DASH diet and looking for some recipes

Options
So frustrated. Usually I have low blood pressure , so imagine my surprise when I end up with pre-eclampsia during my pregnancy and post partum pre-eclampsia. Even with medication (we are already discussing increasing it) my b/p is still ridiculously high-yes I am under a physicians care already.

I asked my OB of maybe the DASH diet would help my pressure. She said it might, but because the b/pbisbrelated to hormones etc, that it may not make that much of a difference. However, this point, I'm willing to try anything that might make a difference.

I am the type that used to pour salt on everything, even if naturally salty. My fear is I will find foods too bland and not enjoyable when I eliminate the salt. Looking for some suggestions/recipes for food that won't be bland (like DASH friendly herbs/spices) and maybe some new recipes to try. It has to be wheat, barley, oat and gluten free.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Do you like spicy food? I'm a massive salt eater, but find I can do without it if I use chilli or cayenne pepper in food...
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There are quite a few studies that indicate pre-eclampsia is related to not enough protein. I wonder if post baby (since this is hormone related high bp) increasing your protein intake would help? Minced garlic is a good flavor addition to most foods. Either fresh crushed or costco sells large quantities of minced garlic in its own juice in the baking/spice aisle that works really well with cooking.

Supplementally, potassium, magnesium, vits C and D are all key in bp regulation. Walking. And as unappetizing as this sounds, beet juice and beet greens are also good at pulling bp down. Perhaps wilted beet greens sauteed in garlic and butter on a daily basis. Beets can be juiced in a good juicer.

I don't cook with salt hardly at all but I do cook with a lot of garlic and butter because both add tremendous flavor to foods. You might give those a try with most of your regular recipes.

HTH
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you like spicy food? I'm a massive salt eater, but find I can do without it if I use chilli or cayenne pepper in food...

I like some spicy food, mostly what most consider mild or medium as the spiciest.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So frustrated. Usually I have low blood pressure , so imagine my surprise when I end up with pre-eclampsia during my pregnancy and post partum pre-eclampsia. Even with medication (we are already discussing increasing it) my b/p is still ridiculously high-yes I am under a physicians care already.

I asked my OB of maybe the DASH diet would help my pressure. She said it might, but because the b/pbisbrelated to hormones etc, that it may not make that much of a difference. However, this point, I'm willing to try anything that might make a difference.

I am the type that used to pour salt on everything, even if naturally salty. My fear is I will find foods too bland and not enjoyable when I eliminate the salt. Looking for some suggestions/recipes for food that won't be bland (like DASH friendly herbs/spices) and maybe some new recipes to try. It has to be wheat, barley, oat and gluten free.

You don't need to change what you already eat, just use spices instead of salt to add flavor.
  • elphie754
    edited March 2017
    Options

You don't need to change what you already eat, just use spices instead of salt to add flavor.

Uhh, I was asking for spice suggestions.....
  • Alatariel75
    Options

I was asking for spice suggestions.....

Another tasty variant is a salt-free lemon pepper seasoning. It's lovely on chicken and fish, and the lemon is zingy enough to not need salt.
  • elphie754
    Options

Another tasty variant is a salt-free lemon pepper seasoning. It's lovely on chicken and fish, and the lemon is zingy enough to not need salt.

As in just mixing a fresh squeezed lemon with some pepper? Or it's an actual name of a spice?
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I adore fresh coriander in salads and other dishes.
    Cumin is delightful in a lot of dishes - I add to taste, we are all different.
    Garlic, garlic, garlic.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

As in just mixing a fresh squeezed lemon with some pepper? Or it's an actual name of a spice?

They actually sell a lemon pepper seasoning but I think you'd need to check to verify it's gluten free because a lot of pre-blended spices are not.

Sage for chicken, or poultry seasoning blend for chicken/turkey. Lemon chicken uses 1/4 cup lemon juice with a cube of melted butter. Dip the chicken in it, coat in gluten free bread crumbs, sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning and bake. It is so yummy!

I think Mrs. Dash brand actually makes low salt/no salt seasoning blends too.

• Alatariel75
    Options

Oh, you can find an actual mix (many have salt though so you need to check) which is basically finely ground dehydrated lemon zest and ground black pepper. You can make your own with a bunch of lemon zest and a dehydrator, if you have one. The zest has a heaps of flavour and its a dry seasoning.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Uhh, I was asking for spice suggestions.....

I literally buy all the spices I can find, and I never end to make experiments. Sweet pepper is a staple for me though.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Garlic, garlic, garlic.

I love garlic so we are stocking up on it (we buy the frozen, cubes ready minces).

Oh, you can find an actual mix (many have salt though so you need to check) which is basically finely ground dehydrated lemon zest and ground black pepper. You can make your own with a bunch of lemon zest and a dehydrator, if you have one. The zest has a heaps of flavour and its a dry seasoning.

We don't have a dehydrator but I want one lol.

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Garlic, garlic, garlic.

I love garlic so we are stocking up on it (we buy the frozen, cubes ready minces).

