitely overate to compensate. Things are better when my sleep is better.
    You may want to explore your sleep issues to help resolve your eating issues.

I agree with this. When I don't get enough sleep I tend to overeat the next day.

This and what I want are foods that don't satiate me.

@surreychic you may be giving your blood sugar a roller coaster ride - try eating a much higher proportion of protein first thing in the AM. That relief you feel from eating carbs is short lived and will set you up for another crash.
    • Try adding protein powder to your coffee (but you may need to let it cool just a bit or the powder will clump.)
    • You could eat eggs, or non-traditional breakfast foods.
    • FYI, nuts are better at providing fat and calories than protein

I have other questions about what you are eating which would be simplest to resolve if you would please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I struggle with overeating in the evenings, and at my mom's house. Some days are better than others, some days I completely blow it. It's ok to mess up. Most smokers fail many times before they succeed for good. Its no different with overeating. Being tired can make not eating SO much more difficult. And it's so comforting to relax and nibble. And nibble. And sometimes gobble, lol.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The only way to get out of you 'rut' is to want it bad enough and to be disciplined. You have to rely on determination more than on motivation. If my feet hurt, I listed to my body and don't do certain exercises or go light. Good luck!
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I thin the big thing about weight loss is that you have to really want it. If you're not there, and it's just too easy to put it off and say "I'll start tomorrow," I'm not sure anyone else can talk you out of that. You have to be the one to decide you're ready and today is the day.

If you decide to start today, the good news is that by counting calories, losing weight can be easier than trying to get rid of all carbs or trying fad diets. Put your stats into MFP, find your calorie goal, and start experimenting with foods that are filling but low calories.

As for binges, for the breakfast binge, my advice is to try to start eating later in the day. I'm similar - if i start eating as soon as I wake up, I'm going to be hungry again pretty soon and suddenly it's very difficult to stick to my calorie goal. Can you try skipping breakfast and waiting until mid day or mid morning to eat your first snack? If your problem is that you just get too tempted while making the kids' breakfast, look into meals you can prep in advance the night before. For the evening binge, maybe try a change in routine? It's hard for me to advise you without knowing specifics.

As for exercise, if you have an injury, you should definitely talk to your doctor about it. Otherwise, any exercise will absolutely help you lose weight. Even just a little bit of walking can burn calories and help make sure you're at a deficit.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Pick one small change to do today. Just one. Tonight when you go to bed reflect on how you were able to make one change and stuck to it.

Repeat.

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry most of the time tbh it's just bad habits eating when we like and that got us over weight as we know we should fuel our body

As you know your trigger times have filling foods but to me it sounds like you need comfort foods
    You will have to relearn how to eat on hunger not emotional hunger but proper stomach hunger

Porridge is very filling you say you eat lots maybe cut down gradually each day instead of beating yourself up tbh there's no hurry this is your new lifestyle a new journey and most journeys never go to plan as we'd like.

So next breakfast time if you have say 3 bowls just have 2.5 bowls and drink tea or coffee no high cal drinks
    Then do this again the next day and the next
    Day 4 cut it down to 2 bowls for 3 days then do 1.5 bowls for 3 days then 1 bowl ( I've put bowls as I don't know the measurements your eating)

Tiredness will come from being overweight and not eating the right foods tbh

Healthy eating doesn't mean rabbit foods it's eating healthy most of the time I have treats a burger etc all in my calorie allowance

For you if take the slow route cutting down before cutting out as it'll be kinder on yourself
    If you could do it this way yes it will take longer but if you don't you will be in this same cycle

Deprivation hunger binge
    Start again
    Over and over

I know I'd fall off plan if I couldn't have my treats and carbs are good as long as you don't have too many bad ones

• KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    jz8n2yf03t22.png

If you tend to over indulge in the mornings, make sure you log what you are going to eat in the morning the night before. Pick items that will satisfy your hunger and eat in moderation. Do you eat during the day or are you waiting til the evening to eat and that is why you are so hungry in the morning? For me, when I started this journey I needed to plan and prep, I made sure that I was eating something every few hours and drinking half my weight in water ounces each day. I ate more protein in the morning to keep myself fuller longer. Dont give yourself restrictions but do put a limit to you portion sizes.

