"I can't eat all my calories omg what do"

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    When you eat clean foods 1200 calories can be a lot.

Or any food. One big azz Chipotle burrito, a McD's Chicken sammich and fries, or one of many big ol' burgers!

behemothburgers.jpg
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    this tends to go hand in hand with trying to restrict both carbs and fats IME. It is typically accompanied by the thinking the lean protein and veggies are all a healthy diet is allowed to consist of. Between boredom and fiber I can see having issues with that view on dieting.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Or any food. One big azz Chipotle burrito, a McD's Chicken sammich and fries, or one of many big ol' burgers!

behemothburgers.jpg

I'll have the #5 with onion rings please. ;)
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    DISORDERED THINKING. I eat healthy food and have no problem hitting at least 1500 daily usually could easily go over if I had a piece of toast and peanut butter. I think so many people start out on a diet and think all food except veggies are basically bad for them so they are so extreme its got them thinking that they feel full, sick or whatever on so little. I mean add some dressing or some olive oil to that salad. a handful of nuts. there's another 100 to 200 calories
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    I've been on WW four years, they allot a number of Daily and weekly Smart Points (SP). We see same lament from Newbies.
    Veterans would reply that they should go back and calculate how many points (calories) they were eating BEFORE they were dieting.
    I think it's the first time that they are actually paying attention to what and how much they are eating.
  • lalecrax
    lalecrax Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you see these posts every day

"Hi, I'm Sharon, I used to weigh 300lbs and consume 4000 calories a day but now I'm on a diet I can't force myself to eat 1200 calories, I'm full after 800 - 1000"

I don't think so. What is the aim of these posts exactly? Is it attention? I mean, a snickers bar is 250 calories. 20g peanut butter is 130 calories. A Caesar salad with dressing is 800 to 1000 calories. You can't eat a salad?

I'm not singling anyone out, I just don't get it.

Hmm... i am trying to find away to fill my calories. As at the end of the night i have 500cals to go and dont know what to eat. So i have late night snacks to fill the left over calories.

This is mainly because i eat not fetta cheese but cottage cheese, 99% fat free biscuits, soda water and they are low on calories.

A salad is healthy but the dressing is what makes it fastening.. maybe a little bit of olive oil, vinegar and a pinch of salt. Good luck though
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »

Awkward moment when my dinner calories were 1500+ calories, and its all clean :smiley:

I mean each to his/her own but seriously, somedays I eat 3800 calories depending on how heavy I workout, and never thought it was difficult to fill it. I get it with people that has been skinny all their lives and hates food though, not so much with others.

Not awkward at all. You're likely eating a lot of fat too. But if you aren't and you take the lean protein, and veggies route as many do starting out then 1200 calories can be a lot. I used to to do this diet when cutting weight for rowing and I was seriously stuffed.

This is a sample of my dinner from yesterday, Korean Dak Galbi I've made :smile: I had to keep potato a bit on the low side as I didn't have calories to spare this time, I am cutting right now.
    Each to their own though I mean, my aunt hates food, and I can't imagine her eating 1/5th of what I eat.
    7bwsttgndztx.png
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I struggle getting to 4000
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I admit... sometimes I struggle to eat all my calories... but I'm bulking.. and I have a dumb huge cal goal. I don't eat very "clean" either, but it's still tough to get the cals in. In my case it's also the mental aspect, eating to deliberately gain weight when my body really doesn't wanna... it's tough yo. :s
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    90% mental
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think a bit part of the 'I can't eat 1200 calories' thing is that people largely underestimate how much they are eating, period.

My first few days on MFP I barely ate 1000 calories - or so I thought. I mean I got a food scale a few weeks later and yeah, I was WAY off on my portion estimates. But it's true that my diet mostly consisted on high calorie/non filling things, so when I forced myself to stop eating junk when I wasn't hungry and eat more lean meat, Greek yogurt, veggies etc, I was full pretty fast. But there is definitely the whole 'I'm dieting so I can't eat ice cream or chocolate' mentality too. Once I got over that one, it really wasn't hard to eat my calories, lol.
  • alicemargaret88
    alicemargaret88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat all my calories, but part of that is busyness. I eat quite high protein and fiber so I feel satiated for longer periods of time.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options

"Hi, I'm Sharon, I used to weigh 300lbs and consume 4000 calories a day but now I'm on a diet I can't force myself to eat 1200 calories, I'm full after 800 - 1000"

I don't think so. What is the aim of these posts exactly? Is it attention? I mean, a snickers bar is 250 calories. 20g peanut butter is 130 calories. A Caesar salad with dressing is 800 to 1000 calories. You can't eat a salad?

Eating 4000 calories could be from one meal. Burger, fries, and dessert. Not all foods are created equal. Did you put any thought into this before you posted or was it for attention? I don't get it
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat all of my calories, and I resent the posts accusing "us" of disordered thinking or doing it wrong or whatever.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

That's because you have never experienced that change in hunger sensations.

This happens to me now; and I'm a woman who used to be unable to wait the five minutes to drive home before I'd start to eat whatever I'd bought for dinner!

You need to think about what you're saying. Are you really suggesting that when someone feels sated they should force themselves to continue to eat something random? Is that really a good thing for someone on a weight loss/healthy eating journey to teach themselves? Really? Really?

This is a real thing. You might want to consider what you can learn from it, rather than dismissing it.

(ETA: And this is one of the reasons I use MFP - to see how my day is going and adjust calories when I feel I can eat, so that I don't drop below a minimum)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »
    I struggle getting to 4000

Baby-Girl-Rolls-Her-Eyes-In-The-Car-On-a-Drive.gif
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

Awkward moment when my dinner calories were 1500+ calories, and its all clean :smiley:

I mean each to his/her own but seriously, somedays I eat 3800 calories depending on how heavy I workout, and never thought it was difficult to fill it. I get it with people that has been skinny all their lives and hates food though, not so much with others.

Not awkward at all. You're likely eating a lot of fat too. But if you aren't and you take the lean protein, and veggies route as many do starting out then 1200 calories can be a lot. I used to to do this diet when cutting weight for rowing and I was seriously stuffed.

This is a sample of my dinner from yesterday, Korean Dak Galbi I've made :smile: I had to keep potato a bit on the low side as I didn't have calories to spare this time, I am cutting right now.
    Each to their own though I mean, my aunt hates food, and I can't imagine her eating 1/5th of what I eat.
    7bwsttgndztx.png

That's TWENTY OUNCES OF CHICKEN AT ONE SITTING. Are you insane? Not everybody sits down and eats five servings of chicken. Or any chicken.