You don't actually need a dehydrator to dry lemon zest. Then again, knowing you, it might be safer than oven/microwave methods:

Oven:
    https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-dry-a-lemon-peel/

Good old air drying:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/how-to-dry-citrus-zest-lemon-orange-lime-grapefruit-462025

Microwave:
    http://ifood.tv/storage/170502-how-to-dry-a-lemon-peel

For spices, it's usually a matter of trying to find what you like. For example I love thyme, rosemary and sage but hate coriander.

Honestly, spend some time in the spice isle of your local supermarket and pick a spice that appeals to you. Then start experimenting to see if and in which dishes you like it. (It's best to try only one at a time... :wink: )

• elphie754
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Garlic, garlic, garlic.

You don't actually need a dehydrator to dry lemon zest. Then again, knowing you, it might be safer than oven/microwave methods:

Oven:

Good old air drying:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/how-to-dry-citrus-zest-lemon-orange-lime-grapefruit-462025

Microwave:

For spices, it's usually a matter of trying to find what you like. For example I love thyme, rosemary and sage but hate coriander.

Honestly, spend some time in the spice isle of your local supermarket and pick a spice that appeals to you. Then start experimenting to see if and in which dishes you like it. (It's best to try only one at a time... :wink: )

Lol!!!!!

I haven't been able to do the grocery shopping yet so relying on SOs to do it. Male SO goes tomorrow for our weekly large grocery trip. Will ask Him to browse for me. Just hope he doesn't come home with some weird combination or rare international cuisine spice that almost no one has heard of/can't find use for in a recipe).
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Garlic, garlic, garlic.

Oven:

Good old air drying:

Microwave:

Lol!!!!!

I haven't been able to do the grocery shopping yet so relying on SOs to do it. Male SO goes tomorrow for our weekly large grocery trip. Will ask Him to browse for me. Just hope he doesn't come home with some weird combination or rare international cuisine spice that almost no one has heard of/can't find use for in a recipe).

Yikes... maybe specify to keep it simple to start with? Then again, the weird/fancy stuff is usually so expensive that I think I'd rather go have a tooth pulled than spend the money on that. :tongue:

I'm hoping your SO will be 'sensible', also where prices are concerned.

Because with spices, it truly is a bit of a trying out things to see what you like. If you find spices you like, try and invest in a mortar and pestle, grinding the spices a bit before use tends to make the aroma more intense.

Some of my favorites:

Rosemary with potatoes (mashed potatoes with some ground, dried rosemary in it is just delish)
    Cinnamon on chicken breast (was an accident and I loved it! I was reaching for the paprika :wink: )
    Thyme with carrots (cook the carrots, rub the dried thyme between your fingers to release the aroma and put over the carrots)
    Sage on chicken breast (also really as a tea when you have a sore throat).
    Basil and oregano in tomato sauce (I gave up using the fresh one, ways too expensive and the stupid plants kept on dying on me. So I buy dried, rub it between the fingers before adding to the sauce).

My mom and I had to learn to cook low in salt for my dad (he has radically too high BP and tends to tachycardia). That's how we started just experimenting around with the spices and herbs. At first it's hard, especially if you're used to a high salt diet. So my suggestion: dial down the amount slowly (over several days) or your taste buds will hate you. Going low sodium from one day to the next is a recipe for hating the food you're eating.

Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You will probably find food bland/blah without the salt. I've heard that from people who eat salty/salt everything then have to go low sodium. I grew up with my dad ordered to go low sodium/no salt, so I'm used to not having salt on food.

I used a lot of black pepper mostly for the heat. For non-heat but need something, I'll use Mrs. Dash. For SW/Tex-Mex foods, I use sriracha sauce.

Hope your bp goes back to normal because a life without salt kinda sucks donkey.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for your BP plan, but I use "Lite Salt" which is about half potassium and half salt.
    My husband uses "No Salt" which is all potassium. Should be available next to regular salt.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a salt overloaded household but barely use any now. You will adjust to the flavour. I think the only thing I need a bit more than I usually would is on fries! Because fries but it's still a low amount comparatively.

You probably won't return to using as much once the baby related BP issues resolve (which hopefully they will).

As for spices, if you like curry flavours, even mild, then there's a plethora of combinations you will find online and due to the intensity of flavours little salt would be required. And Moroccan, Mexican. All those nations that use spices over salts to get flavour into their dishes.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash spices mixes are salt free and has a such a wide variety...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I need salt (I'm on a medication that lowers my blood sodium level) and I don't have much taste for it on my food. I usually drink broth to get the sodium I need since my husband has high BP and I don't really cook with it.

I'm a big fan of the Mrs. Dash line, even though I could mix my own herbs and spices, they just save room in my spice cabinet. They are made on clean lines, but in a facility that also processes wheat elsewhere. However, I'm a very sensitive celiac, and I've never had a reaction to them. Their table blends are lovely for adding on top of food after cooking when you'd shake on salt.