I have degenerative disk disease, 4 herniated disk in my lower back and 2 in my neck... I also have an aneurysm in my artery to my brain. I used that as an excuse for my lack of activity for many many years. I now exercise 6 times a week. Does my back hurt, of course it does, but no more than it did when I was inactive. I have done the yoyo diet thing most of my adult life... lose gain start stop... I realized as I aged it was getting harder and that I was limiting my life span by eating the way I was and being lazy. When it comes right down to it, you want it or you don't. I don't say that to be harsh or to sound superior, believe I didn't get fat for no reason at all, I have been there. Wanting it means hard work, effort, planning and pushing through the every day bullSh*t that you are immune to and use to justify the excuses. It means trying really hard, failing and picking yourself back up and dusting yourself off and starting yet again, again and again. Its not easy, it doesn't happen overnight and you have to have a ton of patience. I needed a harsh slap of reality to get where I am right now, and as harsh as the truth was it was needed...I was told plain and simply... The only thing standing in your way, is YOU.

Good luck!
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    jz8n2yf03t22.png

If you tend to over indulge in the mornings, make sure you log what you are going to eat in the morning the night before. Pick items that will satisfy your hunger and eat in moderation. Do you eat during the day or are you waiting til the evening to eat and that is why you are so hungry in the morning? For me, when I started this journey I needed to plan and prep, I made sure that I was eating something every few hours and drinking half my weight in water ounces each day. I ate more protein in the morning to keep myself fuller longer. Dont give yourself restrictions but do put a limit to you portion sizes.

I have degenerative disk disease, 4 herniated disk in my lower back and 2 in my neck... I also have an aneurysm in my artery to my brain. I used that as an excuse for my lack of activity for many many years. I now exercise 6 times a week. Does my back hurt, of course it does, but no more than it did when I was inactive. I have done the yoyo diet thing most of my adult life... lose gain start stop... I realized as I aged it was getting harder and that I was limiting my life span by eating the way I was and being lazy. When it comes right down to it, you want it or you don't. I don't say that to be harsh or to sound superior, believe I didn't get fat for no reason at all, I have been there. Wanting it means hard work, effort, planning and pushing through the every day bullSh*t that you are immune to and use to justify the excuses. It means trying really hard, failing and picking yourself back up and dusting yourself off and starting yet again, again and again. Its not easy, it doesn't happen overnight and you have to have a ton of patience. I needed a harsh slap of reality to get where I am right now, and as harsh as the truth was it was needed...I was told plain and simply... The only thing standing in your way, is YOU.

Good luck!

Inspiring post, and honest too. I have to say it is hard, life seems a lot easier when I am not hungry and and my mood better when shoving carbs down my mouth at every opportunity- who doesn't want to have some chocolate when you wake at a ridiculously early hour and have a hard day at work lined up. I do get low mood and have to say love food and it always cheers me up...but sometimes wonder if I'm hiding in my little comfort space.

I really love you approach to exercise too, thank you for sharing. I keep wondering whether to battle through. I used to just go for a jog and absolutely love going. I hate swimming yet it seems the exercise that is "safest" but because I hate it I can never make myself go.

Don't get me wrong by the way, I appreciate this isn't a third world problem (!) and my every day life is more focused on children/work etc but I am just trying to address and self reflect.
  • surreychic
    Options
    What new habits have you developed after taking the advice you received in your earlier thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10517998/help-addictive-personality-i-do-the-same-thing-every-day/p1 ?

You may not have seen my response to you:
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    surreychic wrote: »
    Ah sleep, not much. Probably about 6-7 hours but often broken sleep.

