30 Day Shred Newbies!

Options
Anyone new to the 30 Day Shred?! Whether you plan on starting soon or are within your first week lets talk about whats going on :)

I started yesterday and woo, let me tell you! I thought Level 1 workouts wouldn't be that hard since I'm pretty strong and in *decent* shape but I start sweating in the first circuit and all the way through. The push ups are the most difficult for me, but I'm hoping I do them without any modification by Day 5. My arms also get super tired on squat and press, but hey, feel the burn!!

Hope everyone out there is willing to try this or staying with the program for all 30 days! It really is great and easy to follow. Jillian does a great job of keeping you motivated when things get tough.

Love you all!

Lauren

Replies

• JL3mom
    JL3mom Posts: 48
    Options
    I just bought it but I haven't used it yet. I think I will try it tomorrow. How long are the workouts?
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I completeled 15 days in 20 days time back in April ,but I have decided to have a go at it again. I did day 3 day ( four days in). The lunge curls KILL my legs and the side ...whatever its called with the eye level arm raise wrecked me. Haha. I told myself after the first minute of the side/raise thing that if I completed the whole first minute with the weights I could do the second minute without. When the second minute rolled back around I told myself " just keep the weights in hand till you cant anymore". Im proud to say I held onto those damn weights till the end!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi! I finished all ten days of Level 1 and I did the first day of Level 2 today. Level 1 kicked my butt for the first four days. My muscles were SOOO sore. I was able to do all of the Natalie moves (except for pushups, but I tried to do at least 8 consecutive ones before switching to the easier ones). Level 2 was harder than I thought - I began with Natalie moves but switched to Anita, so many plank moves!

The whole thing is great for my upper body strength. I'm into cardio, and this REALLY gets me into strength training.

I've been at a plateau around 161 for a few months (I could have also been trying harder). However, I've lost four pound so far on the shred (along with working at a barn for the summer).
  • crazyquilter36
    Options
    Today was day 4 for me. I had to increase my weights from 3 to 5ibs and now I feel a burn ;) Push ups are the worst for me too. I did not think I could even do a jumping jack but I did them. I use a heart rate monitor and noticed today I did not burn as many calories as the first 3 days. Not sure if my body got use to it that quickly or not. Good luck with your shred =)
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be starting 30DS on August 3rd... ( Next week's not an option as I'm going on vacation July 27 - August 1st. Going to the Dr's for a Physical on Aug. 2nd.)
    I bought the DVD the other day and popped it in the player this afternoon just to check it out. Holy Cow! I was sweating and feeling the burn within minutes.
    I've read a lot of people raving about it, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
    My only real question is how the heck am I gonna log it in my exercise diary?
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be starting 30DS on August 3rd... ( Next week's not an option as I'm going on vacation July 27 - August 1st. Going to the Dr's for a Physical on Aug. 2nd.)
    I bought the DVD the other day and popped it in the player this afternoon just to check it out. Holy Cow! I was sweating and feeling the burn within minutes.
    I've read a lot of people raving about it, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I log it as circuit training. I don't have a HRM to check, but it seems about right (MFP says I burn about 192). I think most people log it like this too.
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    I just bought it but I haven't used it yet. I think I will try it tomorrow. How long are the workouts?

The workouts are only 20 minutes! Thats right, 20! :))
  • jomassardo
    Options
    I started it on Monday of this week, I did not think it would be that hard either on level 1....after that first workout i was sore, but the muscle aches are almost gone and i actually like doing it everyday (so far).

I have given myself goals and rewards for those!
    I have 2 Goals
    1st goal is just to stick with it for 30 days.......hard for me, i am good at finding reasons not to do something.
    2nd goal is my weight/inches lost goal......

I also have a problem with the push ups.....not sure i will be ready by day 5 but good luck to you and i hope you are!!

My favorite is the cardio..and then the abs.....i do not and have never liked strength training, but she does keep you going and it is not got a long period of time so i hope i can stick with it.