Look up "sleep and weight"
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/sleep-and-weight-gain/faq-20058198
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_and_weight

You seem to be reaching for coffee and food to make up for the poor sleep
    When I was sleep deprived I definitely overate to compensate. Things are better when my sleep is better.
    You may want to explore your sleep issues to help resolve your eating issues.

I agree with this. When I don't get enough sleep I tend to overeat the next day.

This and what I want are foods that don't satiate me.

@surreychic you may be giving your blood sugar a roller coaster ride - try eating a much higher proportion of protein first thing in the AM. That relief you feel from eating carbs is short lived and will set you up for another crash.
    • Try adding protein powder to your coffee (but you may need to let it cool just a bit or the powder will clump.)
    • You could eat eggs, or non-traditional breakfast foods.
    • FYI, nuts are better at providing fat and calories than protein

I have other questions about what you are eating which would be simplest to resolve if you would please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Thank you!! I'm sorry I hadn't replied. I couldn't face eggs but honestly I can overeat on anything, I brought some sugar free protein bars and they are better but still I could eat more than one given half the chance. I can't bring myself to have protein powder in the coffee, a smoothie maybe but lumps in coffee.... I am very against lumps! I tried soya milk in coffee once, one tiny lump put me off for life. Thank you so much for suggestions though. I really appreciate it and haven't given up yet!

I even got porridge with added protein powder but it was just too nice.

• surreychic
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    I'm hungry most of the time tbh it's just bad habits eating when we like and that got us over weight as we know we should fuel our body

As you know your trigger times have filling foods but to me it sounds like you need comfort foods
    You will have to relearn how to eat on hunger not emotional hunger but proper stomach hunger

Porridge is very filling you say you eat lots maybe cut down gradually each day instead of beating yourself up tbh there's no hurry this is your new lifestyle a new journey and most journeys never go to plan as we'd like.

So next breakfast time if you have say 3 bowls just have 2.5 bowls and drink tea or coffee no high cal drinks
    Then do this again the next day and the next
    Day 4 cut it down to 2 bowls for 3 days then do 1.5 bowls for 3 days then 1 bowl ( I've put bowls as I don't know the measurements your eating)

Tiredness will come from being overweight and not eating the right foods tbh

Healthy eating doesn't mean rabbit foods it's eating healthy most of the time I have treats a burger etc all in my calorie allowance

For you if take the slow route cutting down before cutting out as it'll be kinder on yourself
    If you could do it this way yes it will take longer but if you don't you will be in this same cycle

Deprivation hunger binge
    Start again
    Over and over

I know I'd fall off plan if I couldn't have my treats and carbs are good as long as you don't have too many bad ones

Thank you for your response. I really like your approach of just try a bit better rather than abolish... I thought silly things like making it positive, for example, eat more vegetables - I like food, so this helps. I now have a cold and wonder if that wasn't helping, but I really have to say this is going to be an uphill battle. I have had porridge with protein added for a few weeks and didn't overeat on it then today... well.....

I know I have to change my mindset too.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I find that I like to eat more later in the day so I save calories by just drinking tea or coffee in the morning with unsweetened almond or cashew milk...that means ill have 50-60 calories tops in the morning and leave almost all my calories available for later in the day. Also, I like volume...so I eat foods that I can eat a lot of rather than more calorie dense foods I can't eat much of. I like carrots, cucumbers, apples, celery and dip them in light dressings or yogurts. You could maybe add some apples etc to bulk up your porridge so you can eat it but for less calories fill up? I like to eat apples and cinnamon in my oatmeal. Or I get the low sugar apples and cinnamon oatmeal at the store and it's 110 cals for a pkg and I add a little of the milks I mentioned above:) As for the exercise could you ride an exercise bike to make it easier on your body than running?
  • surreychic
    Options
    kshama what I have tried

Medication to help with low mood- I thought initially it helped, b=now tiredness seems back to what it was but doctor suggested taking it only at certain times in the month.
    Protein- I've increased but I'm still overeating on the proteins (!) and I am mad, I go for a few days involved in work etc then suddenly eat everything... just feeling "sluggish".
    Vegetables- Have to say I overate today and didn't have veggies to hand.
    Sleep- no option was woken at 5, I mean 5 why do tired children not sleep can someone explain this to me...

Still years ago I worked full time, would have a night dancing and still stick o a healthy eating plan and have a very healthy BMI.... so it can't just be tiredness. I think I lift my low mood with food, I am more exposed to food (cooking fresh food for family- los of sandwiches involved and I can eat a lot of bread/stodge) whereas I used to dance, jog, maintain a balance.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I like special k cracker chips for something salty and crunchy (28 chips for 120 cals!)
  • surreychic
    Options
    I find that I like to eat more later in the day so I save calories by just drinking tea or coffee in the morning with unsweetened almond or cashew milk...that means ill have 50-60 calories tops in the morning and leave almost all my calories available for later in the day. Also, I like volume...so I eat foods that I can eat a lot of rather than more calorie dense foods I can't eat much of. I like carrots, cucumbers, apples, celery and dip them in light dressings or yogurts. You could maybe add some apples etc to bulk up your porridge so you can eat it but for less calories fill up? I like to eat apples and cinnamon in my oatmeal. Or I get the low sugar apples and cinnamon oatmeal at the store and it's 110 cals for a pkg and I add a little of the milks I mentioned above:) As for the exercise could you ride an exercise bike to make it easier on your body than running?

Thank you!! Now this is interesting because I like volume with food too and every day I have over eaten I have also early on in the day, but then whose to say I wouldn't have anyway...
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice so far.
    I'm wondering if maybe some days you should switch it up foodwise. Maybe eat an avocado on toast one morning for breakfast, oatmeal with fruit and nuts on top for another day, tofu scrambles a third (bc you don't like eggs). I also find that if I eat only oatmeal, I'm hungry a few hours later, but if I add pecans or walnuts to my oatmeal then I stay fuller much longer.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Motivation wanes. You need discipline. When the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change, you will figure it out. We can't give you tips on discipline but I can say we have all struggled with this at some point. Just start tracking even if you're overeating. That was my first step 4 years ago
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you are able and have the self-control try limiting how much rather than what you eat. Second...I find planning my diary helps and I try to set times when I can eat. This way if I get hungry before hand I have a bottle of water or a diet soda or something with little calories and I remind myself I can look forward to my ____ at 4pm. I only have to wait ___hrs or ___ minutes. Then I make sure to eat slowly and enjoy my food so it can settle as I eat. Drinking a lot with your food also helps (and I mean water) because it helps fill you up. Try different approaches and Im sure youll find something that works for you. If you MUST eat at 6am and you know you will eat a lot keep some fruit you love handy that is not too high in calories (maybe berries because theyre small and if you eat them one at a time its difficult to over eat them?) or even some veggies if you prefer those. Egg whites are also a low calorie alternative to other options.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    You might also try adding fruit to your cereal to bulk it up. Then once you've eaten one bowl, get up and do something else. If you have a family, there is probably something that needs to be cleaned or straightened up. Or go do some yoga or other exercise. Same when you get home from work. Eat some fruit, then go do something else. Go for a walk or a bike ride. Play games with the kids. Clean the bathroom. Do something active so you aren't just staying in the kitchen, facing temptation. Make just enough food, not extra portions so you aren't tempted to finish off the rest.
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think you sound like you might be a bit depressed. If you are eating to treat your depression, no amount of willpower, determination or "wanting it badly" will help you lose weight. You need to treat the cause, not the symptom (weight gain as a result of overeating). If you are depressed you will continue to beat yourself up, blaming it on a lack of willpower or desire, or whatever.

Wellbutrin works wonders for me. Good luck!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It takes a bit for our bodies to register full. So can you drink a glass of water before even cooking and then slow down and space the food. Also i switched to vintage plates and bowls which are smaller. Could you use smaller even kid size bowls and plates. It looks like a lot more food in a small dish.