Loving it so far!! Good Luck to you and anyone else that tries it!!
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I ordered it a few days ago and should be ready for pickup (with my kettle bells) at my local Walmart by Monday, so I am ready to shred!!!!!!!
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I log it as circuit training. I don't have a HRM to check, but it seems about right (MFP says I burn about 192). I think most people log it like this too.

Thanks BioQueen.
    I thought about getting an HRM, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on a ton of features I don't want or need.... just want a simple one that will tell me my heart rate and how many calories I'm actually burning.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just started it today. Worried if I will be able to walk tomorrow. LOL I have never been able to do push ups even when I was in school. I was physically fit, just push up incapable. So my goal is to build my arm strength and somehow be able to do the push ups.
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started day 1 yesterday. I am completely out of shape and thought it's only 20 minutes... I can do this no problem! Uhh.. nope.I struggled after the first circuit but pushed through and actually finished. Today I stood most of the day because it hurt my hamstrings to sit. I walked for 20 minutes today thinking there was no way I could make it through another day.. But I decided not to let myself give up. So I did day 2. I'm sore, but so proud of myself!
  • lguy29
    Options
    I started day 1 yesterday. I am completely out of shape and thought it's only 20 minutes... I can do this no problem! Uhh.. nope.I struggled after the first circuit but pushed through and actually finished. Today I stood most of the day because it hurt my hamstrings to sit. I walked for 20 minutes today thinking there was no way I could make it through another day.. But I decided not to let myself give up. So I did day 2. I'm sore, but so proud of myself!

Good for you! Like everything else, it gets easier every day! I know soreness can be a huge excuse but push through it and you will be happy you did!
  • lguy29
    Options
    I have given myself goals and rewards for those!
    I have 2 Goals
    1st goal is just to stick with it for 30 days.......hard for me, i am good at finding reasons not to do something.
    2nd goal is my weight/inches lost goal......

My goal is to do it all 30 days as well. I have a tendency to like something at first and then I hate not seeing results right away so I just stop. But I've heard so many raves about it, ans seeing results fast so hopefully this will be something for us :)
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am starting it on August 1 because that is already my measure day and I want to take all my measurements before I start and then after I finish. I figured why change up my measurement days? Also, this gives me a little bit of time to sort of mentally prepare myself for what is to com lol!
  • mareed123
    mareed123 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hiya, im on day 12 of the shred (and day2 of level 2) i found level 1 kicked my butt for the first 4-5 days and then became heaps easier. Im loving level 2, its harder but its good having the change. Im doing the shred to tone up rather than loose weight and its definately working, ive already had comments on my arms, calves and stomach (after having 3 kids its nice to see the shape coming back to my tummy area!!).
  • lguy29
    Options
    Hiya, im on day 12 of the shred (and day2 of level 2) i found level 1 kicked my butt for the first 4-5 days and then became heaps easier. Im loving level 2, its harder but its good having the change. Im doing the shred to tone up rather than loose weight and its definately working, ive already had comments on my arms, calves and stomach (after having 3 kids its nice to see the shape coming back to my tummy area!!).

Way to go! I'm not expecting to lose much weight from this but hopefully toning up too. I'm doing other classes at my gym so this is just another 20 minutes of hard workouts for me!
  • mareed123
    mareed123 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yeh, the weight tends to come off easy for me i guess running around after the kids :) Looking forward to chatting with you!
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I bought it about a month ago, and kept putting it off, but after reading all the great posts about it, I decided to start it along with my regular gym workouts! So today was Level 1 day 1. I thought the strength would be easier than the cardio, but nope! By the second circuit I was looking forward to jumping jacks! lol, I've tried this about 2 years ago and didn't last past day 2 so I am determined to finish it and stay motivated!! I'm going to take measurements and pictures tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    check out the
    "ultimate 30 day shred thread"
    for inspiration! it always works for me!